Leaving LEAF unatended for months

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
This discussion begs the question of what to do for long term storage of a LEAF in extreme cold weather, with temperatures below -4ºF (-20ºC). I guess I'd be inclined to put it at about 50%, plugged-in, charge timer set to charge about 15 minutes a day with an 80% limit. That way the 300 W battery heater could run as needed and the 12 V battery would get charged up during the daily charge cycle. But once the battery hit 80% the 12 V battery would no longer get charged.

Another possibility would be to charge to 80%, leave it unplugged and let the battery heater draw the traction pack down as needed. I believe that it shuts off when the traction pack hits 30% though.

Any thoughts?

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this: my garage doesn't go below freezing and I don't expect to need to leave my LEAF unused for more than ten days or so.
Use your regimen, and have somebody come around every 3 months or so and plug it in for a while. That should keep it in good shape.

Back