Leave Trickle Charger Plugged In? Disconnect?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennr01

In reading through the manual, there are a couple of evidently contrary recommendations regarding overnight vehicle charging. On the one hand, it didn't seem to be advised to leave the trickle charger attached to the car overnight after charging was completed. On the other hand, the manual states that leaving the trickle charger connected to the car overnight was a good thing, as you can enable the vehicle climate control in the morning without drawing down power from the onboard batteries.

Thoughts?

Leave it connected overnight. As you said, you might want to start Climate Control remotely, and if you start using 80% charging, you might want to restart charging remotely. Also, you may want to start using a timer to cause the charge cycle to end closer to when you leave in the morning. The threads that suggest unplugging are talking about LONGER periods like a vacation where it might be plugged in for more than a day. In those cases, the 12v battery may be drained, leaving you needing a jump (and possibly a new 12v battery).

glennr01 said:
In reading through the manual, there are a couple of evidently contrary recommendations regarding overnight vehicle charging. On the one hand, it didn't seem to be advised to leave the trickle charger attached to the car overnight after charging was completed. On the other hand, the manual states that leaving the trickle charger connected to the car overnight was a good thing, as you can enable the vehicle climate control in the morning without drawing down power from the onboard batteries.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of people just leave it in most of the time to reduce wear and tear on the outlet.

Back