LEAFs in St. Louis, Missouri?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smeara said:
I am strongly considering buying a Leaf and would want to run a 240V outlet to the outside of my home. Does anyone have a good recommendation for electrician? I live in the City of St. Louis. Trying to figure out what the "total cost" of owning a Leaf.

Keep in mind. You'll be able to deduct 30% of the cost of your EVSE installation off your taxes. As for electricians.. Reinhold Electric is alright.

smeara said:
I am strongly considering buying a Leaf and would want to run a 240V outlet to the outside of my home. Does anyone have a good recommendation for electrician? I live in the City of St. Louis. Trying to figure out what the "total cost" of owning a Leaf.

I used Reinhold in South County as they are a sub contractor for us at work. They did a good job on my project but they employ many so ymmv as usual.

http://reinholdelectricinc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We went with Grasser Electric for our install. No idea if they're cheapest or not.. we bought the charger off of amazon. They were great to work with though and we've used them for a number of other projects and been VERY happy.

On another note, I swapped my 2012 after a year (10k miles) for a 2013 and for St. Louis driving it's been a MAJOR improvement. My day starts around Highway K & 70 in O'Fallon, MO.. I work over near Page and 270.. I usually get back home with about 50% battery remaining (without driving conservatively). Previously I was lucky to have about 30% left. Obviously different routes, driving conditions and locations make a huge difference.. but with the new ECO route function I can even get home with 60% left. The normal route I always drove before is improved though, so I have to say, as a St. Louis driver, the improvements they made do help us in our environment.

sorphin said:
2013 Silver SV here in the Lou. Came from Fusz (they always take care of me, so they continue to get my business). @wsbsteven I'm in SoCo too.

Edit: As an aside.. If you're ever around the Maryland Heights area... French Gerleman (right off of Page) has a charger outside (they don't advertise) that is free to use... Clippercreek... it fed my '13 6KW w/o issue.
Been looking at the building via Bing Maps and rotating the view. Where is the charger located?

I am in the process of moving and will be buying a car shortly after (used to walk to work). I'll be out in O'Fallon driving to Lucas & Hunt off of 70 each day (a few miles past the airport). No charging stations at work yet, Google pegs the round trip at just under 60 miles. Given the weather in STL, any thoughts on if the Leaf range will cut it for me year round? I've heard really hot and really cold can cut the range and I'll only have about 15 miles to lose :)

Thanks!

CoffeeAddict said:
I am in the process of moving and will be buying a car shortly after (used to walk to work). I'll be out in O'Fallon driving to Lucas & Hunt off of 70 each day (a few miles past the airport). No charging stations at work yet, Google pegs the round trip at just under 60 miles. Given the weather in STL, any thoughts on if the Leaf range will cut it for me year round? I've heard really hot and really cold can cut the range and I'll only have about 15 miles to lose :)

Thanks!

Coffee, from other side of the state, you should be mostly good but in the worst winter weather you'll want to bundle up, especially socks. Even if you go for a '13 SL or SV with the better heater in the deep cold it will still use the resistance heater which sucks up battery juice like no body's business.

Here's a good thread - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personal example, May 1, 2013 - drove route and that day m/kWh was 5.5. Next day after it snowed and was slushy, same trip was 4.5 miles/kWh and later that night with the heater on it was 3.5 miles/kWh.

If you preheat at home and use the heated seats and steering wheel you should be good especially if you can keep it down to 55 instead of 70 mph.

CoffeeAddict said:

Thanks!

I'm near K/Mexico in O'Fallon and I drive to Page/270 daily. With my 2012 I would get to 70/270 just as I lost my 2nd bar of charge as I hit 270 under perfect conditions. I'd make it home with 40ish percent. With my 2013, my 2nd bar drops at the same place.. while going highway speeds with AC on, etc. These days I get home with about 50% remaining running AC both directions. If you'd like to arrange a quick trip there and back to see if it'd work, drop me a message.

Hello, all. I have not taken the step yet, but am thinking seriously of it. Has anyone dealt with the folks out at West County Nissan? I live about a mile from there, but I want to make sure I'm dealing with folks that know the cars! I am not adverse to travelling in the St. Louis area.

I've wanted electric for a long time and the Leaf really looks like an amazing vehicle. I work less than 1 mile from the French-Gerleman office that has a charger out front and I hunted it down the other day. It looks like there are more and more stations coming on line here in the St. Louis area and just looking at the inventory at a couple of dealers, looks like I can get pretty much what I want.

TIA

Jerry

Sorry, no experience with West County Nissan.. there's a single dedicated guy at Lou Fusz that I dealt with (Jimmy) who was ok. Andy Pomeroy at St Charles was good as well, but lacked a bit of Leaf knowledge (good car guy though). St. Charles Nissan sales didn't know any more than I did. Their service department actually said I may have to disconnect the 12V battery semi-regularly to fix carwings connection issues. I went to Lou Fusz to trade in my 2012 to 2013 and had a hard time getting in touch with the 1 person who does Leaf items (despite not needing knowledge, I just needed someone who could run numbers). In the end he made the numbers work - so far I've not tried their service department.

I work at Bunge currently in the Westport area and previously at Edward Jones - so far I've never needed to visit the charger at French-Geleman office in the year and a bit that I've been driving Leafs. Unless you can't charge at home or are driving a long way, you may not need to charge when away from the house.

I have the 240V at home (O'Fallon, MO).
I drive daily to Westport (25 miles each way) - get home with 45-60% remaining while driving with AC and speeding.
Getting to Chesterfield mall on the weekends with the family in the car is no stretch either.
Today I'll be going to the airport to pick someone up after work - not planning to charge until home tonight.

Some good questions to find out if the dealer knows anything:
* Q: Is 240V required? A: No, but it helps, a lot
* Q: How do you put the car in neutral? A: Hold shifter to left while pressing brake
* Q: What is carwings? A: The Internet interface to control charging and remote climate control

--
- Aaron

Thanks Aaron!

Right now my commute would be less than 30 miles round trip. I think I was just excited to see the proliferation of charges in our area. I don't have 220 at the house yet. I live in an older home and power to the garage is very limited. I'm thinking down the road of getting a box installed in the garage. I really need better power out there anyway and the leaf would make a good excuse to get it done!

I work not too far from you. I'm near the Lindbergh page intersection. Haven't see you drive by...yet! lol...

For your limited drive, you probably could do without the 240v. I used the 120V charger that came with the car for the first couple months. The Leaf would normally be done charging around 4-5am, even with it down to 30-40% when I got home. My main motivation for 240 was that I had a few days that I drove it down to 20% and was concerned about having it charged in time for work the next day.

I worked with Dustin out at Bommarito Nissan and he was very knowledgable. My experience with any dealer, your mileage will vary so the experience will not be the same as what someone else had.

I worked with Matt over at Lou Fusz. He is new to car salesmanship, but seems know a bit about the leaf and is learning fast. I must say their sales manger is very big on the leaf. He stated that Nissan has offered the dealers a QC unit and all they have to do is pay for installation. He told me he doesn't have a date for delivery yet, but he is looking forward to getting it install. He is also set up training with the regional Nissan leaf rep to train all up all his salesmen and they sold 3 leafs last Friday.

They have 3 charging stations that I could see and he told me a lot of people hookup and walk over to the cinema about 2 blocks away while their car charges.....

Like wsbsteven stated, YMMV with any dealer, but I really like the car and the people over at Fusz seems to be more low key than most.

Like most, can't wait for them to get this thing over 200 Miles per charge. That would be a killer!

Just checking in. Joined the club yesterday. See details of my lease in the leasing forum and thread.

Wildwood we have another Leaf ! electrician just left, charger on the wall, heading out for a night out downtown, slipping down 44, very quietly

;-)

They have 3 charging stations that I could see and he told me a lot of people hookup and walk over to the cinema about 2 blocks away while their car charges.....

Like wsbsteven stated, YMMV with any dealer, but I really like the car and the people over at Fusz seems to be more low key than most.

I agree, Fusz is like going to friends house who owns a Leaf, super low key but also very knowledgable, excited about the car, eager to help. A different approach for sure.

ps - i was there last week, 4 shoppers on the lot, 3 of them looking at Leafs! Electric is catching on ;-)

I got mine at Lou Fusz as well. They were fantastic and easy to work with. I was surprise they didn't force me to make a deal that day when I told them let me sleep on it. Came back the next day and closed on the deal.

Back