Leaf yearly scheduled maintenance info/cost?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EricBayArea said:
Additionally, has someone actually observed a battery test being performed? Do they hook up the car, hit a couple of buttons, walk away for an hour and then come back to a "report" screen? Or do they actively have to monitor the computer for an hour or so? Because if its the former, then I'd take issue with that.

They have to stay with the machine and continuously turn a crank while the test is on-going.. but you make a good point, hire a wino and pay him minimum wage to turn that crank. Make sure he is only a part time employee or it could turn expensive, and none of the living wage crap.

The scary part about this test is that your brake system is slowly corroding away to generate this low voltage, all the time.

Herm said:
The scary part about this test is that your brake system is slowly corroding away to generate this low voltage, all the time.
How slowly 25 years to failure?

My maintenence cost for the first year is zero zip nil nada nothing. :)

smkettner said:
My maintenence cost for the first year is zero zip nil nada nothing. :)
+1. I had tires rotated for free at Discount Tire, and battery check was done free when the last software update was applied at the dealer (without even asking for it). I'm not planning on having brake fluid flushed or cabin filter changed until the 24-month service, and I'll probably do that myself.

TT

I tend to drive my cars hard and until recently I was for doing minimal maitenance and some extras. But I has since reversed my beliefs on maintenance. My grandpa was a mechanic and my dad, while not a mechanic, learned a heck of a lot of car repairs from him (I have fond memories helping him replace breaks, pumps, electric car windows [when the motors were cheap and didn't last]), etc.)

I have always done the 3k mileage oil change, air filter 6k and that was it - only replacing spark plugs and such as they wore out. It was easy on the cheap teenage-type cars and I did it all myself.

As I got older and had a few cars, they were more complicated and more to break. I started doing the extra maintence recommened by the kwik lube, etc. (could no longer change my own oil and filter when I had a car with the filter in the worst impossible place). Then my wife got her cute sports car. Repairs were costly! I decided to actually pay attention to when maintenace should occur for the oil instead of the 3k (it was 10k for her car). When we got burned a couple of times for overly expensive "extra" repairs I did more digging and come up with a simple conclusion: Just doe the maintenance in the maintenance schedule.

The time between maintenance versus the old 3k or 3 months is better, the cars can withstand that. Plus you don't get burned by extra engine tuning, etc. I have had cheaper repairs and cheaper maintenance overall doing this.

Yes, the car manufacturer can be bloating the repairs, but having a cousin get into the auto industry, mostly, those repairs come from the design engineers. It may be fluffed by execs, but not too much he said. Its the dealerships (especially the bad ones), that add the horrible upgraded repairs.

As for my 15k - it was 20 for the tire rotation 80 for the filter and 80 for the brakes. The tires were out of balance and the alignment was off so those small repairs were completed too (this makes sense, I have really bad roads in some of my commute and LOTS of bad construction zones). Am I a sucker for doing the brake fluid? maybe. But somewhere it was recommened by an engineer to do it a quicker interval that most, maybe it was bumped up earlier, who knows, but I figure its a small price to pay that doing all the other engine tunes dealerships tack on.

So far, doing things like this, my cars have been trouble free (or I could have just gotten real lucky!)

I just got this in my email. Our 2012 Leaf is approaching 10 months and 12K. I completed the 7.5K service and the next one in the manual is 15K or 12 months. What is an "Intermediate scheduled service interval"? "

October 6, 2013

Dear Patrick,

Our records indicate that your 2012 NISSAN LEAF ELECTRIC is due for its Intermediate scheduled service interval. This service interval is critical in helping to extend the life of your vehicle.

Business hours for our Service Department are as follows:

Monday - Friday 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM

Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Please stop by or call one of our Service Advisors at (800) 718-5751 to schedule an appointment.

At Alan Webb Nissan we are committed to your complete satisfaction.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sincerely,

Brent Williams
Service Manager"

It's a way for the dealer to make money off you for unneeded service. Ignore it. By the way, other than an optional tire rotation, there IS no 7,500 mile service on a Leaf...

Turnover said:
I just got this in my email. Our 2012 Leaf is approaching 10 months and 12K. I completed the 7.5K service and the next one in the manual is 15K or 12 months. What is an "Intermediate scheduled service interval"? "

Back