Leaf trip from Portland, Oregon to Spokane Washington?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knarlyd

Just curious if anyone has attempted this trip in their Leaf?

I have a 2013 SL with the QC port however it seems that heading toward Spokane, WA, the Dalles Oregon is the only en-route to have a DC QC that I've found. I see a few spots for L2 but have no idea if it's even plausible within a reasonable time to get all the way over to Spokane.
It usually takes 6 hours in an ICE car so would be curious how long it might take to do it if attempted?...

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, that is never going to happen. Just rent a car or trade with a friend. Like you said, you can get to the Dalles, but then you're done and you're only about a quarter of the way there. If you tried to do it with L2 and trailer parks and such, it would be a 3-day trip.

Knarlyd said:
It usually takes 6 hours in an ICE car so would be curious how long it might take to do it if attempted?...

Depends on what you think of as a realistic time.

Need to have a portable EVSE for RV parks, and extra of time. Optimistic first cut:

Portland to the Dalles is 2 or three DQCS, add about an hour (20 minutes per stop)
Dalles to Maryhill state park, 25 miles, charge for about an hour
Maryhill to Crow Butte state park, 57 miles, charge for about 2.5 hours
Crow butte to Pasco, several different potential stops for charging, but mostly business hours. 55 miles, about 3 hours
Pasco to (MAYBE) Coyote Run RV park in Connell, WA, 40 miles, about an 1.5 hours
Connell to Cedars Inn RV Park and Hotel in Ritzville, 43 miles, 1.5 hours
Ritzville to Spokane...

Looks to me like adding at least 11 hours to the trip.

Why not take the train?

My experience on these long trips when QC stations are available is doubling of the ICE time. You could do this with an EVSE such as the JESLA, but using RV outlets at 6.6KwH is going to take awhile longer.

Arlington, OR is in the process of installing a QC. Once that is done you could make it to Pasco with perhaps a stop at the Boardman RV Park. One possible problem right now is that there are a lot of crews working on the changeover from coal to gas on the power plant who are using much of the available RV resources.

Knarlyd, I did a thought expt with my 2011 and came up with 12 hrs from Pasco to Portland. I did a similar thought expt from Pasco to Spokane and came up with something similar (except I didn't think I'd make it to Ritzville due to elevation change). Now with a 2013 with 6 KW+QC, you will cut that down substantially. However, you will still require at least one night stay. Also, remember that some of these areas are really desolate, sometimes 10-20 miles between L1 plugs! I would only do it if I had at least a week of vacation to burn (see my signature trip below). That said, give it a try and prove me wrong! I'll be willing to help with a charge when you get here.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "thought expt"?

If the proposed DC QC does get put into Arlington, Oregon, it very well may make this trip a possibility, even tho it may add 2-3+ hours more to the trip.
I think it's been approved there and possibly very close to fruition. Seen a few messages in this forum talking about Arlington.
That would be great, however if the time from Portland to Spokane goes from 6 hrs in ICE vehicle to 12 hours, not even remotely worth it IMO. :D

Thanks for reply!

Reddy said:
Knarlyd, I did a thought expt with my 2011 and came up with 12 hrs from Pasco to Portland. I did a similar thought expt from Pasco to Spokane and came up with something similar (except I didn't think I'd make it to Ritzville due to elevation change). Now with a 2013 with 6 KW+QC, you will cut that down substantially. However, you will still require at least one night stay. Also, remember that some of these areas are really desolate, sometimes 10-20 miles between L1 plugs! I would only do it if I had at least a week of vacation to burn (see my signature trip below). That said, give it a try and prove me wrong! I'll be willing to help with a charge when you get here.

Back