Leaf to go gas / electric?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

Just got off phone with Illinois Secretary of State office to enquire as to EV plates.

Lady there told me ... Nissan Leaf, having spoken to various dealers ... were changing the Leaf due to Range Anxiety problems ... to a gas / electric like the Volt.

Not adding a model.

Had anyone else heard this?

Called my dealer ... they've not heard about it.

Many people very surprised that is not able to use gas and need to be recharged. Confused with Volt that already here for more than 6 months but first official OK delivery still 3 weeks away

Yes, I had the same issue come up. I was telling my neighbor how the LEAF was completely electric, and he kept asking, "So, where do you put the gas?".

He must have heard the same completely unsubstantiated rumor as your completely unqualified government employee spewed to you.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, I had the same issue come up. I was telling my neighbor how the LEAF was completely electric, and he kept asking, "So, where do you put the gas?".

He must have heard the same completely unsubstantiated rumor as your completely unqualified government employee spewed to you.

Sounds like your neighbor might have been asking the same old generic question I hear often.
Or they were confused by the Volt?

I cannot believe Ghosn would start the huge "Zero emmission" bandwagon, only to trip at GM's doors.

sp4rk said:
TonyWilliams said:
Funny that you say that. I've had a lot of folks think my Leaf is a hybrid. But I was shocked yesterday when I let a guy drive my Leaf who is building his own EV. (I assumed by that, that he would know a lot about EVs.) After a mile or so down the road he asked, "How far can it go before the gas engine kicks on?" I was shocked. Then when I explained that there was no gas engine, he was shocked. He was unaware that anyone was manufacturing an all-electric vehicle. Which, again, just goes to show that most people are unaware of the existence of the Leaf or what it really is.

sp4rk said:
Just got off phone with Illinois Secretary of State office to enquire as to EV plates.

Lady there told me ... Nissan Leaf, having spoken to various dealers ... were changing the Leaf due to Range Anxiety problems ... to a gas / electric like the Volt.

Not adding a model.

Your information is from a government agency, well that explains it. Come on, for real, that person has no knowledge of what she is talking about. Does she have an inside informant at Nissan. lol

Loving my 2011 Chili,

Ian B

A lot of the confusion was caused, I believe, by GM introducing the Volt as an EV, then a Range-Extended EV, then something like "more Car than EV".

Thus, the sound "EV" and "Plugging-In" were first "heard" by many as associated with a Volt. It was rarely ever mentioned that the Volt is simply a Plug-In Gas-Electric Hybrid (PHEV). Even then, the "EV" part is still there.

Our LEAF might be called a "NGEV" (No-Gas EV), so my first description to most people is "All Electric, No Gas", then "No more Gas Stations, No Buying Gas" to better get it in terms that they are easily familiar with.

I think she may have gotten the Leaf confused with the Infinity (Nissan) Emerge-e extended range concept.

http://www.plugincars.com/infiniti-emerg-e-extended-range-electric-vehicle-debut-geneva-motor-show-111870.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favorite FAQ is "Why don't they make it so the battery recharges while you're driving?"
I get that with my electric bicycle.
"Well , yes , I can do that but I would be dead before I got enough charge in it to go anywhere on electric".

sp4rk said:

Not adding a model.

Hey 'sp4rk' be sure to start posting over on the Chicagoland thread about your dealer experience, etc. -- the IL 'EL' series plates were up to about 313 a few months ago so we'll all be curious how high they've gone, I've only seen one other LEAF 'in the wild' over the 4 months we've owned ours and that one didn't even have an EL plate (just a regular one). You can find the entire thread below, lots of good local info:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=357

LTLFTcomposite said:
My favorite FAQ is "Why don't they make it so the battery recharges while you're driving?"

actually, I always wondered that myself! I just assumed that the answer was that until the vast majority of street transport was powered by electricity, it simply isn't cost effective to build wireless charging into the roads. Also, there might be some social resistance in the usa from people feeling that using a car's rfid to financially charge the car's owner is somehow a violation of privacy... although presumably that ability to charge on-road would be controlled by the driver.

earther said:
that until the vast majority of street transport was powered by electricity, it simply isn't cost effective to build wireless charging into the roads. .
I suspect the cost for inductively charging roads would be astronomical. The public would certainly not be happy with their tax money going to that.

earther said:
...wireless charging...
No, thanks. That sounds like a recipe for cancer to me! Even the amount of power available from sunlight is enough to cause cancer and it is barely enough to power very exotic, expensive, impractical vehicles today.

adric22 said:
earther said:
that until the vast majority of street transport was powered by electricity, it simply isn't cost effective to build wireless charging into the roads. .
I suspect the cost for inductively charging roads would be astronomical. The public would certainly not be happy with their tax money going to that.
I would propose an overhead conductive system for long uphill stretches on the open road. Kinda like an electric bus.

adric22 said:
sp4rk said:
TonyWilliams said:
Funny that you say that. I've had a lot of folks think my Leaf is a hybrid. But I was shocked yesterday when I let a guy drive my Leaf who is building his own EV. (I assumed by that, that he would know a lot about EVs.) After a mile or so down the road he asked, "How far can it go before the gas engine kicks on?" I was shocked. Then when I explained that there was no gas engine, he was shocked. He was unaware that anyone was manufacturing an all-electric vehicle. Which, again, just goes to show that most people are unaware of the existence of the Leaf or what it really is.

Is this hyperbole? I cannot believe anyone could be this ignorant or stupid or both. To people like this live in a cave and only watch TV sitcoms?

Dave

RegGuheert said:
earther said:
...wireless charging...
No, thanks. That sounds like a recipe for cancer to me! Even the amount of power available from sunlight is enough to cause cancer and it is barely enough to power very exotic, expensive, impractical vehicles today.

Nonsense! You have been exposed to cancer in the food you eat, the water you drink, the air you breathe so why worry about electrical currents or the non ionizing radiation from a cell phone or the TV and radio stations? And for a real shocker you are radioactive too - it's called potassium 40 and is responsible for 20 mrem of radiation dose every year you live.

Back