Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will update this list as I make changes to the next release version.

Features/Fixes coming in version 0.28.10
* support metric for speed & Altitude on screen 4
* fix bug where first entry in log file might have old Gid reading. Changed code so initial Log entry is only made after one complete cycle of reading data from the Leaf.

Hi,
Great app, Turbo3.
I 'm on CM7 also, mainly because of privacy concerns about Google, I delibratly choose an alternative ROM to be "free" from the Google navel cord, not having my device calling home every day/hour, with whatever uncontrollable data. Not to mention the not uninstallable apps, from which alot even run all the time in the background.
I 'm quite happy with my clean and fast rooted CM7 device. (HTC WildFire (Buzz))
Also the fact that Google is getting easy money for YOUR programming work, is debatable, imho.
To cut a long story short:
Is there an alternative way to get leafspy? Money is not the issue, I would not have a problem paying twice the price you ask, as long as I don't have to install the Playstore. (and the rest of the Google-apps)

Saturday I helped one member get his App and Dongle to
work properly. I discovered that the Port setting, normally 1,
was set to 2. When I set the Port to 1, and restarted the app
it worked perfectly.

Yes, his App was not the most current version, but now
he feels more confident to continue learning enough
to "bond" with the data, and eventually get a LEAF Spy version.

Just setting up an account with Google to be able to
use the Play Store will take some hand-holding.

Great work, many have contributed their efforts and
discoveries to expand our experience with the LEAF.
Thanks to all, Gary

Hi all,

I'd like to keep track of my battery's health (by which I mean it's capacity level) over time. I've purchased the Leafspy app, and am trying to find where I can find the maximum capacity level expressed in gids or kWh.

What I CAN find are how many GIDs currently remaining (140 currently at a 56.8% SOC), and (10.8) kWh remaining.

Basic math can tell me the extrapolated max GIDs (14000/56.8x=246.4788 GIDs) or kWh (1080/56.8x= 19.014 kWh), but I the kWh seems pretty low for a brand new battery so I'm thinking something is off there.

Is there a way to have the app display a max GIDs/kWh without charging to 100% (then reading the current levels)?

In the log file, the decimal places of the coordinates of GPS include a comma.
At the same time, the column separator character is also the comma.
When we open the log in excel, this comma decimal separator of the gps coordinates generates one more column.
There will not be a better solution for this?
I hope you understood the question. Excuse the bad English ... :oops: :oops:

Turbo3 said:
I will update this list as I make changes to the next release version.

Features/Fixes coming in version 0.28.10
* support metric for speed & Altitude on screen 4
* fix bug where first entry in log file might have old Gid reading. Changed code so initial Log entry is only made after one complete cycle of reading data from the Leaf.
Very good!
When it is expected to launch the new version?

VETL said:
When we open the log in excel, this comma decimal separator of the gps coordinates generates one more column.
I have added code to 0.28.10 to replace any commas found in GPS coordinates with a decimal point.

This issue is caused by your region settings where whole and fractions are separated by a comma instead of a decimal point.

This brings up a good question, where this is the standard does that area of the world not have CSV files. What do they use instead?

EV1 said:
Hi,
Great app, Turbo3.
I 'm on CM7 also, mainly because of privacy concerns about Google, I delibratly choose an alternative ROM to be "free" from the Google navel cord, not having my device calling home every day/hour, with whatever uncontrollable data. Not to mention the not uninstallable apps, from which alot even run all the time in the background.
I 'm quite happy with my clean and fast rooted CM7 device. (HTC WildFire (Buzz))
Also the fact that Google is getting easy money for YOUR programming work, is debatable, imho.
To cut a long story short:
Is there an alternative way to get leafspy? Money is not the issue, I would not have a problem paying twice the price you ask, as long as I don't have to install the Playstore. (and the rest of the Google-apps)
I am trying to get Leaf Spy up on the Amazon site for Kindle users so you could try downloading it from there when it is available if you don't like PlayStore.

Right now I am having problems with Kindles where my app crashes when you change orientations a few times because Kindles seem to have poor garbage collection and the memory allocated to old screen images is not reclaimed and soon fills up all available memory. I may have to lock the orientation for Kindles as a quick temporary fix until I add code to do the garbage collection inside the app.

goaliepride said:
Basic math can tell me the extrapolated max GIDs

It appears the MY13 LEAF hides a number of available GIDs, similar to how an ICE vehicle's needle might be on empty when there's actually 1/8 of a tank left.
This would mean that extrapolation will underestimate capacity more and more as the SOC% drops.

For MY13, you should read these threads:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14142
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776

Otherwise, you may think you have a lemon when your battery probably has slightly more capacity than a new 2012 one.

goaliepride said:
Hi all,

I'd like to keep track of my battery's health (by which I mean it's capacity level) over time. I've purchased the Leafspy app, and am trying to find where I can find the maximum capacity level expressed in gids or kWh.

What I CAN find are how many GIDs currently remaining (140 currently at a 56.8% SOC), and (10.8) kWh remaining.

Basic math can tell me the extrapolated max GIDs (14000/56.8x=246.4788 GIDs) or kWh (1080/56.8x= 19.014 kWh), but I the kWh seems pretty low for a brand new battery so I'm thinking something is off there.

Is there a way to have the app display a max GIDs/kWh without charging to 100% (then reading the current levels)?
The maximum capacity is expressed in AHr on the top line on the first screen. Multiply by 360 to get kWh. Divide resulting kWh by 80 to get Gids (or some value between 75 to 80).

Turbo3 said:
VETL said:
I have added code to 0.28.10 to replace any commas found in GPS coordinates with a decimal point.?
Thanks!

Turbo3 said:
This brings up a good question, where this is the standard does that area of the world not have CSV files. What do they use instead?

True ;) ;) I don't like too. But here is what we have...

Turbo3 said:
goaliepride said:
Hi all,

The maximum capacity is expressed in AHr on the top line on the first screen. Multiply by 360 to get kWh. Divide resulting kWh by 80 to get Gids (or some value between 75 to 80).

My Ahr is 60.68, x360 = 21844.8 kWh? I'm clearly doing something wrong there. I'll check the other '13 threads, thanks for those

As I am coming to a complete stop, I notice the Watt-Hours used on screen 4, decrease, due to regen, like I would expect.

But on some occasions, after I've completely stopped, the Watt-Hours number continues to decrease. Here's an example
from this morning:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HjM12jzToQ[/youtube]

I had stopped at a parking lot, during which time, the Watt-Hours slowly counts down, but after about 40 seconds, it begins rising again.

Is this behavior expected/explainable, ie, is it a feature or a bug?

goaliepride said:
Turbo3 said:
goaliepride said:
Hi all,

My Ahr is 60.68, x360 = 21844.8 kWh? I'm clearly doing something wrong there. I'll check the other '13 threads, thanks for those

Divide by 100. That will give you 21.84 kWh. About right for a new battery.

jaimev said:
As I am coming to a complete stop, I notice the Watt-Hours used on screen 4, decrease, due to regen, like I would expect.

But on some occasions, after I've completely stopped, the Watt-Hours number continues to decrease. Here's an example
from this morning:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HjM12jzToQ[/youtube]

I had stopped at a parking lot, during which time, the Watt-Hours slowly counts down, but after about 40 seconds, it begins rising again.

Is this behavior expected/explainable, ie, is it a feature or a bug?
By definition the behavior is normal because that is what the Leaf is doing.

The number being displayed is the change in available energy in the battery. It is not the energy going into or out of the battery.

The Leaf battery manager determines this value second by second. There are many factors that change the amount of energy available from the battery at any given moment. One would be the energy going back in because of regeneration. Another would be battery temperature. So you could see where available energy could go up because of regen but also as the battery warms up as it charges from regen. (But too high a temp would lower available energy.)

Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
...Is this behavior expected/explainable, ie, is it a feature or a bug?
By definition the behavior is normal because that is what the Leaf is doing.

The number being displayed is the change in available energy in the battery. It is not the energy going into or out of the battery.

The Leaf battery manager determines this value second by second. There are many factors that change the amount of energy available from the battery at any given moment. One would be the energy going back in because of regeneration. Another would be battery temperature. So you could see where available energy could go up because of regen but also as the battery warms up as it charges from regen. (But too high a temp would lower available energy.)

Ahh..thanks. You're right...my incorrect assumption was that it represented the energy flow into/out of the battery. The way it really works makes sense.

Turbo3 said:
Sorry, the correct formula is Ah x voltage = Wh.

So 60.68 Ah, x 360v = 21844.8 Wh which is 21.8448 kWh.

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks for the update. To figure kWh we ought to just say *.36, so 60.68 * .36 = 21.8736.

Turbo3 said:

There isn't a universally agreed upon standard but the easy fix is to just enclose the values in double quotes. Then encoding any double quotes with double double quotes.

They might also use CSV to mean character seperated values where the character is a semicolon, tab, etc.

Purchased the Pro version this week.
Installed the Google Apps on a spare phone and tranferred the APK.
Will have to figure out how to deal with updates.

App functions just fine on HTC Wildfire(Buzz) A3333, with minor issues, like not being able to set different colors, maybe has something to do with the small screen (240x320).

Whats the function of the on/off radiobutton in the doors menu? In my 2012 Leaf, even when the button is in OFF position, the doors still lock/unlock as set in the dropdown-menu "Automatic". Only when OFF is selected in this drop down-menu the door/lock unlock stays off.

Anyway, great app!

Back