Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
I will see what I can do. But the upper left number is always the front left tire. Orientation does not change that. Top of screen always has the android notification area and clock so that is the front of the car. Left is left right is right. So you are looking down on the car. But if an arrow makes that clearer it can be added between the top two numbers.

mine is reversed. i have my screen in landscape mode and the tires align with the position of the car if the phone is the car and I am sitting in it facing towards the left side. so my upper numbers would be front right (upper left) rear right (upper right)

lower left= front left, lower left. rear left = lower right

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:
I will see what I can do. But the upper left number is always the front left tire. Orientation does not change that. Top of screen always has the android notification area and clock so that is the front of the car. Left is left right is right. So you are looking down on the car. But if an arrow makes that clearer it can be added between the top two numbers.

mine is reversed. i have my screen in landscape mode and the tires align with the position of the car if the phone is the car and I am sitting in it facing towards the left side. so my upper numbers would be front right (upper left) rear right (upper right)

lower left= front left, lower left. rear left = lower right
To correct that you would need to run the Tire Registration procedure in Leaf Spy Pro. The app displays the tire pressures based on where your Leaf "thinks" the tires are located.

You can see why Nissan does not make this information visible to the driver. Unless the tires are properly registered you don't know how to match up a pressure with a tire (unless you go measure each tire yourself).

Just uploaded the test version of Leaf Spy Pro (0.29.18) to Play Store that includes the new Brake screen. Should be available to testers in about 90 minutes.

To activate go to Settings/Debug and check the "Enable Brake Screen" check box. If you have both the Service screen and Brake screen enabled the Service screen takes priority.

Report any issues/suggestions here.

Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded the test version of Leaf Spy Pro (0.29.18) to Play Store that includes the new Brake screen. Should be available to testers in about 90 minutes.

To activate go to Settings/Debug and check the "Enable Brake Screen" check box. If you have both the Service screen and Brake screen enabled the Service screen takes priority.

Report any issues/suggestions here.

I just ordered my dongle for the Leaf, but will try it out when it arrives from China. Swapping out the snow tires every 6 months with the different TPMS.

Here is the first test version (axis labels not correctly formatted) of the next screen. Once available, you will get it by tapping the Brake screen.

rhda.png

ztue.png

Red is Accelerator position, Green inverter and Blue Motor Amps. Final version will drop inverter as it normally follows motor amps until you hit regen. Regen is more interesting. Colors will change a little to be more readable in day and night versions.

Here it is with clean x/y axis markings. Removed 12 volt battery voltage and SOC% since they will not be updated while this screen is displayed.
Day Version
2icj.png

Night Version
l3b3.png

Need to look into what happen to "0" on the right edge.

Here is the final version of the motor current and accelerator charting screen.

Added a highlighted zero current line and changed scaling on accelerator so it would not go above current base line. This way the two lines never cross. Accelerator off is at the bottom line (-400) and full on is at current base line (0 amps) so each grid line is 25%.

You can easily see regeneration happening when the accelerator is let off (negative amps). Also note at the end when the car is almost stopped the current goes up to about 125 amps and then drops to zero. This is the creep current (Leaf moves even with foot not pressing accelerator just like ICE cars). At the right hand side you can see the creep current is on for 3 seconds as the car is still moving then drops to zero when the Leaf fully stops and your foot is still hard on the brake. If you let up the brake too much the creep current will come back even though the Leaf is not moving. The chart stops moving when the amps go to zero which is why you don't see large sections of accelerator at 0% and amps=0. So time is not continuous but stops when the Leaf is stopped (and no creep current).

Will be interesting to see what if any differences can be seen between 2011/12 and 2013 Leafs.

phsd.png

ztc9.png

Just released version 0.29.19 for beta testing. Should be available for install in about 90 minutes.

Enable Brake screen in Settings/Debug then tap Brake screen to see Motor Amps/Accelerator screen. Initially will be filled with test data (Sin wave amps and linear step of accelerator).

Best viewed in Landscape mode.

Direct link. But you need to be member of test group to see it and logged into Google with id used to originally buy Leaf Spy Pro or it will ask you to buy it again. Check for date of December 14 which is 0.29.19 version. Dec 13 is previous version.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

I was using Leaf Spy Pro to log a trip I took this weekend, and encountered a couple odd things.

First, for a portion of the log, every other line looks something like this:
Code:
1p 1l,97.15,0,9322,23,202,35.5,35.75,35.5,35.25,43,96,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What's that?

Second, for a large portion of my trip nothing was logged at all. I suspect it's because Leaf Spy Pro was in the background during these times. However it still had an icon in the notifications, so I assumed it was still running a background service and logging my data for me. Is there a way to make it do this?

Thanks,
Tyrel

I noticed the app crashes when logging is activated and there's no more space on the Android. I didn't know why LEAF Spy and LEAF Spy Lite continued to work but I turned on your advanced debugging features and it finally told me it was out of space so I was able to move my old log files onto a computer and start using it again for logging.

And man do I get bold with LEAF Spy: this is my at the end of a 70+ mi trip in 0C or so weather just as I parked in front of a L2 EVSE at my destination.

Screenshot_2013-12-14-08-32-25.png

Computerizer said:
I was using Leaf Spy Pro to log a trip I took this weekend, and encountered a couple odd things.

Code:
1p 1l,97.15,0,9322,23,202,35.5,35.75,35.5,35.25,43,96,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What's that?

Second, for a large portion of my trip nothing was logged at all. I suspect it's because Leaf Spy Pro was in the background during these times. However it still had an icon in the notifications, so I assumed it was still running a background service and logging my data for me. Is there a way to make it do this?

Thanks,
Tyrel
Currently logging only works if the app is on screen. When you switch away android suspends the main app so only the service routine is running. The enable for logging comes from the main routine so when it does not run there is no logging. I will look to see if I can put a timer in the service routine to control logging.

As far as the bad data I just did a test with the latest test version and don't see any problem. What version of Leaf Spy Pro?

Could you send me the log file? ([email protected]) Compress if very large.

TimeHorse said:
I noticed the app crashes when logging is activated and there's no more space on the Android. I didn't know why LEAF Spy and LEAF Spy Lite continued to work but I turned on your advanced debugging features and it finally told me it was out of space so I was able to move my old log files onto a computer and start using it again for logging.

And man do I get bold with LEAF Spy: this is my at the end of a 70+ mi trip in 0C or so weather just as I parked in front of a L2 EVSE at my destination.

So you are the one. I just got a crash report from Play Store with the error being out of space.

Do I need to check for a certain amount of space before allowing you to do logging? Or probably just show space remaining on SD card.

Do you have the reserve set to 0%? That is the only way I can explain why you still have 2.4 km to go for reserve.

Perhaps I should change the label if you select 0% to "to 0" instead of "rsrv".

Turbo3 said:
Currently logging only works if the app is on screen. When you switch away android suspends the main app so only the service routine is running. The enable for logging comes from the main routine so when it does not run there is no logging. I will look to see if I can put a timer in the service routine to control logging.

I would be GREAT if you could add this! It's nice to have my wife doing Google Maps and that kind of thing while we're on the move, but I still want it logging. I was excited to map out our trip when we got home, only to find giant gaps in the data (part of the trip down, and the entire trip back, though I can't figure out why that one didn't log since the app was up some of the time at least).

KfNUD08.png

Turbo3 said:
As far as the bad data I just did a test with the latest test version and don't see any problem. What version of Leaf Spy Pro?

Could you send me the log file? ([email protected]) Compress if very large.

E-mailed this info.

Computerizer said:

Code:
What's that?

Thanks,
Tyrel
Looking at csv file showed that a bad VIN was received from the ELM/Leaf that had invalid characters in it. One of them being 0x0A = New Line. So when excel read in the single line that Leaf Spy wrote it broke it into two lines. The second line being the end of the one above it. Will add code to handle this case and just replace a bad VIN with "BAD_VIN" and not write garbage characters to the file.

I downloaded 29.19 to try out the brake screen. Unfortunately the app quits communicating with the elm unit and locks up after a little time (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes) when running on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. The app seems to run normally as long as I disable (uncheck) the brake screen. I have not yet tried changing settings on the tablet to see if I can solve this. Is anyone else having this issue?

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
I downloaded 29.19 to try out the brake screen. Unfortunately the app quits communicating with the elm unit and locks up after a little time (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes) when running on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. The app seems to run normally as long as I disable (uncheck) the brake screen. I have not yet tried changing settings on the tablet to see if I can solve this. Is anyone else having this issue?

Gerry
Can you send me an ELM trace?

So far I have had success with three phones all using the little Blue Micro ELM327.

* Alcatel One Touch (5020T Megane) 4.1.2
* Kyocera Event (C5133) 4.0.4
* Nexus 7 (ME370T nakasi) 4.4.2

I now have background logging working in my test version. I was able to watch a video while the logging of Leaf data continued in the background.

There were actually two changes needed. One to move the enable code into the Service routine and the other to move GPS into Service routine.

With only the timer change I was not getting any GPS data since that code was in the main routine that Android suspended. Moving GPS to the Service routine fixed that.

The code that processes the VIN code has been enhanced so only VINs with valid characters will be accepted.

Turbo3 said:
I now have background logging working in my test version. I was able to watch a video while the logging of Leaf data continued in the background.

There were actually two changes needed. One to move the enable code into the Service routine and the other to move GPS into Service routine.

With only the timer change I was not getting any GPS data since that code was in the main routine that Android suspended. Moving GPS to the Service routine fixed that.

The code that processes the VIN code has been enhanced so only VINs with valid characters will be accepted.

Excellent! Thanks Jim.

Let me add one more "You are awesome!" to the list.

Question/request for the brake screen: Could the scale be toggled to show kW rather than Amps, if desired? Since the LEAF energy screen displays in kW, I think that kW could be more meaningful to some of us. Also, could the screen display a resettable number for Max Regen in kW so that we can see how much regen we were able to generate under certain conditions and store that number for later review on screen? Perhaps a max power use number also.

Thanks again for your amazing work!

Back