Leaf Service Manual (1-Day Subscription?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. The cheapest I ever purchased prior to this was the 4 volume full set from Helms for my Corvette. That cost 59 bucks but did come in four very nicely bound volumes.

It's not likely the Leaf Manual will updated any time soon until there are significant changes. Even then, such changes often come as just an addendum.

evnow said:
AndyH said:
Back on topic... This is the least expensive service manual I've ever purchased for a car - and it's one of the most intuitive and complete that I've used. It's well worth the $20 and few minutes it takes to download the information!
I'm waiting to see if more may be added later ... unlikely ?

garygid said:
But, we still do not know how the LEAF "merges" friction and Regen braking.

It must at times since the brake regen is not the full power of the inverter. The systems are electronic to mitigate panic stops as well, I believe the prius regen is cut in a panic stop. You can tell an EV with strong regen, like the gen 1 think, the rotors are rusted on the front brakes, in fact there was a switch to turn regen to seat the pads.

About how the brakes work.

AndyH's description of what is in the service manual makes it sound like it is brake-by-wire. That is, there is a sensor to determine the brake pedal position and that is used in addition to other inputs to control both the regenerative and hydraulic brakes.

However, page 5-22 of the Owner's manual says
When depressing the brake pedal, the braking pedal feel will not be smooth or may change when the cooperative regenerative brake system activates. However, the electronically controlled brake system is operating normally and this does not indicate a malfunction.
This makes it sound like there is a direct is feedback to the pedal. Any idea how this works? Is there a direct hydraulic line from the pedal or what?

thimel said:
About how the brakes work.

AndyH's description of what is in the service manual makes it sound like it is brake-by-wire. That is, there is a sensor to determine the brake pedal position and that is used in addition to other inputs to control both the regenerative and hydraulic brakes.

However, page 5-22 of the Owner's manual says
When depressing the brake pedal, the braking pedal feel will not be smooth or may change when the cooperative regenerative brake system activates. However, the electronically controlled brake system is operating normally and this does not indicate a malfunction.
This makes it sound like there is a direct is feedback to the pedal. Any idea how this works? Is there a direct hydraulic line from the pedal or what?
There's a physical connection between the brake pedal and the master cylinder, but there are also sensors on the pedal that signal the brake controller. The brake's power assist function is electric (there's a motor in the master cylinder assembly). The car will adjust/mix regen and hydraulic brake force 'on the fly' as conditions change.

Here's the functional overview from the service manual:

brake1.jpg

Here's the pedal assembly:

brake2.jpg

Here's the master cylinder/brake booster:

brake3.jpg

1. Motor 2. Piston 3. Input Rod (from brake pedal assembly)

Observing the "Power-Usage" screen, the Regen Power went up to 18 kW as the brake pedal was epressed when slowing from a modest speed.

It showed essentially no power with foot-off, in non-ECO mode, at lower speeds.

I have a Scangauge II, but I thought it used only the ODB bus (UART), and not CANbus?

(ISO9141-2 and ISO14230, not ISO15765)

Can the ScanGauge read arbitrary CANBus messages?

GroundLoop said:
This looks great! I used to pay hundreds for a good set of service manuals.

Confirmed 51 files, 84.0 MB (88,131,230 bytes).
Just wanted to confirm as I bought the subscription and downloaded the service manual also. Exact number of files and Windows 7 reports the exact same file size as GroundLoop. Best $19.99 I've ever spent and this will keep me busy for hours!

I'll be throwing these on my Nook to read while I'm on the bus waiting for my Leaf! :D

Back