Leaf reaches 20,000 reservations, to shut reservations 9/23

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
Did not get an email ...

Set up a new account successfully, but when I got to the dashboard got a message basically reading what SeattleBuleLeaf reported in the email (which I did not receive), plus
we will notify you when reservations are available. in the meantime, feel free to configure your LEAF so when you can reserve, you'll be ready.
Configured it ... same process as before (but no QC option ... but I don't think that gets selected until RAQ). It never asked for $99 or credit card info.
Ok ... the email did arrive ... at 14:58. One hour after I posted above.

mwalsh said:
tps said:
I just got an email from Nissan stating that they have reached 20,000 reservations and are not currently accepting any more...

Yeah, we know:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1308

EV Now was all over that with his secret contacts! :)

Well….I agree with this decision. I think Nissan needs to take care of the folks who already have reservations before they accept additional ones. The way the process has been going, Nissan may wind up with a bunch of very dis-satisfied customers, primarily due to their failure to communicate in a timely, unambiguous manner. That is really sad,because it doesn’t have anything to do with the vehicle itself. The EVSE fiasco hasn’t helped any either. Actually, I am happy that I am not scheduled to order until January. Maybe by then, they will have this mess straightened out. :?

I hope they do a better job at streamlining the processes and getting a better / less buggy website in their next round.

I got two e-mails at the same time, both addressed to my same e-mail address, and they are worded slightly differently:
E-mail A:
John,
We are thrilled with the overwhelming enthusiasm people like you have shown for the 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. To date, 20,000 people have already reserved a LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations.

We have completed the first phase of reservations. In order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations until the next phase begins. But please be assured - your reservation will not be affected and you will be able to purchase or lease a Nissan LEAF. Pausing reservations until the next phase begins will allow us to focus on serving you and others who have reserved a Nissan LEAF.

We thank you for your interest in going 100% electric.

=================================================
Your reservation info:
Reserved on: 04/20/2010
Confirmation number: 591948C0
=================================================
E-mail B:
John,
We are thrilled with the overwhelming enthusiasm people like you have shown for the 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. To date, 20,000 people have already reserved a LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations.

We have completed the first phase of reservations. In order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations until the next phase begins. A subsequent phase of reservations will begin next year, after current reservations and orders have been processed.

We're grateful for your understanding and patience as we work to bring this 100% electric car to you.

=============================================================================
I suspect the first e-mail went to me as someone who has reserved the car, and the second e-mail went to me as someone who has signed up for their mailing list but has not reserved a car. Weird that I should get both versions of the e-mail. Has this happened to any of you as well?

I received two emails regarding this "milestone". They were just slightly different in text and tone. The first was targeted to me as an order holder; it contained my order number and was very reassuring. The second seemed to be a mass email to any who have expressed interest in the LEAF. I guess they don't have their filters worked out yet. Did anyone else get both?

LBCev said:
I received two emails regarding this "milestone". They were just slightly different in text and tone. The first was targeted to me as an order holder; it contained my order number and was very reassuring. The second seemed to be a mass email to any who have expressed interest in the LEAF. I guess they don't have their filters worked out yet. Did anyone else get both?

I thought that was just me - with multiple registrations ....

I don't think there will be a next round of reservations...at least not like this time...

Nissan, and especially their dealers, will want you to order and buy from a dealership...

The current way, well I like it and hope it becomes more standard...but in reality the car companies are not used to it...and the dealers likely hate it...

Though I think they could appreciate it more over time...easy sales, less overhead, no cars sitting unsold on the lot for weeks and weeks...

Gavin

LBCev said:
I received two emails regarding this "milestone". They were just slightly different in text and tone. The first was targeted to me as an order holder; it contained my order number and was very reassuring. The second seemed to be a mass email to any who have expressed interest in the LEAF.
Whoa! That is a bit worrisome. I only got what is apparently the "reservation" form (johnr's Email-A), even though I have ordered.

Gavin said:
Though I think they could appreciate it more over time...easy sales, less overhead, no cars sitting unsold on the lot for weeks and weeks...

When I talk to people - rarely does anyone tell me EVs don't work for them. They all seem to understand that they can get an EV and save money/oil. These are normal folk - not particularly tree huggers nor national security types.

This tells me the auto dealers will have a big role in selling EVs. Whenever someone comes to buy a car - if they pitch the EV I'm sure many will take it up. So, atleast in the first few years I think going the traditional route is needed.

BTW, did Nissan get back to you on letting you order ? or have you decided to go with 500 ?

evnow said:
Gavin said:

When I talk to people - rarely does anyone tell me EVs don't work for them. They all seem to understand that they can get an EV and save money/oil. These are normal folk - not particularly tree huggers nor national security types.

Yes! I consider myself one of those "normal folk", no offense please. But while there have been a lot of bumps in the road, I really like this approach to buying a car. If it is a win-win (I can still get a fair price by choosing the dealer, dealer gets benefit of no overhead, no cars sitting, ...), I think it will help get more "normal folk" into EV's.

I think this process is to tech-i for many. As much as I like it and am comfortable with it, so many people need to be touchy feely it to start the process. I think they would be unwilling to take a leap and start any kind of reservation /order process without being able to see and drive the car. You have seen a couple of them on this Forum unwilling to place their order knowing full well they could cancel it.

Good point. I probably fall more in the "tech-i" catagory than the "normal folk". :mrgreen: So perhaps having both options available (via website or walk in to the dealer) would promote the adoption of a completely new, EV technology.

I think this car may very well be the first venture into a more teh-i bying process with multiple options. A conventional or online based purchaes process. It will be very interesting to see where this leads.

evnow said:
LBCev said:
I thought that was just me - with multiple registrations ....
I received both emails as well.

Back