Leaf owners unite! Easier to reach charge port release lever

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on guys lets not start making fun of people with disabilities. The charge port door lever is an everyday pull item and should be up higher/easier to reach since you basically pull it everyday.. Would you like it if the start button was down there by the lever instead of in a convenient place??

Thats the main point i think some of you back scratchers/string pullers miss in your comments as funny as they might seem. =P

RikiTiki

RikiTiki said:
Come on guys lets not start making fun of people with disabilities. The charge port door lever is an everyday pull item and should be up higher/easier to reach since you basically pull it everyday.. Would you like it if the start button was down there by the lever instead of in a convenient place??

Thats the main point i think some of you back scratchers/string pullers miss in your comments as funny as they might seem. =P

RikiTiki

Please re-read my comment. Mocking disabilities was not my intent. Bottom line, a change from Nissan could be a long time coming and even then there's no guarantee that it would work on current LEAFs. A back-scratcher (or similar tool) will work TODAY, if the goal is to relieve back pain and/or make actuation physically easier. While I think an actual back-scratcher is funny it's not because I wish to mock someone with disability.

In any case, I am looking into a modification that would not only add a switch to the dash for opening the port, but add some cool lighting as well...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo said:
In any case, I am looking into a modification that would not only add a switch to the dash for opening the port, but add some cool lighting as well...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really cool mod you are making there Nubo Cant wait to see the
latest progress you've made creating it. I really like the LED light
addition so that when the charge port door is open there is
some illumination of the plug area. Looks great!

Heres to hoping Nissan adds an easier to reach charge port release
lever or button within the Leaf's interior since the levers current location
is far to low and out of reach to be a comfortable for an
every day pull event like charging is. I really like the LED light under
the charge port door aswell. I REALLY hope Nissan sees these great very
micro low cost Leaf improvement suggestions, & adds them standard
to future upcoming Leaf & EV models.

RikiTiki

So, to sum up.

It's a stupid place to put the release, but we love our Leaf'es (Leaves?), so...
No, it's not a big problem for most of us, but that doesn't mean it's a good design for something we use every day.

As I read the posts, I thought how cool it would be to have it work like the doors.
If the fob is in your pocket, it would open with a little button.

On the other hand, I think 90% of us don't fully understand why it locks at all.
(Really?)

I split the difference.

I modded the thing with an external release.
Mine uses Small stainless cable and a 3/4" round plastic "Bead" as a pull.
Followed these basic instructions when I upgraded the Meep Meep horn.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kinda the best of both worlds.
Works great, and I curse less.

...talk amongst yourselves....

RikiTiki said:
Nubo said:

Really cool mod you are making there Nubo Cant wait to see the
latest progress you've made creating it.

I ended up nixing the project. I had most of the parts together. The glow-wire kit was DOA. I decided to switch to blue LEDs. Then I started worrying about it being a lease and eventually realized that I personally had already gotten used to the existing lever and actually was pretty fine with it and having a button just a few inches away wasn't really going to make my experience better in any real way. My wife felt the same.

I guess I'm the odd man out here. The release is where I expect to find a hood release or a gasoline cover release to be from dozens of different cars I've owned and rented. I unlatch it as I drive into the garage for the last time of the day, and it's easy. Later on when I'm ready to plug in, it's already unlatched.

I just need to remember to push it closed if I happen to go out again in the evening unexpectedly. And if I should forget to unlatch it while I'm sitting in the car, then it is really awkward to open the door and try to reach over or around it all the way under the dash.

Although it doesn't bother me, I do wonder why Nissan thought they needed a remote release latch at all. It's not like someone is going to siphon gasoline out of the car - nor electricity. Vandalism prevention? An ICE car with locking gas cover is unlocked only for a few minutes, attended, at the gas pump. The Leaf is designed for the charging ports to be accessible, unattended, for hours at the public L2.

walterbays said:
Although it doesn't bother me, I do wonder why Nissan thought they needed a remote release latch at all. It's not like someone is going to siphon gasoline out of the car - nor electricity. Vandalism prevention? An ICE car with locking gas cover is unlocked only for a few minutes, attended, at the gas pump. The Leaf is designed for the charging ports to be accessible, unattended, for hours at the public L2.

Actually, they offer a lock for when you're charging. I have one.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=175194#p175194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back