Leaf owners unite! Easier to reach charge port release lever

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like anything, it could be improved, but I have no real issue with where it is now. A light on the hatch door however, would be nice - just a single Led would do.

I do like the idea of a fob button - would not want to pay the extra money for that high end package, but it would be a nice touch.

Honestly... I don't mind it at all... it's second nature to me now. They probably put it there so you wouldn't make it go by accident while driving.

Caracalover said:
A light on the hatch door however, would be nice - just a single Led would do.

Here's one solution and it's magnetic;garygid posted this:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?ipTrail=97.117.184.55&catalogId=10051&productId=3140611&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no issue with the current location. I would only marginally prefer an electric release. How about a behavior like the hatch? Auto-unlock when the car is turned off, etc.

But, why does there need to be a remote release at all? Why add complexity and (a tiny bit of) weight? I'd much rather just have a push-to-open latch on the charge port door. Vandalism risk is no worse than people breaking your antenna, mirrors, scratching your paint, etc.

I think the OP has raised a valid issue, i.e., accomodation for those of us who are less physically able to operate routine items like this lever. His case may be so uncommon though that a retrofit, rather than a redesign, might be the best overall solution.

KeithFrechette said:
As a new LEAF owner, my primary charging problem has been to remember to close the charging hatch when I remove the charging cord. :) For some reason my brain focuses entirely on placing the charging "nozzle" back in its proper place, so I'm often already backing out of my garage before I realize that I've forgotten to close the hatch again. :roll:
I solve this problem by forcing myself to make a habit of flipping down the hatch cover BEFORE I place the handle back into the Blink. Basically 1) pull out handle 2) flip down cover 3) hang up handle. After a while you don't even think about it.

mwalsh said:
I have left the orange port cover open and closed the hatch down before today. Probably not a good idea in rainy climes! :?
I live in AZ and don't bother closing off that orange port cover at all. Only because it's a nuisance to do every time, and also because I don't want to put too much wear and tear on it since it doesn't seem to be solidly built. I did get caught driving with it open in the rain a few times, but it looks like the hatch cover is sufficient to cover it up. I'm sure it'd be a good idea to close the orange cover as well in a torrential downpour. But I think in light to medium rain, it may be OK.

Volusiano said:
mwalsh said:
I have left the orange port cover open and closed the hatch down before today. Probably not a good idea in rainy climes! :?
I live in AZ and don't bother closing off that orange port cover at all. Only because it's a nuisance to do every time, and also because I don't want to put too much wear and tear on it since it doesn't seem to be solidly built. I did get caught driving with it open in the rain a few times, but it looks like the hatch cover is sufficient to cover it up. I'm sure it'd be a good idea to close the orange cover as well in a torrential downpour. But I think in light to medium rain, it may be OK.

It may be a good idea to close it when during all those haboobs that we had. I don't believe dust/dirt would be good for it.

LEAFfan said:
It may be a good idea to close it when during all those haboobs that we had. I don't believe dust/dirt would be good for it.
Yah, I also think that dew, mist and fog could be worse than normal rain. It's not getting wet once that will corrode contacts, it's repeated wettings. Of course, there's all those J1772 plugs outside with no covers...

Personally I don't mind the location of the release lever. It's not a problem to remember to pull it when I leave the car. But if it does hurt your back.. that would be a big disadvantage.

I would prefer a simple design. To have some sort of electronic device would just be another thing that could break more easily. The pull release lever is nice and simple and not likely to break as easily as an electronic button and release.

But that's just me.

-Peter

Wow. And I thought I had back problems. It doesn't hurt my back, but I do usually forget to pull it, and so I need to open the door again. On the other hand, it does have that cutout curve, so it's easy to find by touch. I'm hoping in a year or two, it becomes second nature.

If one has enough mobility getting in and out of the car, I fail to see why one wouldn't have enough mobility to extend the left arm out just a little bit low to reach the latch. It's really not THAT out of reach, in my opinion. Are you sure you even want to be driving if you can't even reach that latch in the first place.

On the other hand, if it's truly an issue, a quick jerry-rigging can easily solve the problem. Take a shoe lace, tie one end around the latch, and the other end through one of the left vent grill blades at the dashboard level to keep the shoe lace in place and easily accessible at the dashboard level. Now you don't have to bend down to reach the latch at all. Just grab the shoelace at the dashboard level and yank it toward you, and the shoe lace will pull the latch up and out to release the charge door.

If 99% of the drivers don't have any issue with it, I doubt that Nissan will go out of the way to reposition it just for the 1% who has problem with it.

I'd prefer no charge port release lever at all.

I thought a fueling release lever was added to cars to prevent gas theft.  Keeping it for an electric car seems silly.  

A spring mechanism for the charge port cover could assure the cover stays closed while driving, yet will flip open for charging.  

Why make charging more complicated than it needs to be?  

Hmm Nissan should of offered as a option the http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4TSND_en___US415&q=the+clapper&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13601606191737059431&sa=X&ei=RE2BTvuAC8XZiALbodGRDQ&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

green01 said:
I'd prefer no charge port release lever at all.
I thought a fueling release lever was added to cars to prevent gas theft.  Keeping it for an electric car seems silly.  
A spring mechanism for the charge port cover could assure the cover stays closed while driving, yet will flip open for charging.  
Why make charging more complicated than it needs to be?  
Excellent point! I've only forgotten to pop the latch once or twice, so I'm happy enough with what we have, but I wouldn't object to what "green" suggests.

By the way, I did have a related problem a couple of days ago. As usual, I walked to the front of the car, opened the main port cover, pressed the release at the side of the J1772 cover, turned and reached for the "nozzle". When I turned back the little J1772 cover was still closed. I had to press the release two or three times to get the cover to open. Has anyone else had a problem with that latch?

Ray

planet4ever said:
By the way, I did have a related problem a couple of days ago. As usual, I walked to the front of the car, opened the main port cover, pressed the release at the side of the J1772 cover, turned and reached for the "nozzle". When I turned back the little J1772 cover was still closed. I had to press the release two or three times to get the cover to open. Has anyone else had a problem with that latch?

Ray
It's happened to me too. I'm thinking that the high temps (90+ *F) we had last week allowed the orange cover to seat into the foam gasket a bit more than normal and it was just stuck there.

The release latch just "gets out of the way" and the viscous-damped spring is supposed to pivot the orange cover open. But the spring is light duty (to allow the cool, "slow-open behavior" to occur) and I guess the cover was just stuck there for a while.

green01 said:

Just like the hood, springs are not a real great closure solution when you are flying down the freeway at 70 mph. Given the location, there needs to be a physical latch.

Reportedly, Tesla just introduced proprietary plug technology. They seem to have a rather interestingly designed charge port door as well. It opens when the charge plug is in the proximity:

attachment.php

surfingslovak said:
Reportedly, Tesla just introduced proprietary plug technology. They seem to have a rather interestingly designed charge port door as well. It opens when the charge plug is in the proximity:

Anything to not have to bend-over everyday to simply open a charge port door. The charge port should be easier to open without bending because my back still hurts for no reason other then a lax oversight to move a charge port pull lever that was ment from everyday use, away from a HOOD pull lever that was ment for once a month use. Please Nissan move the lever higher or add a button to the keyless remote ASAP. Thanks!

RikiTiki

Back