Leaf Owners : Actual Lease Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timaz said:
I wanted to mention one quick lease piece of information that we found out last night when picking up our Leaf. If you choose the lease, Nissan reduces the balance by 7,500 like an instant rebate which reduces the total amount , but you only realize about 61% of that amount ($7500) as you will only make 39 payments. If you buy and are in a tax situation to get the benefit of the full amount back at the end of the year, you can take advantage of the full $7,500 back from Uncle Sam. That is just one of the reasons we went with a purchase!

Sorry if these area just common sense, but we used these and other factors to come to the decision to buy.

fYi
Wow, that's confusing ! Although I can't believe the 39 payments is the reason you are losing 39% of the $7,500. I think it's because the residual is 39% on a 48month/15k miles lease. I think someone gave you some bad info. That 39% loss of benefit would at least make SOME sense if it's based on residual, and you get the rest when you buy out the lease. Looks like this is an AZ rule. In CA you definitely get 100% of the 7,500 up front. The AZ rule is weird, since it is a Federal tax credit not a state-level benefit. It is Nissan (as a lessor) that gets the Federal tax credit, and it's hard to swallow that state rules affect that. That would mean, if you buy the car, and get 100% of the credit, when you sell it, AZ would force you to pass on the proprotionate amount based on your sales price to the new buyer ???!! No way :?

Edit: Ok ... hold a minute. I still haven't had my coffee, and I am rethinking whay you posted. Are they saying you lose 39% of the benefit because of 39 payments and really mean that ??? That makes no sense! So, if you choose the 48 month lease you loose 48% (MORE on a longer lease ???). I am further inclided to go with "you got some bad info" !

Timaz said:
I wanted to mention one quick lease piece of information that we found out last night when picking up our Leaf. If you choose the lease, Nissan reduces the balance by 7,500 like an instant rebate which reduces the total amount , but you only realize about 61% of that amount ($7500) as you will only make 39 payments.
I don't buy that. In the example shown in the OP, the tax credit directly reduced the "Depreciation and Any Amortized Amounts" (line 5e) by $7,500. That, in turn, reduced each of the 36 monthly payments by $7,500/36 = $208.

Cheers, Wayne

Timaz said:
I wanted to mention one quick lease piece of information that we found out last night when picking up our Leaf. If you choose the lease, Nissan reduces the balance by 7,500 like an instant rebate which reduces the total amount , but you only realize about 61% of that amount ($7500) as you will only make 39 payments.
That doesn't make much sense. Only way to figure out what they are talking about is to get the numbers on paper.

Maybe he means the Rent Charge "eats" some of the Tax Credit?

Or, in AZ they applied the Tax Credit partly to the Lease payments, and partly to the Residual?

But, please scan and post your AZ lease paperwork. Thanks.

If that is true and I will not get the whole 7,500 credit on the lease then I am a buyer. I should get at least 6,000 of the credit.

sorry that does not wash with me either. that would mean that anyone buying a returned lease car would qualify for a prorated amount of the tax credit?

Gonewild said:
If that is true and I will not get the whole 7,500 credit on the lease then I am a buyer. I should get at least 6,000 of the credit.
I don't think there is a separate AZ rule. The dealer either doesn't understand the lease terms or was making up stuff, I don't know why.

Gonewild said:

if i were getting that much of the credit, i would have probably bought. the interest is lower, etc. but then again, the lease option reduces your liability in case the car turns out to be less than advertised.

i will lease, but probably end up purchasing. i am going to wait at least a year to see how our experiences here along with my own pan out.

i am fairly certain that gas prices are up to stay this time.

evnow said:
I don't think there is a separate AZ rule. The dealer either doesn't understand the lease terms or was making up stuff, I don't know why.
I am in the "making up stuff" beLEAF/camp on this weird AZ "issue".

Ok, I honestly do not know what they were trying to communicate I guess. It was 11pm at night and we all were tired. I would suggest just looking into everything when your time comes to make a choice to buy or lease. My dealer in Avondale was excellent, had done all of the research and training and I would not recommend any Nissan dealer more! They are the reason we received the car so quickly.

On a separate note, it looks like we may be getting some type of new Az ev license plate?

Timaz said:
Ok, I honestly do not know what they were trying to communicate I guess. It was 11pm at night and we all were tired. I would suggest just looking into everything when your time comes to make a choice to buy or lease. My dealer in Avondale was excellent, had done all of the research and training and I would not recommend any Nissan dealer more! They are the reason we received the car so quickly.

On a separate note, it looks like we may be getting some type of new Az ev license plate?

I wish CA and special EV plates or ones you could pay a fee so you could skip the carpool sticker. Plastering stickers al over a car is a bit silly. If its a "fix it" ticket for those that have stickers but don;t put them on I may just not put them on and run the risk since I don't do much carpool lane or bridge driving.

Tim: Would Avondale provide a "quote" which shows all the details ... kind of like the OP ? I am concerned other Avondale customers have incomplete info to make an appropriate decision.

Also, I dont think in CA if you trade-in the total purchase price is decreased and you end up paying less sales tax. No matter what, we end up paying tax on the full sales price. :-(

Under CA law this is not a fix-it infraction. You would be ticketed as if you never had the stickers. With fees you'd be looking at something close to 500 bucks... Definitely not worth the risk in my opinion.

EVDRIVER said:
I wish CA and special EV plates or ones you could pay a fee so you could skip the carpool sticker. Plastering stickers al over a car is a bit silly. If its a "fix it" ticket for those that have stickers but don;t put them on I may just not put them on and run the risk since I don't do much carpool lane or bridge driving.

Timaz said:

man to be honest with ya, when i pick up my Leaf, the fantasies spinning in my head over the "oooohs and aaahhs" my friends and co-workers will be giving me will be enough for me not to absorb anything either

DaveinOlyWA said:
man to be honest with ya, when i pick up my Leaf, the fantasies spinning in my head over the "oooohs and aaahhs" my friends and co-workers will be giving me will be enough for me not to absorb anything either
I wish I can go a day earlier, finish all the paperwork and pickup the car the next day. I'll definitely be taking my laptop to check their lease calculations.

This thread has gone wildly off topic. Let us keep this thread to actual lease deatils, and questions about them. I'll probably move a large # of posts to a new thread.

Wow- so many people from California WHINE country :cry: .

Get over it. You are getting a $5000 rebate from the state. I don't feel sorry for you having to pay a fraction of money you get in incentives from the state on the state sales tax you are paying on government incentives.

Back