LEAF Navigation System - New or Old & Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Last year Nissan announced a "new" Nav system (about $400) with a 5-inch (touch) screen.

Is the LEAF's Nav system an entirely new product for Nissan,
or is it based upon an already-existing Nav product?

This topic is a place for Nav System Details, as we learn them.
This is a (not complete) list of relevant Nav-related queations:

The Map Data:
1. What is the source of the data?
2. How complete is the coverage?
3. How often updated, and how?
4. Data held in flash memory, DVD, or where?
5. Are speed limits included?

Points of Interest Data:
1. Approximately how many for the USA?
2. How up to date are they?
3. Can many User-POI be added easily?
4. If so, how, and what format?

GPS chip:
1. What chipset is used?
2. Is it high-sensitivity?
3. Where is the GPS antenna?
4. If "remote", is it a powered antenna, or passive?

Nav Functions:
1. What User-Options are available?
2. Display of relative satellite locations and signal strengths?
3. Multi-point Routing?
4. Use of Traffic data, and from XM only?
5. 3-D perspective display, or only "map"?
6. Quick route recalculation when off-route?
7. Shows speed, direction, location longitude, latitude, time, etc.?

Other Functions:
1. Is there significant voice input to more safely use the Nav/POI sysrem?
2. Will the POI locator dial the phone?
3. Can one locate POI near another location?

More later, but this list gets the topic started.

I had never bothered to get a gps unit until the other day I got a Garmin. Anyway, here is a review of the $400 Nissan system ...

http://detnews.com/article/20091128/OPINION03/911280302/1149/Nissan-offers-top-quality-navigation-system-for-low-price

The charging stations I guess are added to the standard map as POI ?

Looks like they use Navteq.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/Default-Start

garygid said:
Last year Nissan announced a "new" Nav system (about $400) with a 5-inch (touch) screen.

Is the LEAF's Nav system an entirely new product for Nissan,
or is it based upon an already-existing Nav product?

This topic is a place for Nav System Details, as we learn them.
This is a (not complete) list of relevant Nav-related queations:

More later, but this list gets the topic started.

My sort of related questions:

Does either the some part of the Nav system or some part of the XM radio allow your vehicle to be tracked - a la OnStar? (If the Nav system is updated via satellite - which seems to be the most likely scenario as the functionality has been described by Nissan - then it is also pretty certain the car can be tracked)

If so - has anyone heard if Nissan plans to track vehicles to gather usage information?
If so - can these functions be turned off by the owner?

The car just receiving data from a satellite does not help locating the car.

However, to get updated real-time status of local charging stations, the LEAF might send its (approximate?) location along with a request for a charging-occupancy update from an on-line "charge-station" database.

That (if enabled) would allow the LEAF to be "tracked".

However, if the LAEF's transmitted "location" is rounded off to the nearest ... maybe 2 miles, ... then "exact" tracking would not be available.

But, does some iPhone LEAF-app guide you right back to your parked car?

Can your iPhone be tracked (by its "exact" GPS location)?

Any cell phone can be tracked - at least roughly - by relative signal strengths at several cell towers. The Leaf can be tracked the same way, even if it never transmits its own location, if it sends any ground-based communication.

Nobody has yet described Routing or searching for POI in the LEAF, either while driving or while parked.

Are Nav functions severely (or somewhat) limited while moving, or are they fully enabled so that a passenger could fully operate the system?

If the Nav and Phone functions are limited while moving, is there well-done voice input to use while driving?

The 2010 Prius has very good voice input, although many functions are quite limited while in motion (over a couple mph).

Versa Nav manual 2011 : http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/2011/2011-Nissan-LC-Navi.pdf

Maxima Manual 2010 : http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/2010/2010-Nissan-08IT-Navi.pdf

Sentra, Versa have 5" Nav systems that cost $400. Murano has a 7" system (with HDD etc) that costs $1,850.

garygid said:
Nobody has yet described Routing or searching for POI in the LEAF, either while driving or while parked.

Are Nav functions severely (or somewhat) limited while moving, or are they fully enabled so that a passenger could fully operate the system?

If the Nav and Phone functions are limited while moving, is there well-done voice input to use while driving?

The 2010 Prius has very good voice input, although many functions are quite limited while in motion (over a couple mph).

2010 manuals don't show limited nav functions hile driving just a warning - but 2011 do :(

From a good resolution steering wheel picture we can make out whether there is voice recognition/input. There will be a button for that !

LeafHopper said:
Top right button says "Map" but "voice is on the same button underneath "Map" label.

I'm talking abut the steering wheel.

The below is the best I've got now for Leaf --> http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/LeafIntCombo1.jpg

steering.png

The below is from the 2010 Maxima nav manual. Looks identical. So, I'd say the nav comes with voice recognition (and probably is the costlier 7" LCD option).

navsteering.png

evnow said:
I very much doubt they will create a whole new hardware system for Leaf nav.

Why not? It's a whole new car.

Currently Nissan uses four different navigation systems in their vehicles. It is not unrealistic to think that they would create/develop a new system for the LEAF.

This will be the first use of Nissan's "CARWINGS" technology in the US market (Nissan's answer to OnStar). It's not even found in Infiniti products yet. It has been in use in Japan for several years.

Someone asked about iPhone/iPod compatiblity. If consistent with other current Nissan technology, plug it in via USB and the vehicle audio system takes over control and will display iPod functionality on the nav screen.

LEAFguy said:
Currently Nissan uses four different navigation systems in their vehicles. It is not unrealistic to think that they would create/develop a new system for the LEAF.

I think if Nissan already has 4 systems, isn't it better to just use one of them ?

This will be the first use of Nissan's "CARWINGS" technology in the US market (Nissan's answer to OnStar). It's not even found in Infiniti products yet. It has been in use in Japan for several years.

Is this similar to Traffic feature offerred by Garmin ?

http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/index.html

evnow said:

Is this similar to Traffic feature offerred by Garmin ?
Click on the "CARWINGS" blue text above ...

LEAFer said:
Click on the "CARWINGS" blue text above ...

I had read this document sometime back too - seems to be from 2004. Will there really be a person answering questions 24/7 ?

evnow said:
I had read this document sometime back too - seems to be from 2004. Will there really be a person answering questions 24/7 ?

GM does it now with OnStar. Nissan has made no US announcements regarding CARWINGS in the LEAF that I am aware of. It is just referenced in the Nissan LEAF site.

The nav screens that I have seen in photos of the LEAF vary significantly from current production Nissan vehicles. In fact, I just found this YouTube video where a statement is made at the beginning that the LEAF navigation system is only available on the LEAF.

You will notice the open/tilt button on the lower right of the display. This will tilt open the display giving access to the cd player behind it, and likely will offer several tilt positions to optimize driver visibility.

LEAFguy said:
You will notice the open/tilt button on the lower right of the display. This will tilt open the display giving access to the cd player behind it, and likely will offer several tilt positions to optimize driver visibility.

Is this available in current Nissan options ?

I'm sure they have modified firmware for Nav - but I still think it is highly unlikely the hardware (esp. the LCD) is not one of the existing options.

ps : moved nav discussions to this thread.

Back