leaf is not fully charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1988

it looks like it fully charged, the lights go off. the app shows 80 miles updated. when I turn on the car, it shows 69 miles....any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. Could you help us a bit? Where do you live? How old is the vehicle? Could you post a screenshot of the Leaf remote control app?

john1988 said:
it looks like it fully charged, the lights go off. the app shows 80 miles updated. when I turn on the car, it shows 69 miles....any ideas?
Welcome to the forum.

Did you charge to 80% or 100%
How many bars on the right side of the dash display? The inner bars on the right side?

sure, climate control is off. my mom bought the leaf in june of this year, it is in covington, la. southeastern louisiana. my moms noticed this in the past week that its not completely charging. the lights went off on the car so I figured it was fully charged...I plugged it in again to see if theres any change. lights went off after about 10 minutes...seems like its stuck at 69 miles in the car. its weird.. the app shows more miles than the leaf actually has at the moment. and it does say an hour and a half til full charge on the app but the lights go out like its fully charged. seems like it started this week , maybe last

33bpgtc.jpg

vdgy29.jpg

y15aw.jpg

So the big concern is the difference between app miles and dash miles?
Not sure those are always in sync.

The battery is fully charged to 80%. You will need to change timer settings or use the override button to get 100%.
App and dash may still be out of sync.

Do you live up a small hill? I think this could affect the dash more than the app.

the miles on the car are going up, so thats good. i restarted the charge from the app i think that helped. its still not synced from the phone to the car but maybe thatll fix itself. the app says 90 miles while the car has like 78. it usually seems accurate though and not to far off.

john1988 said:
i restarted the charge from the app i think that helped. its still not synced from the phone to the car but maybe thatll fix itself. the app says 90 miles while the car has like 78. it usually seems accurate though and not to far off.
Good to hear. The distance to empty won't update on the app until you start the car, and CarWings pulls the latest data from the Leaf. It's one of those idiosyncrasies the Leaf is chock full of. Nothing to worry about.

My experience is that, especially right after charging, to any level, the range reported by the app is often very different than reported by the dash "guess-O-meter". I believe that CarWings uses a different algorithm.

In any case, neither is a really useful number. Ignore them.

DoxyLover said:
I believe that CarWings uses a different algorithm.
No, it does not. It just needs new data from the car. Trying pressing the start button, let it run for a bit, and shut down. Then check the remote app again. The mileage estimate should update and match the dash now.

surfingslovak said:
DoxyLover said:
I believe that CarWings uses a different algorithm.
No, it does not. It just needs new data from the car. Trying pressing it start button, let it run for a bit, and shut down. Then check the remote app again. The mileage estimate should update and match the dash now.
Yah, it's a known bug. The value on the app or web site can be "off" by quite a bit until the car is actually turned on. Then an update will show the same value.

The real point is that those are both just wild guesses. Whether they are out of synch doesn't matter. Take DoxyLover's advice and ignore them. You have 10 bars, so you have an 80% charge. If you want a 100% charge you need to turn off the charge timer that is limiting you to 80%, or override it.

To override, push the Immediate Charge switch, middle of the top row of the group of six down low to the left of the steering wheel.

To turn it off, push the Zero Emission button (bottom physical button on the right side of the center console display), then touch the Charging Timer on the screen. You should be able to figure it out from there. (Or, if you prefer, you can leave it on, but click the %Charge button on the timer settings screen and change it to 100%.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
The real point is that those are both just wild guesses. Whether they are out of synch doesn't matter. Take DoxyLover's advice and ignore them. You have 10 bars, so you have an 80% charge. If you want a 100% charge you need to turn off the charge timer that is limiting you to 80%, or override it.

To override, push the Immediate Charge switch, middle of the top row of the group of six down low to the left of the steering wheel.

To turn it off, push the Zero Emission button (bottom physical button on the right side of the center console display), then touch the Charging Timer on the screen. You should be able to figure it out from there. (Or, if you prefer, you can leave it on, but click the %Charge button on the timer settings screen and change it to 100%.)

Ray

Ray,
Thank you for the post. Just got a 2013 Leaf this week and was trying to figure out why it stopped charging at 10 bars. I guess I should look at the owners manual. I'm guessing that the factory default is set to only 80% charging. My commute is 70 miles r/t so unfortunately I'm only getting an estimated 70 mile range at 80%. I also read that charging to 100% is not very good for the life of the batteries but unfortunately not much choice because there are absolutely no charging stations at my work, which sucks.
C141medic

c141medic said:
Just got a 2013 Leaf this week and was trying to figure out why it stopped charging at 10 bars. I guess I should look at the owners manual. I'm guessing that the factory default is set to only 80% charging.
The 2013 introduces a new wrinkle. There is now an 80% setting which is separate from the timer, and that is the one which may have been set when they shipped the car.
If you have an SV or SL: Zero Emission Button -> Settings -> Long Life Mode
If you have an S: Trip Computer -> Settings -> Charge%

[We can give better advice if we know which year and model LEAF you have. I suggest you create a signature line that tells us: From the top right corner of this window, User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit Signature]

c141medic said:
My commute is 70 miles r/t so unfortunately I'm only getting an estimated 70 mile range at 80%. I also read that charging to 100% is not very good for the life of the batteries but unfortunately not much choice because there are absolutely no charging stations at my work, which sucks.
Pay no attention to the estimated "Distance to Empty", especially when the battery is full or nearly full. We call that big number the GuessOMeter, or GOM. Unless you are an extremely light-footed driver you are going to get less miles than the computer is guessing at that point. You are absolutely right that with a 70 mile commute and no charging at work you will need to charge to 100%. You will also probably need to slow down.

Since we have no idea where you live we can't tell you whether your commute will work for five years, three years, two years, or only until next winter. While you are setting up your signature as noted above, please add Location on the Edit Profile panel, and make it specific enough that we can infer your climate. If you are comfortable telling us, it can help if we know Delivery Date and Leaf Number. That gives us a better idea of what service level your car was at when you got it.

Ray

Ok, I've updated my info. Thanks for the feedback. I changed the default charge setting from 80% to 100%. However, when I check car wings app and the leaflink app they're both indicating only 84 miles at a full charge. What's also strange is that the leaf link app shows only 11 bars full whereas the Nissan app shows all 12 bars full. Either way they're both indicating only 84 miles at a full charge. No climate control turned on. I understand that it's a GOM, but should the estimate be closer to 100 miles? I'm a pretty tech savy guy but have to admit the Leaf can be somewhat perplexing.

Back