LEAF broken into last night - computer-nav/stereo stolen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
So are the components of the repair:

* Glass
* Center console surround piece
* Nav unit
* Wiring harnesses or connector repair
* Labor

Yep. The glass is the driver's side door. There were some minor nicks on the center console surround piece from it being pried off. I thought the seat might have had some damage from the thief squatting on it on top of the broken glass, but I think they said it was just dirty. The initial quote by the insurance adjuster was $4,500. We brought it to the dealer, and they said it would be over $8k. They called yesterday and said once they got into it, it'll be $12k.

Thanks TomT & Drees.
Cinmar - maybe you might want to ask about or install that/something else since they're in there making the repairs?

I'll definitely have to check that out.

Our insurance has been easy to work with -- Nationwide. Only thing was the adjuster had gone on vacation for a week, so that delayed her approving the dealership's request for ordering the parts. We have a $500 deductible, so we'll have to pay that part. The adjuster's initial estimate was about $4,500, and she cut us a check the day she did the inspection of the car. Because the actual cost is going up, she's sending the check directly to the dealership for the remainder. I kind of wish they would have sent the entire check for everything to the dealer, but she didn't give us much of a choice.

Split posts over to new topic about Nissan OEM Glass break / motion sensor accessory...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8744&p=194696#p194696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry to hear about your Leaf. not sure i understand the theft deterrent system and motion sensor thing. glass breakage should be enough to set the alarm off.

problem, most alarm systems usually have to be enabled by the remote key lock (not the button on the door!!) and i admit i almost always use the button on the door!

as far as cost, the insurance company is covering everything but the deductible correct?

DaveinOlyWA said:
not sure i understand the theft deterrent system and motion sensor thing. glass breakage should be enough to set the alarm off.
Nope. It's really a very limited system. As the Owner's Manual says (page 2-34 in mine):
The vehicle security system provides visual and audio alarm signals if someone opens the doors, or rear hatch when the system is armed. It is not, however, a motion detection type system that activates when a vehicle is moved or when a vibration occurs.

Ray

my 2001 saturn is the same way. some cars have hood sensors, also, which make sense. that way they can't pop the hood and pull the fuse for the alarm. my saturn, however, doesn't have this.

I have to say that when I first saw/read this thread, I was just sick. Now that there are more details (cost, etc.), I thought I would share my experience from last September--2 weeks after I took ownership of my Leaf.

Someone did a "smash-and-grab" (driver's side window) on my Leaf in a parking lot at lunch. I made the mistake of leaving my phone in partial view; they (obviously) took that and rifled through my console (nothing much there), but (luckily) caused no other internal damage. I was also lucky there was no rain to compound the problem.

Nissan of McKinney was fantastic. They had a new driver's side window flown in within 2 days. Even better, they had their "touch-up" paint guy work on the driver's door where the falling glass had scratched it; the car still looks brand new! The window cost me $500, but Nissan didn't charge me for the tint (also 2 weeks old) OR the paint work.

I'll never understand why someone would cause so much damage to a vehicle for a $100 phone (or a $1000 stereo).

I'll never understand why someone would cause so much damage to a vehicle for a $100 phone (or a $1000 stereo).
Drugs.

I used to drive an old VW Rabbit to the local park and ride everyday to get a bus. After two busted door locks I always left it unlocked and without anything inside. These cars were easy to get into by hitting the door lock with a flat tip screw driver, everyone knew it. Well, I was amazed how many times they removed the trim to do that and discovered it was unlocked. Finally I put in a video camera and reported every prowl to the cops. They were all known drug using homeless (transients) in the local area. It took the cops about 5 minutes to figure out who the person was and issue an arrest warrant.

cinmar said:
I'll definitely have to check that out.

Our insurance has been easy to work with -- Nationwide. Only thing was the adjuster had gone on vacation for a week, so that delayed her approving the dealership's request for ordering the parts. We have a $500 deductible, so we'll have to pay that part. The adjuster's initial estimate was about $4,500, and she cut us a check the day she did the inspection of the car. Because the actual cost is going up, she's sending the check directly to the dealership for the remainder. I kind of wish they would have sent the entire check for everything to the dealer, but she didn't give us much of a choice.

In cases like this I ask for the check directly and sign off on the claim. Then get the glass done cheaper elsewhere and do the work myself on the rest or go someplace less expensive. On a claim like this you could negotiate at least with the dealer. I have put $1-2K in my pocket after deductible in cases like this.

DaveinOlyWA said:
problem, most alarm systems usually have to be enabled by the remote key lock (not the button on the door!!) and i admit i almost always use the button on the door!
The LEAF user manual says the alarm gets armed no matter how you lock the door. I tested it and it is true. Note the only way I found to make the alarm go off was to open a window all the way, lock the car, wait at least 30 seconds until the red alarm indicator on the dash changes from solid on to blinking and then reaching through the window to unlock the door and then opening the door.

thimel said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The LEAF user manual says the alarm gets armed no matter how you lock the door. I tested it and it is true. Note the only way I found to make the alarm go off was to open a window all the way, lock the car, wait at least 30 seconds until the red alarm indicator on the dash changes from solid on to blinking and then reaching through the window to unlock the door and then opening the door.

Most cars do it this way, now. But the OP said that the perps never opened the door, just crawled in through the window.

ztanos said:
Most cars do it this way, now. But the OP said that the perps never opened the door, just crawled in through the window.
Which is why we were discussing the optional motion sensor which would have made it go off when the window was broken. I'm not sure why they split that part of the thread out...discussing the alarm upgrade in a thread about a stolen radio made perfect sense.

Anyway, that discussion is here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8744&p=194696#p194696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davewill said:
ztanos said:
Which is why we were discussing the optional motion sensor which would have made it go off when the window was broken. I'm not sure why they split that part of the thread out...discussing the alarm upgrade in a thread about a stolen radio made perfect sense.

Anyway, that discussion is here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8744&p=194696#p194696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lol, sorry missed the segue. :roll:

These thugs that destroyed your Leaf were not professionals. My car was broke into almost the same way, and the police told me, professionals do not break the windows. Seriously, the horn beeping is like a toy horn. My wife and I actually laughed the first time I used the horn in traffic. It is beyond pathetic, I actually do not use the horn b/c I don't want people to hear it and laugh. I need to change it out for a real car horn.

Again, sorry about your car, I truly know how you feel violated. :shock:

Actually, the security alarm horn is NOT the same as the normal horn. It's even more pathetic! :)

If anyone upgrades their horn, be sure to run a jumper wire to the alarm horn wire so you get the benefit on both.

It's hidden under the passenger side headlight.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Actually, the security alarm horn is NOT the same as the normal horn. It's even more pathetic! :)

If anyone upgrades their horn, be sure to run a jumper wire to the alarm horn wire so you get the benefit on both.

It's hidden under the passenger side headlight.

-Phil

Here is a picture. You will see it just under the water tank.

Back