Last 2011 Orders on Friday - Do You Wait for a 2012?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reeler

I just spoke with Nissan customer support and they said that the last 2011 order will be taken on Friday. You should wait for Saturday if you want a 2012 model. Pricing for the 2012 was not known.

It seems the 2012 will have the cold weather package standard along with the quick charge port for the SL model. Who knows on pricing.

What would you do?

It depends on your needs. For me, the 2011 model is fine. I got the SV and don't anticipate missing the quick charge port. I live in Los Angeles, so cold weather package really doesn't matter. You have to balance your need for the additional features vs. the unknown price.

That's a great question, reeler. One of the important variables is unknown, which is price.

I have long suspected that Nissan will raise the price of the 2012 model, but with no real hard evidence. Look at what they did when the Canadian orders started up (included cold weather package and raised the price to $40K).

If the price were the same or close to the same to account for a reasonable cold weather upcharge, I'd order a 2012 model. But if they raise the price several thousand dollars, I'd want to go with the 2011 model.

It might lure me to the 2012's if some additional colors would be available as well...

Choices, choices....

If you don't need the cold weather package don't get it because it will just cut your range down.

reeler said:
I just spoke with Nissan customer support and they said that the last 2011 order will be taken on Friday. You should wait for Saturday if you want a 2012 model. Pricing for the 2012 was not known.

It seems the 2012 will have the cold weather package standard along with the quick charge port for the SL model. Who knows on pricing.

What would you do?

Well, to throw an unknown into this...

Per Nissan, they aren't sure when they're going to reopen the reservation process for ordering MY12's (probably within a month or so), and I wouldn't not automatically assume that the leftover reservationists will be getting MY12's, no matter what CS said. From what I hear internally they haven't figured out what production allocation looks like for the MY12's yet.

So, since we have nebulous answers from different parts of Nissan, here is what I recommend: If you have the ability to RAQ and you want the car, don't wait, because who knows what's going to happen. If you're on the fence and delivery timing isn't important, wait to see what shakes out.

Gonewild said:
If you don't need the cold weather package don't get it because it will just cut your range down.

While the range penalty may be small, I agree that there's got to be SOME penalty. Living in Texas (or other warm weather climates), it seems like an unnecessary penalty if you want to squeeze every last mile out of your range.

Stanton said:
Gonewild said:

While the range penalty may be small, I agree that there's got to be SOME penalty. Living in Texas (or other warm weather climates), it seems like an unnecessary penalty if you want to squeeze every last mile out of your range.

How is it going to cut the range down if you're not using those features? I can't imagine there's much added weight. The battery heaters look pretty small in the service manual.

BrendanDolan said:
reeler said:

What would you do?

Well, to throw an unknown into this...

Per Nissan, they aren't sure when they're going to reopen the reservation process for ordering MY12's (probably within a month or so), and I wouldn't not automatically assume that the leftover reservationists will be getting MY12's, no matter what CS said. From what I hear internally they haven't figured out what production allocation looks like for the MY12's

Brendan , when you say reopen reservation process do you mean just that , or the allowing of orders in wave 2 areas by original reservation holders?
yet.

So, since we have nebulous answers from different parts of Nissan, here is what I recommend: If you have the ability to RAQ and you want the car, don't wait, because who knows what's going to happen. If you're on the fence and delivery timing isn't important, wait to see what shakes out.

kmp647 said:
Brendan , when you say reopen reservation process do you mean just that , or the allowing of orders in wave 2 areas by original reservation holders?
yet.

Reopening reservations in Wave 1 States. I still don't have a definitive word on when they're going to open up Wave 2. I've heard mixed messages (Wave 1 will reopen the reservation process and wave 2 will wait, and I've also heard they're both going to open at the same time). So, the wait and see approach applies to you since it seems you're stuck in wave 2. :cry:

To me reopening reservations again in tier 1 would be another gut punch to everyone else waiting to order in other areas.

I would hope they open tier 2 orders together with more tier 1

Or open tier 2 on it's own even if it's just for a week

I'm enjoying every gas free electric mile in my LEAF now. Where do you draw the line to buy one? I say buy one ASAP and stop the discussion. There will always be the opportunity to trade in on a newer and better model later... You're missing out now for the dream of later........... :cool:

As I replied to @EVNow (I should have a Twitter alias @AECN because we've had EVs for years, but how long have they been affordable! :)

But I digress, my point is: SE get ready to order!!!!!

I'm reading it very positively: the closing of the Model Year 2011 is the opening of new markets for Model Year 2012. On Friday the doors close, on Monday they open for us. Late July Ordering, here we come!!!

http://aecn.timehorse.com/2011/06/july-2011-nissan-leaf-orders.html

I ordered in May then heard about the 2012 additions while waiting. After reading about the heater and the significant power it takes I really wanted heated seats for those cold northwestern winters. I thought about canceling and waiting. I didn't because I don't want to wait any longer plus I don't need heated mirrors or a battery heater that only kicks in at 4 degrees to allow the car to start. Being in Portland and keeping it in the garage eliminates the possibility the car will ever experience temps that cold. I also hardly drive more than 50 miles at once so the heater should be fine. I can't justify paying $???? for heated seats. The only time I would really need it if I were driving over 50 miles and it was parked outside for a long time. I can pre-warm in my garage in the morning with no range penalty and my garage almost never gets colder than 50. Since Portland is a small place with a mild climate, I can't justify the unknown cost. Plus, I can't wait any longer. Delivery date, October... I'm also getting a free Blink and $700 QC port. If I wait, funds may be gone. Anyone know how to add heated seats later?

TimeHorse said:
I'm reading it very positively: the closing of the Model Year 2011 is the opening of new markets for Model Year 2012. On Friday the doors close, on Monday they open for us. Late July Ordering, here we come!!!

http://aecn.timehorse.com/2011/06/july-2011-nissan-leaf-orders.html
I'd not be so positive - it will take time for Nissan to setup and get ready for MY12 orders. They haven't even announced prices to the dealers. At a minimum I expect a few days of gap between announcement of prices and ordering to begin.

Blackhouse said:
Anyone know how to add heated seats later?

Adding Heated seats is not too hard if you are a do it yourselfer. I added them to my Miata for about $150 per seat and I think a took a whole Saturday to do both seats.

Or you can pay an upholstry shop to install them for around $400 per seat (there are better deals out there).

Speaking of installing it yourself, I found a website that will sell you Katzkin leathers for self installation: http://www.shopsar.com/nissan-leaf-katzkin-leather-p/katz-j2ni48.htm

Back on topic though - If I were in the position to decide between ordering now and waiting for MY2012, I would order now to secure my 2011 (I can orphan it later) and wait to see what the 2012 details are like. It may delay my 2012, but we all waited so long that a little more wait isn't that bad.

I'd be worried about how the extra insulation they put around the battery pack is going to affect the car in the summer time if you move to a hot weather state after a few years. I assume you can't just unwrap it or not use it. Once it's on, it's on, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back