Lamo Leaf driver doing 50 mph in 2nd lane in heavy traffic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to convince myself that a confrontation was not the way to go this morning. I was driving on a 35mph road at about 40mph, one lane each direction. Stupid kid behind me in his Jeep, with illegal headlights blaring in my rearview, was impatient and riding my butt, so as the road widened to two lanes going our way, I moved toward the right lane to let him by. The idiot didn't want to wait for me to ease right, and ended up passing me on the right before we even reached the point where the lane had finished splitting. We ended up at the same stop sign a block later, with a cop all camped out to catch people running the sign, but that was too late.

Well, he ends up turning into the same parking lot I was headed for, and I wanted to go and tell the jerk off in the worst way, but thought better of it.

Well, he ends up turning into the same parking lot I was headed for, and I wanted to go and tell the jerk off in the worst way, but thought better of it.

When somebody does that and ends up in the same general space as you, not really getting ahead, it's much more fun to just smile and wave at them ... :D

eclecticflower said:

When somebody does that and ends up in the same general space as you, not really getting ahead, it's much more fun to just smile and wave at them ... :D

Haha yes. I tend to laugh silently when it's someone I do not know... since in TN I am most likely not the only person with a carry permit... and I want to avoid confrontation.

However, I did give my brother much grief as we left a restaurant at the same time headed towards his house. He is known for his jack rabbit acceleration and lead foot. On this particular route, it was about ~5 miles of 35mph streets and ~5 miles of interstate with a posted speed limit of 55. He did 45+ on the streets and 80+ (like most traffic) on the interstate. Between lights I would be coasting to a stop as his light finally turned green (ie, his speeding gained him nothing there). As I approached the on-ramp, he left me in his dust, easily already doing 70mph.

I stuck to 50mph on the interstate for the 5 miles, and as I am turning onto his street, I see him just then pulling into his driveway. I pulled up, put my car in park, and he had just gotten out of his car and locked it. You better believe I gave him grief for all of his speeding and he gained all of 30seconds on me? Good times. At least he has come to realize that speeding doesn't gain him as much as he thinks.

since in TN I am most likely not the only person with a carry permit... and I want to avoid confrontation.
Great to know :eek: In my mind those drivers are having "gas"tronomical emergencies and are in great need of a restroom! :lol: I recently experienced one of them illegally passing me on the right, on a long, uphill highway on-ramp (he took part of the shoulder!). I was ramping to 60 mph at the time, getting onto a 70 mph highway...too slow for him? I was astounded - must've been some "emergency!" :roll:

I enjoyed giving a "lady" a ticket for that waaaay back in the day. Let's just say her bad day got a lot worse with 3 tickets under her belt. (Lady in "" because real ladies don't use that sort of language) :lol:

abasile said:
dwatson said:
As a cyclist, I laugh at this. Motorists are scofflaws in general and threads like this are everywhere on car forums. Yet bring up bikes and the hate flows.
Yes, as a fellow cyclist (I actually enjoy riding my bike more than driving my LEAF, which says a lot), I agree that some motorists loathe anyone cycling or driving more slowly than they.

But in general, don't cast stones at motorists for being scofflaws. On your bicycle, do you come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Or signal every turn? That said, following traffic laws designed for cars doesn't always make sense on a bike, especially since bikes don't trigger traffic signal sensors. I digress...
That is my point. You can't mention cyclists without someone talking stop signs.

I find it interesting you mention signalling. That is one of the big failures of all motorists and one of the few things that is actually different for cyclists. Most, if not all states, have laws on the books about signalling that excepts cyclists from having to hold a signal for xxx feet before the turn. The rules for cyclists in WA are basically signal at some point, we will hold you at your word.

I don't mean to divert into cycling though. It is just as a cycling advocate, motorists and apologists always rant about cyclists and traffic laws. Yet this entire thread is about motorist pissed that others aren't breaking the law.

Back