Lack of DC QC Stations – Technical, Political or Greed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaslessInSeattle said:
cdub said:
jkirkebo said:
You are aware that the Model S does have DC fast charge? Just not CHADEMO

yep, Tesla is making a huge mistake going alone with a proprietary standard no other EV will be able to share... imagine all those "Tesla only" chargers. Sometimes exclusivity is just a waste of redundant resources and a lost opportunity to give CHADEMO the momentum it needs.
They consider the J1772 QC to be inferior, but will have an adapter for it so that they can use it. I doubt there will be any large number of Tesla QCs installed, just enough to handle the most likely long interstate runs until a single standard wins out.

GRA said:
They consider the J1772 QC to be inferior, but will have an adapter for it so that they can use it. I doubt there will be any large number of Tesla QCs installed, just enough to handle the most likely long interstate runs until a single standard wins out.

I'm not sure that they will have an adapter. I was out at the Tesla site and there was a discussion about that. There were some that wanted it but apparently it's more complex than just wiring up an adapter plug. Remember that there is a protocol that must be implemented to allow the car and charger to communicate.

I didn't read all of the posts so I could be wrong but my sense was that it's not going to happen.

adric22 said:
You're only going to get 50 miles at best between quick charges and then waiting 30 minutes.

If you are only getting 50 miles on the freeway with an 80% charge, you must be driving 70-75mph. I, OTOH, will drive 55-60 for 70-80 miles and recharge in less than 30 minutes. I need a stretching/restroom/snack break every hour and a quarter or so while driving longer distances. The only time it takes 30 minutes to 80% is if you are close to Turtle (1.4%-2.4%SOC).

GaslessInSeattle said:
yep, Tesla is making a huge mistake going alone with a proprietary standard no other EV will be able to share... imagine all those "Tesla only" chargers. Sometimes exclusivity is just a waste of redundant resources and a lost opportunity to give CHADEMO the momentum it needs.

Something you may not know: Teslas have been using Blink's QC stations here. They all seem to have adapters that they use so it's no big deal about them having a different standard.

LEAFfan said:
Something you may not know: Teslas have been using Blink's QC stations here. They all seem to have adapters that they use so it's no big deal about them having a different standard.

Really? Got any pictures to prove it?

Are you sure they aren't just using J1772 adapters to Blink Level 2 AC stations?

What Tesla model are you talking about anyways? The Roadster doesn't support any kind of DC QC.
The Model S prototypes aren't exactly "out and about" in a big way just yet.

TEG said:
LEAFfan said:

Really? Got any pictures to prove it?
Are you sure they aren't just using J1772 adapters to Blink Level 2 AC stations?
What Tesla model are you talking about anyways? The Roadster doesn't support any kind of DC QC.
The Model S prototypes aren't exactly "out and about" in a big way just yet.

No pics, but when I was at the QC station at Toyota, several sales people said Teslas have been using their QC. They said they have adapters. I told them that they were probably using the L2 stations. I've actually seen them use the Blink station with an adaptor for L2. But they insisted they were using the QC. I have a feeling that since Toyota doesn't even have a car that can use QC, the people there have no idea which one is QC.

ok lets look at this aerovirment,blink, chargepoint/seimans and nissan are the only ones that have a UL listed product and they will not sell you one no matter how much money you have period!! that is because they have their butts on the line with govt funds (except nissan charger). how ever private biz will over take these monsters very soon I dought nissan will have one for the general public any time soon they need to many for the ones the promised us at nissan dealers.SQ D and eaton will soon be on the scene. and look out us small guys will wipe the big ones out QUIK!! we have the price for QC around 7- 10 dollars per charge and no middle man!! and yes tennessee has 18 operational qc some blink some others. and many more on the way. but i think in the long run blink and chargepoint will fail just to much greed and promises.I personal put 200 miles a day on my leaf with just L2 but im spoiled!!

Back