L2 Areoviroment EVSE humming without Leaf plugged in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmpUpCO

Leafers,

While I was at work today, my wife was straightening up in the garage and noticed a humming sound coming from our wall mounted L2 Areoviroment EVSE. It hummed for about 15 minutes. Stopped for about a half hour, then again hummed for about 15 minutes. This cycle repeated 3 times in the span of about 2 hours.

Note: I drove the Leaf to work.

So, all this humming was going on without the car plugged in.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

I'm speculating (and hoping) that it might be some sort of diagnostic check.

I've had my 2012 Leaf since January. The EVSE was professionally installed. I have never had a issue charging.

Unusual. I assume you have the standard EVSE-RS. Do you have solar ? What kind of inverter ? Are you on a TOU plan with your utility ?

I would call AV support line and report it. Check if the "regularity" of the humming/silence cycles is anything they can explain (like the above suggested diagnostics).

I don't have direct experience with this unit, but there should be a "self-test" available (see manual); run it. Then continue to monitor -- if practical -- as time allows. How loud is the humming ? While humming is there any change in the status LEDs ?

I don't "see" anything ;) that should prevent you from LEAF charging for now.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but........

Are you SURE it's the AV EVSE?

Not something completely unrelated that is vibrating the wall, or has set up a harmonic that's vibrating the wall / charger?

Where is the dryer in relationship to the wall?
Toilet?
Walls are a big flat passive radiator for low frequency sound.

Just a thought.

My AV EVSE has been trouble free.

I've been inside it, and there isn't really anything in there to "hum" except maybe the coil on the contactor, and It would more likely chatter if it went whack.

Let us know what you find.

After interrogating the spouse more thoroughly, it seems the humming is not coming from the EVSE itself, but rather from the electrical box right next to it. Again, I ask the question, "Without a load (car), why would the junction box hum?

It's simply a junction box with a breaker switch in it. There's a short - 30 foot dedicated run - from the home's electrical box/panel to the junction box - then a 14" run from the junction box to EVSE.

Back