Korean CNG Bus Explosion Caught On Camera

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smidge204 said:
Re: Sydney bus fire: The "explosions" sound more like tires popping. Also looks like the pressure relief valve opened up (the noise starting at 0:34). Despite the fire, the tanks seem to have held... would have been one hell of a boom if they didn't.

Here's an official preliminary report (PDF) - investigation is still in progress. Fire started in the engine compartment.
Sorry for the bump but I found out recently that the investigation has gotten some results.

http://www.otsi.nsw.gov.au/bus/preliminary_report_bsi_fire_involving_sta_bus_mo4878.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the bus caught fire due to a coolant leak. Probable cause is a poorly aligned coolant return pipe that put stress on a short length of rubber hose, causing it to fail. The loss of coolant caused overheating, which in turn allowed the water in the coolant to evaporate and the concentrated glycol to ignite. The fire then spread to the inside of the bus through an unshielded floor hatch.

It was noted that the CNG tanks were not destroyed by the fire, and that the temperature activated safety valves did their job and vented the gas before an explosion was possible.
=Smidge=

Back