Key FOB replacement policy ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toasty said:
anyone know the current price for replacement? (for a 2011 model?)
I paid $16.55 for H0564-1FA0B (they physical key) and $98.70 for 285E3-1KM0D (the remote) from EverythingNissan.com It's possible for them to actual order the correct physical key instead of sending a generic blank.

Note that you'll need the dealership to program the new remotes and you'll need all the remotes that you want to work present when they do this. I believe my dealership charged ~$75 for this service so I'd advice making sure you are taking them all the remotes possible. I believe the max you can have programmed at one time is 4 but you should verify that before taking my word as I don't have a direct source and it's just from memory.

Piece of cake. Mine lasted 2+ years. Lots of Youtube video how-to's, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rocyzHJgn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one remote. Dealer gave me an iou for the second. I made sure knowing what they can cost. I ordered one off ebay for $38 hoping when they program my other 2 they will just "do" the 3rd one too :)

Is the programming volatile? If I take a working key fob open it up remove the battery and store it

Can I say 2 4 6 years later reassemble and it will still be programmed for my car?

nerys said:
I have one remote. Dealer gave me an iou for the second. I made sure knowing what they can cost. I ordered one off ebay for $38 hoping when they program my other 2 they will just "do" the 3rd one too :)

Is the programming volatile? If I take a working key fob open it up remove the battery and store it

Can I say 2 4 6 years later reassemble and it will still be programmed for my car?

Nice trick! It's expensive to have them program them so that'll work well.

Shouldn't have any problem with taking the battery out and storing. In fact you don't need the battery at all. With the keys (except on the eBay remote) you can unlock the door and then with the FOB close to the power button you can start the car with no battery. I have a fob that I ran through the wash and it doesn't unlock the doors anymore but I can still start the car.

mgoleta said:
I recently had my Prius key FOB have a button stuck down which was no longer under warranty(3 months too late). It made the key FOB worse than useless. The Toyota Prius key FOB replacement cost is rarely under $400 ($176 for the key+ $250 for reprogramming+tax). There are posted incidents of dealer charges exceeding $800 for replacement.

It would be nice if someone from Nissan would make a commitment to a LEAF key FOB replacement policy having a reasonable replacement cost. Nissan may already be planning that. Could we get a dealer or corporate response for Nissan's policies for this?

I bought a couple of Nissan Key Fobs for my Wife's Altima off eBay for not much money. Can't remember how much, but it was small potatoes.

It costs about $90 to get them activated at the dealer.

I remember it was considerably cheaper this way than to buy new replacements.

I lost one of our two 2012 Nissan LEAF intelligent keys recently.
I called my dealer in SD, & they quoted $343 to replace it!!! $343 for a key! Just to program a key that I brought in, they wanted $115.
I got the key for $90 at car & truck remote .com.
Then called around to 3 locksmiths I found on Yelp & was quoted $120, $95, & $90. I chose the least expensive obviously.
So, I ended up paying $180 total; instead of the dealer's ridiculous request of $343.
Unbelievable.

a little off topic, but all the questions seemed to have been answered here... I think the silliest thing ever is how when you rent a car, they give you both key fobs irreversibly tied together.. so if you lose it, you lose both, and I imagine have to pony up for a computer replacement. I've taken snips and forcibly separated them, put one in a safe place, and used the other. at the end of the rental, I took a piece of string or a wire tie and joined them back together again.

Amen to trying your local locksmith(s). Car was broken into (smashed window), purse stolen with fob key for another vehicle inside. Who knows that the dealer charges, a certified locksmith provided a factory replacement fob key. cut the metal key, and programmed the new key/deleted the missing key for $135.

johnrhansen said:
a little off topic, but all the questions seemed to have been answered here... I think the silliest thing ever is how when you rent a car, they give you both key fobs irreversibly tied together.. so if you lose it, you lose both, and I imagine have to pony up for a computer replacement. I've taken snips and forcibly separated them, put one in a safe place, and used the other. at the end of the rental, I took a piece of string or a wire tie and joined them back together again.

I was just thinking the same thing after renting a car recently. The only two reasons I can think of is this helps them maintain the keys so when they go to sell the cars they have both keys/fobs. But that would only work if we assume that they do not have a working backup key, which to me seems a bit absurd?! Then of course the fact that they can make more money for a lost key if you lose two keys vs just one.

I cut the rental keys in half am I not supposed to do that? I give one to my wife so we both have one. I just stick them back together when I turn the car in with the rings. I also don't want a giant double set of keys and remotes in my pocket.

And thieves take one key, sub in a dummy key, complain that the battery is dead in one, return the car then come back and get it later....

Back