Just test drove Leaf - my impressions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel44

1. I liked how the car behaved (acceleration, handling etc.)
2. telematics/media unit + absence of LTE is a joke in 2016 (especially in light of recent security issues)
3. absence of ACC and AEB is a big negative
4. sales person tried to convince me, that 24KWh version can reliably drive 170km (106 miles) at highway speeds :roll:
5. people at the stealership knew much much less about the car, them I did
6. stealership was staffed by dishonest idiots (which sadly isnt any surprise)

ACC adds cost - this is economy vehicle mostly for cities and short range highway so long cruising is not even expected out of it.
Stealers do suck. This is why Tesla doesn't even try to manage these jerks.
30kWh model can not reliably drive 170km on highway at HIGHWAY speeds - only in ideal conditions.

LTE is unneccessary though it doesn't add any cost to manufacturer.

Next model will have AEB as this is requirement to get 5 stars in Ncaptest (crashtest EU).
It is Nissan - they do not produce high quality vehicles. Same with their dealers - mediocre guys.

Test drive VW e-Golf - that is something else.

I assume you drove an S model?

My local dealership experience hasn't been fabulous either. Even when you discuss a price over the phone, the dealers find it reasonable to add on (I'm not kidding) $1500 worth of processing fees, total loss protection, and NMAC rebates they won't get for a cash purchase. This is mostly on used Leaf's so far, and there aren't a ton in our part of VA.

Keith

Rebel44 said:
4. sales person tried to convince me, that 24KWh version can reliably drive 170km (106 miles) at highway speeds :roll:
5. people at the stealership knew much much less about the car, them I did
6. stealership was staffed by dishonest idiots (which sadly isnt any surprise)

Exactly the reason Tesla wants nothing to do with independent dealers.

The local and national dealer associations should be rather embarrassed about what they protect.

Ever notice that sales people at stealerships, rarely drive the brand they are pushing, the only (2) leaf techs for Nissan, there are 6 total on the island both drive....ready...Honda's the other 4 work at a shop that specialize in hybrid auto repair....they wanted 3 grand for the battery swap.

HornsKeith said:
I assume you drove an S model?

My local dealership experience hasn't been fabulous either. Even when you discuss a price over the phone, the dealers find it reasonable to add on (I'm not kidding) $1500 worth of processing fees, total loss protection, and NMAC rebates they won't get for a cash purchase. This is mostly on used Leaf's so far, and there aren't a ton in our part of VA.

Keith
I drove 2015 SV version and sales person didnt even know how to use some of cars features....

grandizer52 said:
Ever notice that sales people at stealerships, rarely drive the brand they are pushing, the only (2) leaf techs for Nissan, there are 6 total on the island both drive....ready...Honda's the other 4 work at a shop that specialize in hybrid auto repair....they wanted 3 grand for the battery swap.

I asked a tech this once when I worked at BMW. Why not drive a BMW, you get discount parts and you are trained to fix anything? He had his car in the shop after hours fixing something. I got the best answer along the lines of.... When you deal with them all day and know all the problems, all the things that could go wrong, hear so many customers complain about them you just don't want to deal with it. If I bought a used BMW for what I paid for this I'd probably spend a couple thousand in replacement parts that it didn't need because I'd know what might break. Plus I drive them all day it's boring to drive it again and they just remind me of work.

Back to the original post. LTE would do nothing for security it would just connect differently. The system is very limited. The amount of data that it handles is very small. Yes 2G might be a little slow but it doesn't make it less user friendly. 4G would be overkill, unless they were going to offer a data wifi hotpot. In the end you'd be paying extra for that and your cell phone plan already includes it. Why pay twice?

If you want ACC and AEB wait. That is such a new technology that you can't expect it to be on any car that isn't a new platform. It's just showing up as options on high trim levels of mid to high end cars.

If you were even considering a base S (not sure if you were of if that's just what the dealer was showing you) and you expect that option then I think you're being a bit un realistic.

I think the only plug in that gives it to you with decent range is the Volt gen 2 in the high end trim and Tesla. It's an option on the Fusion and Sonata too. The Ioniq will probably have it. The bolt I think will however in an interview I read that it wouldn't have smart cruise control but it would get great safety scores. I think it's the same tech that allows the cruise to be smart that gives it automatic emergency braking (AEB) which you need to get top safety pick + now.

Also I'd say to anyone looking at a 2016 wait.... they were clearing out 2015s last year with good cash back offers. They dropped the ball by increasing the cost for the 30kWh battery. With a car in the last few years in the model cycle they should have dropped the S price held the SV and SL constant and given you the 30kWh battery. At the end of the year with the bolt at or near production and model 3 reservations in full swing and maybe (just maybe) appearing to be on schedule they would have to drop at least $6k from an SV to move it.

minispeed said:
grandizer52 said:

1. Back to the original post. LTE would do nothing for security it would just connect differently. The system is very limited. The amount of data that it handles is very small. Yes 2G might be a little slow but it doesn't make it less user friendly. 4G would be overkill, unless they were going to offer a data wifi hotpot. In the end you'd be paying extra for that and your cell phone plan already includes it. Why pay twice?

2. If you want ACC and AEB wait. That is such a new technology that you can't expect it to be on any car that isn't a new platform. It's just showing up as options on high trim levels of mid to high end cars.

3. If you were even considering a base S (not sure if you were of if that's just what the dealer was showing you) and you expect that option then I think you're being a bit un realistic.

4. I think the only plug in that gives it to you with decent range is the Volt gen 2 in the high end trim and Tesla. It's an option on the Fusion and Sonata too. The Ioniq will probably have it. The bolt I think will however in an interview I read that it wouldn't have smart cruise control but it would get great safety scores. I think it's the same tech that allows the cruise to be smart that gives it automatic emergency braking (AEB) which you need to get top safety pick + now.

5.Also I'd say to anyone looking at a 2016 wait.... they were clearing out 2015s last year with good cash back offers. They dropped the ball by increasing the cost for the 30kWh battery. With a car in the last few years in the model cycle they should have dropped the S price held the SV and SL constant and given you the 30kWh battery. At the end of the year with the bolt at or near production and model 3 reservations in full swing and maybe (just maybe) appearing to be on schedule they would have to drop at least $6k from an SV to move it.

1. I work in telecommunications and where I live my employer (as well as their competitors) plan to start removing 2G in 2017 and 3G in 2018, so for a long term item (car) with connectivity I really want LTE.

2. AEB is available even on cheap cars like €8K VW UP! as an option (for something like €200) and it was added as a part of new model year (not any big refresh)

3. I was considering SV and SL

4. Yep - looks like I will have to wait for EV, that is a good deal for me

5. I agree

Back