Just purchased a New 4k miles 2011 SL. L2 Charger???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otokron

I'm a new owner. Just bought a 2011 SL Dealer Demo car, sold to me as brand new with the brand new warranty and everything (I think I got a great deal).

I've seen the 30Amp ones all over the web, as well as the upgrade package from http://www.evseupgrade.com. :?:

What would be the best option for a L2 Charger for my 2011? Faster charge, etc...

This question might be somewhere else so, if you can direct me to the link I'd also appreciate that.

Thank you.

Double and triple check the warranty details. The word we've had from other demo purchasers is that the warranty clock starts while the dealer is using it as a demo, which for a 2011 could be well over a year:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8724#p194262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegGuheert said:
Finally, I will point out that you should be aware that even though the car is still new, the months the car has sat after being put into service will be subtracted from the warranty you get. Since the service date for our car was five months before we purchased it, we only got a 91-month warranty on our car instead of the normal 96. As such, I recommend that you ask for the service date for the vehicle. It is printed on any service report made for the vehicle.
As far as the L2 goes, the upgrade is by far the cheapest option. Beware installs done by the EVSE seller as they have huge markups. Source your EVSE, and try not to pay over $800. Get a couple of quotes from local electricians to do the install, unless you're competent to DIY it.

Thank you for the replies smkettner, leafedbehind & davewill.

Will highly consider the EVSE Upgrade for now because of the portability convenience. So far I think it might be the best option and then, later on, purchase a home charger. It's more expensive than the Leviton ($749) being at $1072 with the 120v add-on for dual capacity, but the portability kinda makes for it. IMO.

Also if you drive 40 miles or less per day, you can probably get by using only the 120V option that came with the car. Also if you are good at installing electrical stuff, or know somebody who is.. you can probably install a wall-mount EVSE fairly inexpensively.

davewill said:
Double and triple check the warranty details. The word we've had from other demo purchasers is that the warranty clock starts while the dealer is using it as a demo, which for a 2011 could be well over a year:

Ouch. I totally missed this fact when I purchased my 2011 SL demo as a "new" car, but I just researched and verified. Yes, you still get all the new car tax incentives, as the car has not been titled/registered before, but yes the warranty clock started at zero miles and the day it started service as a demo. And yes, this is common practice among manufacturers. Note, however, that not every car that goes out on test drives is officially designated a "demo" - in my case the sticker had the word DEMO clearly labeled on it just to make the point clear.

Now, if you are a high mileage user of the LEAF this is very probably a non-issue. The basic coverage is 36/36,000 and the other coverages assume about 10k miles per year (the battery warranty is better at 96 months/100k). For example, we're logging miles on our 2011 LEAF at nearly a 20k/year pace, and the demo already had 1624 miles on it, so we will exceed the basic warranty at about the 20 month mark.

What this means is that dealers with new 2011s still for sale (over 20 on Autotrader.com right now) should be under a tremendous pressure to move them asap while there is still some warranty left.

The Nissan extended 8 year bumper-to-bumper factory warranty is about $1100 if you shop around, you can mail order it.. you can wait until the original warranty is about to expire to buy it.

otokron said:

Will highly consider the EVSE Upgrade for now because of the portability convenience. So far I think it might be the best option and then, later on, purchase a home charger. It's more expensive than the Leviton ($749) being at $1072 with the 120v add-on for dual capacity, but the portability kinda makes for it. IMO.

Cost is $332 complete not $1072.

EVDRIVER said:
otokron said:

Cost is $332 complete not $1072.

I was just checking for a second unit. The $1072 would be for a 2nd unit with the V2 and 120v extra option.

otokron said:
I was just checking for a second unit. The $1072 would be for a 2nd unit with the V2 and 120v extra option.
As smkettner said, don't buy a second unit. You don't need two portables; that's just new-owner anxiety. You'll soon get over it. I will admit that you are in an area without many public charging stations, but round trips to Tallahassee or the Gulf are within easy range. Unless your needs are very unusual, most of your charging will be at home. There is no point in carrying an EVSE around with you everywhere you go. It just adds a bit of weight and takes up space in the back. Sure, if you want to go to the north side of Lake Talquin you would toss it in for insurance, but I assume you don't do that on a daily basis.

I've had my LEAF nearly two years, and the EVSEupgrade is the only EVSE I have ever used apart from less than a dozen charges at public stations. If you really can't live without charging for the week or so it will take to ship your trickle charge EVSE to Phil and get the upgrade back, then take advantage of his advance shipment procedure for $75. It sure beats the extra $700+ you'd pay for something you don't need.

Ray

Thanks to everybody for the replies :!: I'm sure this will also help any other new(er) Leaf owner.

Now... I am still considering the second unit option just to avoid the, if needed, taking the only unit with me and plug and unplug hassle. Having said that (not fully convinced yet :? ), if I go with the second unit to keep the 120v always in my car, I've seen the following:

Leviton EVB22-3PT unit on Amazon for $749 http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB22-3PT-Evr-Green-Charging-Station/dp/B00B2GWRLQ/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Home Depot, a similar (if not the same) unit Evr-Green 160 30A unit http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...t-P00-EVKIT-030/204088633?N=c3gj#.UVIbTxflbi4 for $849, granted the Home Depot one includes a "Free" Installation Kit, which normally runs for about $80.

I've seen the 16A units, like a Legrand offered by Home Depot for $749 but, on that matter, with the price I purchased my Leaf for, current value, and potential value by the time, I might later on trade it for a newer 2013 or 2014 later on, which is capable of 30A charging.

Any thoughts on that?

Amazon is the 160 and provides 16a charging and requires 20a circuit. This is full speed for the 2011/2012 LEAF
HD is the 320 and provides 30a charging and requires 40a circuit. This will charge 2013 LEAF at full power.

No difference if you will charge overnight. If you run 70 miles in the morning and want to run another 70 miles in the afternoon the 2013 with the 320 will cut the wait time about in half.

If you have any electric power limitations the 160 will charge any LEAF at 16a just fine.

otokron said:
I've seen the 16A units, like a Legrand offered by Home Depot for $749 but, on that matter, with the price I purchased my Leaf for, current value, and potential value by the time, I might later on trade it for a newer 2013 or 2014 later on, which is capable of 30A charging.

Any thoughts on that?
Well, 16a 240v is actually enough for most home charging. Most of the 16a EVSEs are cheaper than a second upgrade, as are some of the 30a units. Nicer looking install, too. Unless the difference in the install cost is a problem, I'd go 30a. I'm glad I have a wall unit, and can carry my EVSE upgrade around with me, but you have to decide what that's really worth to you. I've probably used the portable away from home a couple dozen times, with probably 5 or 6 of those times being an absolute necessity. The frequency has really dropped off now that the L2 network has finally been built out some, though.

Note: Ingineer has warned us off Legrand units. He took the L1 unit apart and pretty much declared it junk. It had 16 gauge wire when everyone else uses 14 gauge or better. Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from them.

Alright... and the search continues.

Just found another L2 charger. The company is ClipperCreek, Inc. LCS-25, Level 2 Charging Station for $595. That's more like a price I'd be interested (not that I really mind spending more). I charge my car overnight, kind of need the 100% because of living 25mi (one way) from work and mostly everywhere, not that my car gets home with no charge (I get home with about 20mi/% left). But I get home early most of the days and, find myself stranded at home because of the time it takes to charge with my L1.
Here's the link for it.
http://stores.buyevse.com/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE,-Level/Detail.bok

Any thoughts?

otokron said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
L1 and L2 charger's in the car, under the hump in the back. You're looking to buy an EVSE.

:?:

I'm just shopping for an L2 charger. I know I have an L1 that came with the car...
No. Onboard charger is under the hump. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You are looking for an L2 EVSE (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glossary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Your car came w/an L1 EVSE (Panasonic cord set w/brick and J1772 handle).

From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
EVSE - Charging Equipment

All the discussion about the EV supply equipment (incorrectly referred to as charger by some) go here.

I got the evse upgrade and it is my only evse. I also got an adapter at evseadapters.com so I could L2 charge at RV parks.

65380_480611712004453_1414084054_n.jpg

Back