Just lost a bar this morning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this club is growing fast. I meant to post last month and finally got around to it now. Joining at #99 on the list as I have lost a bar as well and dropped about 20 miles range in one year. Did put over 18k miles but no QC and always drive in eco. Never parked outside the garage overnight in any kind of weather.

The leaf will not work for regular commute to work particularly as we get into the North TX winter if the range drops even a little more and the issue is not addressed by Nissan. Need at least 65 miles. Really regret being an early adopter now and all the initial excitement about stepping up to support the environment is withering away like the leaf's battery :(

pb1 said:
Looks like this club is growing fast. I meant to post last month and finally got around to it now. Joining at #99 on the list as I have lost a bar as well and dropped about 20 miles range in one year. Did put over 18k miles but no QC and always drive in eco. Never parked outside the garage overnight in any kind of weather.

The leaf will not work for regular commute to work particularly as we get into the North TX winter if the range drops even a little more and the issue is not addressed by Nissan. Need at least 65 miles. Really regret being an early adopter now and all the initial excitement about stepping up to support the environment is withering away like the leaf's battery :(

I feel your pain, Hoping Nissan will offer a battery fix or replacement so we can continue to drive the car. Do not like the idea of lemon return but if they force us it will happen. :!:

Hey Texas guys...did your battery temperature indicator ever drop below 6 bars during the summer even in air conditioned garages?

Just trying to anticipate after this KS summer. I expect I'll be a club member this time next year.

ksnogas2112 said:
Hey Texas guys...did your battery temperature indicator ever drop below 6 bars during the summer even in air conditioned garages?

Just trying to anticipate after this KS summer. I expect I'll be a club member this time next year.

Here in Cedar Park, just north of Austin, Texas. My battery reads 6 bars 24-7 and I work from home and the car is always in the garage.

Ian B

marccbr said:
My car has gone back to 10 bars when charging to 80%. Its been a little cooler, that is the only difference I have noticed.
Mine did same just before losing a bar. Although for me temps were rising at the time.

I might have missed an event or 2, but my battery temp seems to stay @ 6 bars 24/7/360 in Houston.

We drive very conservatively and M/Kwh = 4.9 since new & routinely 5.0+ per trip (car dash data)
I exclusively charge @ 120V. (well a few times 5? @ 220v for an hour or so, Never: LBW, turtle or QC)
100% Texas wind!

lives at 6 bars 24 /7 , did see a few 7s in july/aug, saw a few 5s mid winter. mine seems on the fast track with bar lost at just 11,000miles, garage kept, no QC, 80% charge 50%of the time. I have to go 100% charge now or cannot make all my trips/ errands when they popup. SO, its a lease, want worry about battery so much as long as it can make all my trips on a full charge. if not, It will go back to NIssan, probably sooner rather than Later. unless a new battery swap can keep me going for the next 2 years.

I'm at 17,500 miles after 15 months and I have not lost any bars yet. I charge to 100% 2 days a week and the rest is to 80% (all with my home charger @220V, no QC). I have also not noticed any drop in range. When charging to 80% I usually get home with 2 bars remaining and ~10 miles on the range meter, same as I was seeing when the car was new. I live in San Jose, CA where we see many days over 100F in the summer. I don't garage my car, but I try to keep it in the shade as much as possible.

I wonder where I am in the distribution. That is, am I doing better or worse than the average? The wiki is great for tracking how many cars have lost bars, but is anyone collecting data on the number of cars that have NOT lost bars under similar circumstances to those that have lost bars?

SparkyEV said:
I'm at 17,500 miles after 15 months and I have not lost any bars yet. I charge to 100% 2 days a week and the rest is to 80% (all with my home charger @220V, no QC). I have also not noticed any drop in range. When charging to 80% I usually get home with 2 bars remaining and ~10 miles on the range meter, same as I was seeing when the car was new. I live in San Jose, CA where we see many days over 100F in the summer. I don't garage my car, but I try to keep it in the shade as much as possible.

I wonder where I am in the distribution. That is, am I doing better or worse than the average? The wiki is great for tracking how many cars have lost bars, but is anyone collecting data on the number of cars that have NOT lost bars under similar circumstances to those that have lost bars?
What is your Temperature Bar history? Hot daytime shade would suggest well into 6th bar by end of day,but perhaps your evenings cool more than SoCal and you are at 5 Tbars most mornings?
To see your loss, borrow a Gid meter and take readings at both 80% and 100% charge. You will then know quite accurately how close or far you are from losing a capacity bar.

ksnogas2112 said:

About 3-4 times this summer, my car hit 7 temp bars while driving, but other than that, my car stayed at 6 temp bars all summer long. My garage stays pretty much right at 90 degrees in the summer, and since I also work from home, my car was parked in there day and night except for errand running. Last weekend, we had a bit of a cool snap with rain and the temps dropped down into the low 70s and I saw my FIRST battery temp of 5 bars. I was so excited! :)

vrwl said:
ksnogas2112 said:

About 3-4 times this summer, my car hit 7 temp bars while driving, but other than that, my car stayed at 6 temp bars all summer long. My garage stays pretty much right at 90 degrees in the summer, and since I also work from home, my car was parked in there day and night except for errand running. Last weekend, we had a bit of a cool snap with rain and the temps dropped down into the low 70s and I saw my FIRST battery temp of 5 bars. I was so excited! :)
Last summer during the afternoon I saw 7 temperature bars regularly.

Well I just joined the 10 bar club a few days ago!
23,000 miles & 25 months!

Houston

> 1st & 2nd year battery checks: 5 stars
> 120v charging ~90% of time
> no turtle
> 1 low battery warning
> no Quick charges ever (don't even know if it works)
> avg (dash) 5.0 mi/kwh since new
> when charge is set to 80% only charges to 75%
> not happy

I feel your pain. 3 bar loss in less than 20 months and about to be a 4 bar loss, only 2.5 miles per bar on the first 3 bars at 3.5Kwh

Well I just joined the 8 bar club a few days ago!
46,665 miles & 49 months! 7.15.15

Houston

Sorry for your loss but at least you are covered under the warranty! Are you going to wait to have the new battery installed?

dznit said:
Well I just joined the 8 bar club a few days ago!
46,665 miles & 49 months! 7.15.15

Houston

added to wiki

|- style="background:#ffffff;" valign=top
| Jul 15, 2015
| dznit
| Houston, TX
| 46,665 miles
| 49 months
| unknown mfg date
| 2011 model year
| unknown vin
|
|
| http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9978&start=30#p431030

if you want to give a VIN or MFG date, please do.

Back