Just leased a 2103 SL ... Did I pay too much?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah I re read and saw u got premium package, so they sold u the car for 2k less, so not great, but not worth crying over either

It's natural to feel upset after a pressure sale. Mad at the dealer, but it's like being mad at a cat catching mice. Mad at yourself, but you can only forgive yourself by learning the hard way.

If that's what you pay to take up your own power, then it's worth it, plus you still get the car.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Maybe not, there's truth in what TULeaf writes here:

TULeaf said:
You paid under $35k for a SL w/ premium that likely had a sticker over $37k. That's a decent deal.

You're monthly payment is so high because you put nothing down and rolled taxes into it. Even the base S model requires $2k down and prepayment of all taxes to get $199/month. Roll the taxes and down payment in and it would be $300/month.

You did, after all, get all the bells and whistles. How's the Bose?

Do you think I should go back and put more money down to get it the lease price advertised ($296/mo with $1,999 down)? I'm sure they'd take more cash (Ha) but would they modify the lease?

mattb said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Maybe not, there's truth in what TULeaf writes here:

TULeaf said:
You paid under $35k for a SL w/ premium that likely had a sticker over $37k. That's a decent deal.

You're monthly payment is so high because you put nothing down and rolled taxes into it. Even the base S model requires $2k down and prepayment of all taxes to get $199/month. Roll the taxes and down payment in and it would be $300/month.

You did, after all, get all the bells and whistles. How's the Bose?

Do you think I should go back and put more money down to get it the lease price advertised ($296/mo with $1,999 down)? I'm sure they'd take more cash (Ha) but would they modify the lease?

No. The lease cost so much money regardless of how it's paid. Higher down payment means lower monthly and vice versa. The money factor is so low on these that paying all up front doesn't save you very much.

It's all about marketing. $199/month is very attractive and gets people in the door. You'll see a $50k car offered at $399/month. Fine print states the bare bones model with $3500 down, 10k miles, over 39 months.

Look at it this way: if your car gets totaled in a crash, you'll have done much better than those of us who put more $$ down for low payments. That's because if you total a Nissan (leased) car, you get nothing back - no replacement car, no partial refund on the down payment, nothing from insurance. You're back to zero.

cossie1600 said:
The rav 4 ev is 450 a month and its a 50k car with nothing down

Not apples to apples to my above statement. It's not a $50k car because the taxpayers are paying $10k of it in California. And it's a compliance car only available in California sold in extremely small numbers. Toyota has no real interest in EV.

Did you talk to the dealer? what did they say?

May be you should just forward this thread to the sales guy..

We leased one of the early 2011 LEAFs brought into the country (#404). It was built in Opama, Japan. We put about $5,000 down with our trade-in plus cash and have a $356/mo. lease payment. We paid dearly but then we've had a couple of years of saving about $200/mo. on gas, oil changes, filters, etc. that we wouldn't have had if we had waited for them to be built in Smyrna, TN. Thus, I'd say you probably could have gotten a better deal, so just drive it more often to get your money back. ;)

I don't think you did too bad considering the deals available right now. It's not fair to compare with someone with a basic S. You're still getting $2500 back from California. Don't fret over it and enjoy your Leaf!

I think I paid too much, too, at Capitol City Nissan in Atlanta. You can see my actual lease here: http://lorenzoawallace.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-real-deal-my-actual-lease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan's brand loyalty is only exceeded by 6 auto brands, but 16 auto brands exceed it for holding its value. See this chart that appeared in the Wall Street Journal this year. http://lorenzoawallace.blogspot.com/2013/10/nissan-brand-loyalty-and-resale-value.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back