Just got my new Leaf today! Any tips on driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT02

I'm going to be pushing the limits on my 2015 S (charger upgraded) with an 80 mile round trip commute to work and back each day, almost all highway, in the Boston area.

My work has a charger in a parking garage I'll be using. The plan is to drive 40 miles, plug in all day (or half the day to allow others in), and recharge at home overnight. Does anyone else has a similar commute? One of my concerns is other cars blocking access to the work charger, forcing me to try and go round trip on one charge. I'm curious to know if I'd make it. Fortunately, there are 3 fast chargers right off the highway on the way home as well as a ton of level 2 stuff.

So far the car has been a joy to drive just around town. It's startling how quiet it is!

AndyGT02 said:
My work has a charger in a parking garage I'll be using. The plan is to drive 40 miles, plug in all day (or half the day to allow others in), and recharge at home overnight. Does anyone else has a similar commute? One of my concerns is other cars blocking access to the work charger, forcing me to try and go round trip on one charge. I'm curious to know if I'd make it. Fortunately, there are 3 fast chargers right off the highway on the way home as well as a ton of level 2 stuff.
The other folks who want to use the charger at work will likely be less than pleased. A half day on the charger won't work well if three people want to do it.

You can expect competition for the resource, unless it costs $$ to use it.

Keep in mind that slowing down is the most efficient way to get home if necessary. Driving 40MPH where possible wastes less time than stopping somewhere to charge, especially if it's 120 volt charging! As for work, if it's L-2 then 2-3 hours should be enough charge to get you home. Shame you got the S - you will miss the heat pump in Winter.

I didn't look much into the specs of the higher trims. How does the heat pump work?

For now, the charger is free. I know the garage has gotten some complaints about use. They're implementing a "4 hours only" rule soon, though how they enforce it remains to be seen.

I scoped out the charger a few times before buying, and each time there was at least one slot free. Sometimes two. Once I did see both occupied by plug in Priuses... I would hope they of all cars don't camp out for 8 hours there.

Not much point in going into it now, but the heatpump-equipped Leafs (SV and SL models) use the same type of heatpump used to heat and cool buildings in moderately cold weather: it moves heat from the outside air into the car, using substantially less power than does the resistance heater. There isn't a big difference in consumption below 12F or so, but at higher temps the heatpump extends the range noticeably. It also doubles as the A/C unit. Your S has a more efficient A/C system, anyway.

Thanks.

Has there been an experiments using 12v cabin heaters? Granted they're probably lousy compared to the climate controls but the power draw would be substantially less.

AndyGT02 said:
I'm going to be pushing the limits on my 2015 S (charger upgraded) with an 80 mile round trip commute to work and back each day, almost all highway, in the Boston area.

So far the car has been a joy to drive just around town. It's startling how quiet it is!
From another thread answering question similar to yours:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18612&start=20#p402191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
garymelora said:
Short answer: Forget it.

Longer answer: I drive from King of Prussia to Allentown every workday. This is a similar trip to the one you are proposing, and uses mostly the same roads. I can only do it if I stick to the rules:

1. No heat
2. Stay at 55 or under on the turnpike
3. 8 to 10 hours of level 1 charging at work

I get passed by hundreds of cars on the turnpike every day. I am sporting a large dent in my rear quarter panel thanks to a pickup truck driver that lacked the capacity to execute that maneuver successfully.

80 mile RT in winter with an S is really pushing it. You might do it with a new battery, but not so easy next winter. Although, batteries don't degrade as fast here as in hot climates. In heavy traffic you won't use as much power as your moving so slow, but in winter weather you'll use a good bit just running the defrost to see.

Suggest you get pro-active, make an effort to contact all the EV drivers using the work EVSE, maybe with flyers, and work out arrangements amongst yourselves. You're really going to need that thing. With more EVs now, maybe the garage would consider adding more stations? I'd say you need two hours minimum.

The 3 QCs on your route may not always work. Is this I-93? CommonWealth's QC is locked in after hours. Check the comments on PlugShare. You could always stop for supper at a place with L2.

I had my first 40 mile commute to work today. Ended up with just under 50% battery power remaining. Not bad since it was 14 degrees out. I didn't use the heat and drove in both eco and B mode just to be on the safe side, which gave it a nice boost since I got stuck in about 30 minutes of traffic on 93 south. I doubt I'd make it home on one charge. Hopefully I'll never have to.

There is a bank with 2 level 2s about a mile from where I work that only seem to be used at night - I'm going to stop by today and see if they'll let me plug in as a backup to the charging station at work (maybe if I'm nice and offer to open an account)!

AndyGT02 said:
Thanks.

Has there been an experiments using 12v cabin heaters? Granted they're probably lousy compared to the climate controls but the power draw would be substantially less.

I made a prototype battery-electric heater last Winter. (I wanted something that could be used without altering the leased car's wiring.) It was definitely better than nothing, but not nearly as powerful as the cabin heater. I used two 200 watt AC ceramic "personal heaters" and an 800 watt inverter, with a deep-cycle battery in a box. You could avoid the extra battery by wiring the inverter, via a fuse, directly to the 12 volt battery circuit. That would provide enough heat to warm either your feet or your face, but probably not both at once.

Might be easier to get a lap/leg blanket...

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12-Volt-Fleece-Heated-Blanket/dp/B0009Y2CFS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyGT02 said:

if you cannot charge while at work you will probably not make it home.

AndyGT02 said:
Thanks.

I don't know of experiments, but the heat output would also be substantially less.

Since a resistance heater puts out 3.41 BTU per watt-hour, whether it is a little 12 volt one, or a 3KW unit, the heat obtained per watt-hour is the same. The difference is that the little one puts it out so slowly that it will probably dissipate before getting the driver comfortable.

alanlarson said:
AndyGT02 said:
Thanks.

I don't know of experiments, but the heat output would also be substantially less.

Since a resistance heater puts out 3.41 BTU per watt-hour, whether it is a little 12 volt one, or a 3KW unit, the heat obtained per watt-hour is the same. The difference is that the little one puts it out so slowly that it will probably dissipate before getting the driver comfortable.

That's why I used 120 volt heaters and a relatively high amperage inverter. Search "Heater in a Box."

Thanks - definitely looks like some good options there. I got a 12v heater that does an alright job wedged under the driver seat towards my feet. Coupled with a fleece blanket it gets warm, hot even, but only on the back of my legs. The bigger issue today was with the windshield fogging up. My cabin heater is broken and wouldn't clear the fog even at full blast.

You don't need to charge long at work, maybe just an hour or less. Then you could run the heat and everything and make it just fine. I drive 55 miles RT with the heat on full blast. I left home this morning at 89 percent, and arrived back this afternoon at 16 percent. This tells me when my battery is 89 percent capacity, I'll still easily make it to work and back. I'm at 96 now... at 26,000 miles 18 months...If you are driving 80 miles , that's 25 more than me. You can add 25 miles in an hour of level 2 charging, so that would even things out so you could make the trip easily.

AndyGT02 said:

My drive is pretty similar to yours, I'm 90 miles round trip. I checked avg temp for Dec/Jan for Toronto and Boston and they are pretty much the same. I have a 2015 SV. Since I have the heat pump I never try to conserve heat but I don't crank it unless I get cold. I drive mostly highway. I do get 10hrs of L1 at work and in the warm weather that was getting me back above 95% pretty much every day no matter how I drive. The L1 charges slower when it's cold so I've got in the habit of stopping by the L3 on my way to work. The L1 I use is also for the snow plow block heaters so I may not always have it all winter.

In the warm weather round trip at regular speeds (below 60) and eco driving techniques I'll make it round trip without hitting VLBW. I'll hit the LBW but only because I climb an escarpment right before my house. If I was starting at the bottom and ending at the bottom I'd be doing about 80 miles and it would be easy.

My number 1 tip for you to improve miles/kWh would be tire PSI. Pump it to 48 cold for winter time on stock tires. Quoted tire pressure is always world wide all weather all within rated loads cold pressure. If 44's ok in death valley in the summer with 5 people and cargo you can easily do 48 winter Boston single occupant commute. Some tests have shown once you go over 50-55 LRR doesn't improve much but they feel harder.

Second would be to get some Michelin xice or Nokian Hakkapellitta R2s, they both handle 51psi max and are very good LRR not to mention they are routinely swapping spots for best winter tire in various 3rd party tests. You can probably pick up Xice in 205 55 16 ($125 new tire rack) or 205 60 16 ($108) used for a good deal. The taller 60 is only 0.2in more than the stock 17s. My cousin runs those on his leaf, no issues. The taller tire will give a small error in the speedo and miles/kWh but your real world distance driven will be further. Your actually ODO will become accurate as it is probably over reporting now.

3rd, light weight wheels. Tire rack doesn't list them but I emailed when I was looking the Kosei K4R 16x6.5 are 12.4lbs for $159 each. Tire rack said they fit the leaf but the centre cap doesn't. Search by a 2009 civic and they will show up. Advanti B1 lupo 50mm (shows if you search by leaf) is $114 at 15.6lbs. So for $888-$1136 plus shipping winter tires that will give you better range and if you plan on keeping your car more than 40,000 miles will save you buying at least 1 set of all seasons. The other economical advantage of winter tires, say it's Nov and your all seasons have less than 6/32 tread. Tire shops recommend replacing them. If you only use them for summer with 6/32 you can drive more than 1 full summer, maybe 2.

I have 205 65 15 Hakka R2s on 10.4lb wheels for my leaf and they help a lot. My wifes prius has 195 65 15 Xice2 on light gen II prius wheels. The summer wheels are forged lightweight (for factory 17s) gen III wheels. With mild fall temp the Xice2 will beat what the 17s get in hot summer, in moderate cold they will be the same as the 17s in the hot summer. Anything colder and the wife idles too much to tell. My cousins 205 60 16 Hakka R2s are getting in the late fall (don't know what he's getting now) the same as his heavy factory leaf SL 17s were giving him in the summer.

minispeed said:
AndyGT02 said:

My drive is pretty similar to yours, I'm 90 miles round trip. I checked avg temp for Dec/Jan for Toronto and Boston and they are pretty much the same. I have a 2015 SV. Since I have the heat pump I never try to conserve heat but I don't crank it unless I get cold. I drive mostly highway. I do get 10hrs of L1 at work and in the warm weather that was getting me back above 95% pretty much every day no matter how I drive. The L1 charges slower when it's cold so I've got in the habit of stopping by the L3 on my way to work. The L1 I use is also for the snow plow block heaters so I may not always have it all winter.

In the warm weather round trip at regular speeds (below 60) and eco driving techniques I'll make it round trip without hitting VLBW. I'll hit the LBW but only because I climb an escarpment right before my house. If I was starting at the bottom and ending at the bottom I'd be doing about 80 miles and it would be easy.

My number 1 tip for you to improve miles/kWh would be tire PSI. Pump it to 48 cold for winter time on stock tires. Quoted tire pressure is always world wide all weather all within rated loads cold pressure. If 44's ok in death valley in the summer with 5 people and cargo you can easily do 48 winter Boston single occupant commute. Some tests have shown once you go over 50-55 LRR doesn't improve much but they feel harder.

Second would be to get some Michelin xice or Nokian Hakkapellitta R2s, they both handle 51psi max and are very good LRR not to mention they are routinely swapping spots for best winter tire in various 3rd party tests. You can probably pick up Xice in 205 55 16 ($125 new tire rack) or 205 60 16 ($108) used for a good deal. The taller 60 is only 0.2in more than the stock 17s. My cousin runs those on his leaf, no issues. The taller tire will give a small error in the speedo and miles/kWh but your real world distance driven will be further. Your actually ODO will become accurate as it is probably over reporting now.

3rd, light weight wheels. Tire rack doesn't list them but I emailed when I was looking the Kosei K4R 16x6.5 are 12.4lbs for $159 each. Tire rack said they fit the leaf but the centre cap doesn't. Search by a 2009 civic and they will show up. Advanti B1 lupo 50mm (shows if you search by leaf) is $114 at 15.6lbs. So for $888-$1136 plus shipping winter tires that will give you better range and if you plan on keeping your car more than 40,000 miles will save you buying at least 1 set of all seasons. The other economical advantage of winter tires, say it's Nov and your all seasons have less than 6/32 tread. Tire shops recommend replacing them. If you only use them for summer with 6/32 you can drive more than 1 full summer, maybe 2.

I have 205 65 15 Hakka R2s on 10.4lb wheels for my leaf and they help a lot. My wifes prius has 195 65 15 Xice2 on light gen II prius wheels. The summer wheels are forged lightweight (for factory 17s) gen III wheels. With mild fall temp the Xice2 will beat what the 17s get in hot summer, in moderate cold they will be the same as the 17s in the hot summer. Anything colder and the wife idles too much to tell. My cousins 205 60 16 Hakka R2s are getting in the late fall (don't know what he's getting now) the same as his heavy factory leaf SL 17s were giving him in the summer.

Excellent info. Thank you! I've gotten over some of my range anxiety with work commute since it looks like more and more the two available chargers are always empty when I arrive at work. This week I'm going to try the round trip - first with a somewhat shorter, non-highway route that's 36 miles. It's about 20 minutes longer but I'll benefit from the slower speeds and the braking regen. My original commute is literally 39.5 miles highway with about half a mile of street.

Back