Joining the 80% Club

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:
Regular D mode or ECO mode?

D. I don't like the way ECO makes the car feel, and won't use it unless I absolutely have to.

Me neither, but at this stage, switching to ECO is the only way I can get the car to show 95miles or more availability, even on a 100% charge.

Since we don't know how far back the car goes in driving history to generate this number, I'm going to spend the next few days absolutely babying the energy usage to see if I can't get a 100% charge to show more miles. (my car came with 33 miles on, I don't know how many of those miles were hard-driving.) If not, I may need to have the car checked out.

Jimmydreams said:
Since we don't know how far back the car goes in driving history to generate this number, I'm going to spend the next few days absolutely babying the energy usage to see if I can't get a 100% charge to show more miles.
See what happens after a short (say 5 or 10 mile) slow trip in eco. Recharge after that and check.

I like ECO mode - the extra regen reminds me of using the engine to slow down on my manual transmission car.

On the other hand acceleration feels like molasses.

dhahn said:
I like ECO mode - the extra regen reminds me of using the engine to slow down on my manual transmission car.

COLD molasses.

Mixed with honey.

And tar.
:lol:

dhahn said:

I have thought about only using ECO on deceleration. I'll give that a try once I'm done with my 80% experiment. I've often wished that Nissan had given us an easier way to get in and out of ECO - a steering wheel mounted switch perhaps - using the shifter feels cumbersome.

Jimmydreams said:
dhahn said:

COLD molasses.

Mixed with honey.

And tar.
:lol:
Naaah ... you guys just need some foot strengthening exercise ... it'll feel easier after that.

What I'd really like to see is a "one foot" mode, where ECO will leave you alone in the acceleration department (if you ask for it, you got it), while also bringing fierce regen.

Then the brake pedal could be used for friction brakes only. You'd manage your speed entirely with the right foot in normal conditions. It would feel like a manual car with no clutch and massive engine drag. I could get used to that.

It will be interesting to see how your Monday commute turns out mwalsh. So if I understand this correctly, the top white bar on the "fuel guage" represents 24kWhs, and when the bottom two red bars disappear there are 4 kWhs left in the pack? If this is true, then charging to 80 percent (83%) may be the best way to go and then dip into one or two red bars on your way back home if needed. It seems that as long as you don't cut in too much into the 4kWh reserve that should be fine. But I always assumed that Nissan built a buffer in at the top and bottom of the battery pack, meaning that if all white bars are showing, the pack would be something like 90 percent charged (not 100 percent).

Frank said:
It will be interesting to see how your Monday commute turns out mwalsh. So if I understand this correctly, the top white bar on the "fuel guage" represents 24kWhs, and when the bottom two red bars disappear there are 4 kWhs left in the pack?

That is my understanding from reading the user manual and the viewing the link from ACE. I'm not expecting to see the "low battery" warning until both those red bars are gone. We'll see what happens. Not been this excited about going to work in a long time. :lol:

The "reserve" after both red bars are gone is described as "very little", NOT a "wopping big" 4 kWh (16 mile) reserve as some appear to have guessed.

I suspect that it could be less than 1 kWh in some "Banana Slug" mode before the car stops.

But, I do not know what Nissan's "very little" is actually meant to describe.

edit... confused and mixed up info used to be here. There's better info below.

Thanks for the sanity check, planet4ever!

Nice job AndyH. What is the book of MWI?

So it appears that when all 10 white segments are lit, the battery is at least 85% of capacity. Does this mean that the total pack capacity is 28.25 kWh (24kWh usable capacity divided by .85)? When the last red segment disappears, there is approx. 16% of capacity remaining (3.9 kWh).

But didn't someone post that when they charged to 80 percent on a timed charge, that the top two white segments were NOT lit, and that CARWINGS reported the charge level at 83%?

Frank said:
Nice job AndyH. What is the book of MWI?
Thanks. Just reading the manual. ;)

MWI is the "Meter, Warning Lamp and Indicator" chapter of "Section N: Driver Information & Multimedia" of the Service Manual.

Frank said:
So it appears that when all 10 white segments are lit, the battery is at least 85% of capacity (20.4 kWh). And when the last red segment disappears, there is approx. 16% of capacity remaining (3.9 kWh).

But didn't someone post that when they charged to 80 percent on a timed charge, that the top two white segments were NOT lit, and that CARWINGS reported the charge level at 83%?
And that makes good sense - please note there there are 12 segments, not 10. ;)

When segment '10' is lit, the battery state of charge is between 80% and 84%. Segment 11 doesn't come on until 88%. These bars are very coarse indicators of state of charge.

I look forward to either Nissan giving us a state of charge option on one of the infotainment screens, or until we get the state of charge code for the ScanGaugeII. I plan to use full capacity from time to time so knowing things to within a percent or two will be useful. ;)

edit...spelling

In other words, the bars have no strict relationship to SOC.

The 10th bar (third one down) will come on when the battery SOC crosses from 79% to 80% - but will turn off when the SOC crosses from 85% to 84%. So the meaning of the bars is relative to the direction.

That's kinda like answering "Is the glass half empty or half full?" by saying it's half full if it was being filled, and half empty if it was being drank out of. *headache*
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
In other words, the bars have no strict relationship to SOC.

The 10th bar (third one down) will come on when the battery SOC crosses from 79% to 80% - but will turn off when the SOC crosses from 85% to 84%. So the meaning of the bars is relative to the direction.

That's kinda like answering "Is the glass half empty or half full?" by saying it's half full if it was being filled, and half empty if it was being drank out of. *headache*
=Smidge=
I thought this was a typical way to engineer indicator lights to avoid flickering back and forth when close to between the levels.

AndyH said:
Cross-checking with the Owners Manual, it appears that the 'battery low' warning light activates when the pack reaches 4kWh remaining
Agreed.

AndyH said:
and that's the power reduction threshold.
Huh? No way! Power reduction is when the turtle light comes on, formally known as the 'power limitation indicator light'. That's a completely different light from 'battery low warning light'.

AndyH said:
It also appears that's when the last bar goes dark - 16.25% remaining from a 24kWh hour pack is 3.9kWh.
Umm ... Andy, you were looking at the wrong table. 16.25 is in the Capacity table, not the Available Charge table. If I am reading the table correctly, the last red bar turns off when the available charge drops to 4%, i.e. about 1 kWh left.

If the bateries have the 8 year warranty do I want to baby them or do I want to use them full charges. If they are going to stop taking charge don't I want that to happen before rather than after the 8 years?

i am actually going to "create" a 90% club. it will be my goal to determine how long i need to charge for the "long commute" days to have 90% charge.

the RT mileage will only be just over 60 miles, but the person driving is very ummm...."temperature sensitive" so climate control range penalties will be a factor.

for the short days, 80% will be more than enough since RT figures looks to be 20-30 miles if side trips are involved.

Back