J1772 to CHAdeMo black box

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ishiyakazuo said:
To be honest, the most comfortable car I've been in is a Smart fortwo, but there's no way I'll be buying one of those death traps.

Funny you say that.... we have one at work. I drive it all the time. Everyone hates it, people laugh at me getting out, some cell phone pics. It's got the largest door opening of all the cars we have since the B pillar curves and isn't in front of your shoulder. The front of the door also opens pretty far out and good for the legs.

Just the other day I was getting out of a van we have and I got stuck cause I didn't slide before I turned. Crown vics and impallas are pretty bad too with a trick to getting out.

The smart is also the only car with heated seats! The transmission is why I would tell no one to ever buy it. The only reason to buy one is because you don't have any space to park anything else. I can't imagine anyone thought it was ok to build it. I hear the electric is really a nice drive.

As far as safety goes it's a trade off, they do really well in certain tests, ya if you hit a semi you're dead but you are in everything else. Trade off is in single vehicle and side impacts. You've got less weight behind you to stop and if you're car is half as long you're less likely to get hit by someone else.

minispeed said:
As far as safety goes it's a trade off, they do really well in certain tests, ya if you hit a semi you're dead but you are in everything else. Trade off is in single vehicle and side impacts. You've got less weight behind you to stop and if you're car is half as long you're less likely to get hit by someone else.
Not sure that last point is true -- just because the car is shorter, it doesn't mean that people aren't driving just as close to you as they would be in any other car... (in fact, the person driving that same distance behind you would be CLOSER to the driver...)

ishiyakazuo said:
minispeed said:
Not sure that last point is true -- just because the car is shorter, it doesn't mean that people aren't driving just as close to you as they would be in any other car... (in fact, the person driving that same distance behind you would be CLOSER to the driver...)

I was referring to a T bone crash, ie someone runs a red not paying attention you don't see them so you don't move. It's one of the most dangerous types of crashes since pretty much all cars have the same protection available, a single door that has to open to let you in. If the driver of the other car happens to pass by your car at a point that is 4 feet behind you in a large car that's a crash in a smart car it's a damn close miss.

Back