It does not start

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhommen

I have a Nissan Leaf Tekna 2014. Today when I was going to start my car I could not open the door with my FOB. There were some slight light flickering as I locked/unlocked my car, but nothing else. So I used the manual key and got inside. When I pressed the start button every single light in the dashboard lit up, and it started beeping. "Key not detected" and "Low engine power" it said in the display. So I swapped battery, in both my FOB and it did nothing. I can open the charging hatch and put in the charger. The symbol lights up in the display, but the charger itself only stays on "Ready" and not "Charging". Does anyone know what might be wrong? Could it be an ECU that is defect?

I suspect it's the 12 V battery under the bonnet.

If you have an external battery charger, you can try giving it a proper charge. You can try connecting jumper cables between it and another vehicle (be careful not to mix polarity) and see how the LEAF behaves. If the 12 V battery doesn't hold a charge, it likely needs to be replaced.

Almost 100% guaranteed that your 12v battery voltage is too low.

If it's the original 12v battery, then it's time for a new one (type/group 51R).

The LEAF doesn't have an alternator, it has a DC to DC converter and it doesn't do a great job of the initial charge...

So, make sure you either ask the retailer to fully charge the 12v battery before you buy it, or if you have a 12v charger at home, charge it yourself.

Back