Is trickle charger weather proof?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjenn

We've never used it and were just wondering if the trickle charger is weather proof? We know you're supposed to be able to install most of the Level 2 charging stations outside, so they must be weather proof, but we've never heard about the trickle charger.

We're planning to retire and move to our beach condo in a few years (yes, it's a rough life!). We don't think we'll be able to install a Level 2 charger there but there is 110 available so we could trickle charge. We're just wondering if it will be safe to use outside.

Thanks!

It's safe to use outside. I used it outdoors in the snow (in Upstate NY) until I got my level 2 charge station. I had the same concern as you when I first got the car. There are a number of threads on the issue that put my mind at ease. Make sure you have a cover for the outlet that allows you to cover the plug while in use (you need a big one because the plug is quite big), and I wouldn't suggest keeping the thing in a puddle, but it's designed to be exposed to the elements, and I would just leave it plugged in most of the time if you're not concerned with someone walking off with it (to reduce wear on the plug). I hung the cord on the side of my house to keep it off the ground and out of the snow as much as possible-- I have a feeling you won't have to deal with snow at your beach house, though. A small garden hose hanger works well.

Back