Is this normal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowspeed

When i come to a stop the brakes engage. and then when I want to start driving there's like a second delay till they disengage.

I noticed it doesn't happen in downhill.

Should this happen only in an uphill situation ? It happens on flat roads.

Thanks!

I think what your noticing is when you depress the brake far enough the motor "turn off" of goes in to neutral and awaits the next command. When you release the brake it starts up again. If you don't depress the brakes as much it wont do that, but then also is slightly powering the motor simulating "creep", found in automatic ICE vehicles.

No that's not it. I'm talking about the car actively pressing the brake. When at a stop. If I let go of the brake it takes a second or 2 for it to release.

Ahhh, sorry. Mine doesn't do that for sure, it pops up pretty quick. Does it come back up slowly? I would take it in to get it looked at.

I believe that is "hill start assist". Primarily prevents the car from rolling backwards when transitioning from brake pedal to accelerator after a stop. If there is the slightest incline, that could be activating...

You may be noticing hill start assistance http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/hsa.html
"When a driver changes pedals from the brake to the accelerator in order to start the car on a slope, the system maintains the brake pressure for a maximum of two seconds after the driver’s foot has left the brake pedal. By keeping the car at a standstill even when not pressing down on the brake, the system helps to prevent against rolling backwards when starting off on a slope."

lowspeed said:
So the fact that it does it not on a slope means the angle sensor is bad?
Does it have an angle or grade sensor?

I agree it should have one and that if it did both creep and hill hold could be done more safely and correctly.

But I have not seen any posts or manuals confirming the vehicle has a grade sensor, although possible it does.

TimLee said:
lowspeed said:
So the fact that it does it not on a slope means the angle sensor is bad?
Does it have an angle or grade sensor?

I agree it should have one and that if it did both creep and hill hold could be done more safely and correctly.

But I have not seen any posts or manuals confirming the vehicle has a grade sensor, although possible it does.

Well i took it in and they said something is wrong but they don't know what. So they are talking to nissan.

this is the part:
http://nissan.findlayauto.com/p/Nissan__Leaf/G-SENSOR-Gravity-sensor-Suspension-Yaw-Sensor/49592500/47930JG200.html

Bob said:
> Well i took it in and they said something is wrong but they don't know what.

Sigh. That's normal. :-(

Bob

They actually did figure it out I posted the part in previous post.

The sad news is they didn't have the part and they didn't have a loaner for me.

Answering your question Tim, the car has at least one sensor for each of all three axes, Yaw, Pitch, and Roll. Generically, they are called G sensors, and some might be specifically called that in the scan tool data. It is a feature of most VSC systems and they need all this information in order to process what is happening to the car. If your car starts rotating, like in a skid, it is likely the brakes will apply to try to straighten it out (even if you are NOT braking). It is very hard to know how the manufacturers implement this technology without going to test track. I read at least one report here of a Leaf going to a skidding stop with NO driver input, because a G sensor failed.

This thread is getting a bit random, I wish there was a way to separate the known brake issues into separate topics.

2011 and 2012 Leafs (Japanese built) have the same brakes and the same issues. 2013 and newer (American built) Leafs are completely different. I don't know about other countries, just the USA.

FIRST PROBLEM: Japanese versions had issues with low speed erratic behavior that was solved by a software upgrade by mid 2012.

SECOND PROBLEM: Japanese built Leafs will come to a complete stop if you step on the brake abruptly.
It scared the ------ out of me when I discovered my 2012 would do it, so I started a thread, now old, discussing it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14723

I feel this behavior is completely unacceptable and unsafe, but Nissan designed it that way and is sticking to it. I had it to the dealer several times, reported it to NHTSA and worked with Nissan to solve it. All to no avail

I had to train myself to get into the accelerator pedal after a "panic" stop. It is not natural or normal to do that in a 'wait and see where the cars are going to end up' situation, but YOU HAVE TO DO IT with a '11 or'12 Leaf. Otherwise you will get rear ended, as has happened to many Leaf owners.

THIRD PROBLEM: All Leafs are vulnerable to odd behaviour due to flaky 12 volt batteries. It would seem that it is more of an issue with the American built cars, but that is just my casual observation from reading this forum. 12 v batteries are very troublesome on hybrids and electrics because the driver/owners don't think they are bad because the car still "starts". Instead the car is booting up with software getting corrupted and learned data getting lost. This makes them very unpredictable and can cause lots of codes and other odd issues. Most 12 volt batteries are cheaper than a visit to the repair shop.

EVOldtimer said:
... FIRST PROBLEM: Japanese versions had issues with low speed erratic behavior that was solved by a software upgrade by mid 2012.
If you are referring to the grabby brakes issue, that has been an issue on more than 2011 and 2012.
Have been software changes.
But on 2011 / 2012 most people don't think it really fixed the problem.

One person did report a component replacement did eliminate their grabby brakes issue.

I have just kind of learned to live with it on my 2011.

Mainly a problem if you get stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic jam.

Have to learn to get totally off the brakes to avoid the grabby brakes.

The OPs post was more of a unique problem with bad $500 :eek: yaw sensor.
But as you noted bad sensors have also been reported to cause serious loss of steering control issues.

Back