Is this a problem? Unlocking charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

When stopping charging with our 2018 Leaf using the key fob (hold the button) the EVSE nozzle unlocks and the three lights on the dash go out. On our 2023 the EVSE nozzle unlocks and the three lights blink off and come back on. Is this a problem?

Toby said:
When stopping charging with our 2018 Leaf using the key fob (hold the button) the EVSE nozzle unlocks and the three lights on the dash go out. On our 2023 the EVSE nozzle unlocks and the three lights blink off and come back on. Is this a problem?

You are using the key fob to "stop" charging? I've got both a 2018 and 2020, neither which has a feature like that unless it is new for the 2023 models?

Ok, just tried it out on both of ours because I thought maybe it was a hidden feature I have missed all these years, but unfortunately, it just beeps and unlocks the flap like before and doesn't stop charging.

knightmb said:
Ok, just tried it out on both of ours because I thought maybe it was a hidden feature I have missed all these years, but unfortunately, it just beeps and unlocks the flap like before and doesn't stop charging.

Our 2018 stopped charging when the key fob button was pressed and held. Next time I'll try holding the button with one hand while removing the nozzle with the other.

Is there a better way to halt charging?

I always just press the release on the EVSE connector and unplug. The car stops drawing current on L1 or L2 as soon as the release lever on the EVSE connector is pressed (faster than you can unplug). The CHAdeMO connector is locked to the car with secure internal latches until DC charging is stopped by using the controls on the charger or the app and the charger has ramped current down to zero.

GerryAZ, thank you for that. I'll try this when I get a chance. My concern is with at home charging off the Nissan EVSE. The fast chargers have a STOP button. Anyway, I probably am doing it right as I think I have to press the release in order to unplug.

It's totally safe to unplug the J1772 handle while L2 charging, as the proximity pilot has a resistor based logic that senses when the button is pressed and it cuts the current flow accordingly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEU7blg8JE&t=8m28s

Obviously, you want to be sure to depress the button on the handle, rather than just yanking on it - but that's pretty intuitive, one would hope :)

knightmb said:

So how do you stop charging? It's not always convenient to let it keep charging until timeout. How do you interrupt the level 2 charging?

Edited to add. Oh oh! The the HOLD button on the intelligent key fob is only to open the lid. I really spent three years with out 2018 using the HOLD button to stop charging and it did. I assumed it would do the same on the 2023 but apparently it doesn't. So, my question stands, how do you interrupt the level 2 charging?

How do you interrupt the level 2 charging?

As noted, you squeeze the release on the charging plug and pull it out. Charging ends before the plug leaves the port. It does seem like Nissan should have, at SOME point, implemented a "stop charge" command, but they never have.

LeftieBiker said:
As noted, you squeeze the release on the charging plug and pull it out. Charging ends before the plug leaves the port. It does seem like Nissan should have, at SOME point, implemented a "stop charge" command, but they never have.

Got it! You guys are right. There is a switch inside the charging nozzle.
I never knew it was there. Holding the nozzle to my ear and slowly squeezing the release I can hear the switch actuate.

Thanks all of you for your help.

You're welcome. There is also a backup in the J-1772 design: even if the pilot signal isn't switched off, the pilot signal pin in the plug is a bit shorter than the charging current pins. This means that charging can't start until the charging plug is inserted almost all of the way into the port, and that charging stops when the plug is only partially removed.

I'm asking a couple of questions for someone else (I can't test myself).

Is the default setting for locking the connector AUTO or UNLOCK?
And how do you unlock on AUTO before charging is complete?

AUTO setting
  • locks until charging is complete
  • Nissan video doesn't state how to stop charging or unlock early
LOCK setting
  • always locked
  • to unlock press charge lid button on fob
  • or, to unlock press charge lid button in car
  • or, to unlock change setting to UNLOCK

Recently the Charge Timer was tested but then deactivated and the timer settings set back to defaults. But now whenever the car is turned off the Charging time / Charge Now screen displays for a few seconds. Apparently this screen never used to display on shutdown. Can this be reset?

I never use the connector lock function, but I think you can unlock it when in AUTO by pressing the charge port door button (either key fob or dash). The estimated charge time screen is displayed every time I turn my car off for a few seconds. It may have first appeared after I set up the charge timers, but it appears now even when charge timers are completely disabled. Disconnecting the 12V battery for a while will reset the dash and navigation screen menus to default so you could try that if you really want to eliminate that brief charge time display.

Thanks for the info. Not sure why the Charge Timer screen displaying for a couple of seconds is a bother. But they claim it only appeared after adjusting the timer settings.

Back