Is the evse upgrade ul approved ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not trying to piss people off. You're getting upset because of what's being spoke of?

Im sure his company is incorporated and will have not a care in the world if court comes a knockin .

It seems many of you don't understand how house fires occur.

trentr said:
You should buy this product instead:

http://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-residential.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

Funny stuff. Yep, that one is in fact UL listed, and I absolutely encourage a fire safety conscience fellow like our OP to buy this one.

I even used a UL listed Blink; here's a picture:

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
bigt said:
remove the troll because i speak the truth.

If the public doesn't understand that the evseupgrade nul and voids the 5 million dollar insurance policy that ul provides then maybe they should be..

What makes me a troll? tell me please

Because you're not only wrong, where was i wrong? do tell

but you're persistently posting the same garbage over and over looking for a response. That's the very definition of an internet troll.

Garbage is asking a question in a forum that is not able to show my answer by search.
I wouldn't have posted here if it was spoke about beforehand
We already know that the modified EVSE is not a UL listed product. Neither is the LEAF.
The leaf doesn't need to be ul but the part that plugs into your wall does,

Or my modified Clipper Creek charging station charging my car right now. Or the OPENevse that I built. Or a whole host of other products that are in your and my house.

And you have made the conscience effort to buy and modify everything in your house..

how about when you buy it that way.

You've made your case, we can all read it, so hopefully this will get locked up soon.
Why do you think im trying to make a case.. I was asking a question about a charger in a forum and got a bunch of people defending there beloved changer modifier leader

TonyWilliams said:
trentr said:
You should buy this product instead:

http://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-residential.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

Funny stuff. Yep, that one is in fact UL listed, and I absolutely encourage a fire safety conscience fellow like our OP to buy this one.

thats my point.. see how this melted and it was designed properly right, and if your implying I buy a charger that intention may start a fire then maybe you should watch your back and never show yourself to me. Ill gladly dispose of your great humor.

I even used a UL listed Blink; here's a picture:

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

bigt said:
all you people who think that someone can open a manufactured product and modify outside of its intended manufacturing specs and are free from getting all the money in their bank account sued from them are drinking the punch.. Without going into the boring details why don't you mention you have a modified charger connected to your home without proper certs to say the fire marshal at your company I know that my fire marshal inspects everything when my office gets its turn or maybe your hoa im sure they will have no problem.

If you think someone can manufacture a product and have it tested by UL are "free from getting all the money in their bank account sued from them are drinking the punch".

I'm not sure that the fire marshall at my company would care much about the appliances that I'm using in my house. I don't live in a HOA but if I did and they wanted to have any say over which products I could use I don't think I would live there for very much longer.

For me personally I'm very grateful that Phil is willing to take the risk of litigation to support the LEAF and EV community with such a valuable service.

bigt said:
I didn't gain anything but a bunch of internet bs from this and if you google do i need ul certification to sell to walmart you'll see that the biggest box store does... Why don't you research before being how you are. I did.
I can guarantee that Walmart does not require UL certification on the products it sells. Don't believe everything you read on the internet if you read that.

bigt said:
I've not posted here to start a war.. So How this started was

I did ask my wife if i could buy the evse upgrade and she said ask the contractor who isn't gaining anything either and after his option my wife asked is it really worth the lives of our children and our pets for $700 dollar savings. Maybe your beloved chargers work great now but how about 10 years from now.

As others have said, if you are not comfortable buying a product that is not UL tested you should run away from EVSE Upgrade. You should also probably go through all the appliances in your house and give all the ones which do not have UL holograms on them to the GoodWill.

I think you are also ignoring what motivates Phil and what motivates corporations. We as consumers demand cheap prices so manufacturers straddle a fine line between burning down houses from cheap products and making a well designed product that costs more than we want to pay. Phil would not be doing these upgrades if he was making trade offs to keep costs down. He's not going to sell enough of them that if one house burns down he'll be able to survive. But if you are manufacturing something for Walmart you'll sell millions and only a few houses will burn down because you used 18 gauge wire when 16 gauge would have been better designed.

bigt said:
Also as many of you may or may not know the extra hot line in the mod causes heat and heat causes resistance as well as electrical failures including melting plastic that in turn causes fires.
I wonder how the modded evse holds out to the 20 amp draw for the maximum time . Im sure its fine.
Is that actually true? Doesn't the neutral in a 120 volt circuit carry the same amount of current as the energized conductor?\

The heat is clearly fine or else Phil would not being doing the upgrade and I trust that he has the skills to properly test and design this upgrade.

bigt said:
Just like how you must remove insulation from romex before putting into conduit.. that extra bit of covering causes enough heat with a big draw to cause a fire..
That's not actually true at all. In fact AFAIK that would actually be against code. AFAIK the wire inside romex is not rated to be bare inside a conduit. It's perfectly acceptable to run romex with it's outer sheath in conduit when this conduit is being used to add additional protection.
bigt said:
My dyson cord at the plug dam near gets hot enough to melt the copper when going into overtime.
That is certainly not true since the plastic would melt well before 1984.32 °F, the melting point of copper.

bigt said:
It seems many of you don't understand how house fires occur.

I actually would like to hear the scenario where you think the EVSE catches your house on fire.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garden/cleaning/top-10-causes-house-fires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I noticed that none of the reasons was from the use of non-UL listed appliances.

The reason you are a troll is you immediately got an answer to your question, your OP contained false information, and now you continue to spew false information with no other apparent purpose other than to inflame.

your right quennbee on almost everything except walmart.. ill go there tomorrow and let you know what i fine thats able to be plugged in to 110 thats not uled.. ok.. And everything in my house is.. i have been looking for almost a hour... i ment the copper gets loose and wiggles on the dyson cord plug. If you find one thing walmart sells in store thats not uled please lmk id love to see how it got there.

fyi I use to manufacture a product called a thermal bar code print head and sell them directly to walmart and usps and a whole lot of other companies including airlines but they were 12 volt dc and didn't need ul but my insurance bond did state i did oem them directly and sold the without ul , I made my own clone thermal print head from a company I co owned in china all prior to 9-11 and have been retired because of the event.

So all that was asked was if it was uled and now after this i wish i hadn't

and where on my op did i lie about anything? Ill ask my homeowners insurance if they would inspect a device that may have caused a fire after the fact especially if it was modified by a third party for profit.

Its amazing how mad a few of you are... do you really think id gain anything from this banter .

If the evseupgrade was a real legal modification it would carry a recertification from all the certs.

Maybe a lawyer would like to solidify my statement

QueenBee said:
I actually would like to hear the scenario where you think the EVSE catches your house on fire.
I've seen numerous pictures on various EV websites showing outlets and/or EVSE plugs that were clearly discolored/melted due to excessive heat. Hope you're not discounting this as a completely impossible scenario.

bigt said:
your right quennbee on almost everything except walmart.. ill go there tomorrow and let you know what i fine thats able to be plugged in to 110 thats not uled.. ok.. And everything in my house is.. i have been looking for almost a hour... i ment the copper gets loose and wiggles on the dyson cord plug. If you find one thing walmart sells in store thats not uled please lmk id love to see how it got there.
Here is one thing that Walmart sells that is not UL listed:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/B-Air-Blower-Cub-CP-1-ETL-Certified-Mini-Air-Mover-Blower-and-Dryer-in-Green/15758466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigt said:

No, that is not what happened. You asked if it was UL certified and then tried to spread FUD saying that if it was not UL certified home owners insurance would not cover a fire. Then when I gave you a very polite and accurate answer you continued to spread FUD and have stated many things that are in fact not factual at all.

bigt said:
and where on my op did i lie about anything? Ill ask my homeowners insurance if they would inspect a device that may have caused a fire after the fact especially if it was modified by a third party for profit.
You probably shouldn't since you would just be wasting their time because you should not buy this product. It's clearly not for you. As others have stated the Blink is the unit you want. It's much higher quality because it is UL listed.

The "lie" you said in your OP was that homeowners insurance excludes fires caused by non-UL list devices, this is completely false.

bigt said:
If the evseupgrade was a real legal modification it would carry a recertification from all the certs.
What is wrong with you? Do you not understand the simple fact that the EVSE Upgrade is a "real" modification and that no laws are being broken??

Sorry I keep feeding the troll; I'm just not used to trolls that are able to continuously spout things which are not true.

ITestStuff said:
QueenBee said:
I've seen numerous pictures on various EV websites showing outlets and/or EVSE plugs that were clearly discolored/melted due to excessive heat. Hope you're not discounting this as a completely impossible scenario.

Certainly happens, but what I'm curious about is how it goes from that to a house fire. I guess it would help if I had a better understanding of the temperatures required to catch household items like carpet, rugs, drapes, fabrics, drywall, wood, etc. on fire.

bigt said:
thats my point.. see how this melted and it was designed properly right, and if your implying I buy a charger that intention may start a fire then maybe you should watch your back and never show yourself to me. Ill gladly dispose of your great humor.

Dear Mr. Troll,

That part in the above picture was in my house when it burnt. My daughter's room is directly above the car this was attached to. I don't think fire is a game, or a joke, or humor.

It was not designed properly, or it would not have failed. But, it is absolutely UL listed.

Yes, I am suggesting that YOU buy this charger to make sure you have the proper UL listed that you think is uber important, and have told us many times. It obviously won't burn for you, since it's UL listed.

:roll:

davewill said:
bigt said:
i understand, so anyone without any certification and or legal electrical ...
I suggest you NOT buy one. Problem solved.
Ditto. From Phil posts (Ingineer's here and as pEEf on Priuschat) and the work he's done along what I've seen him say and do convinces me that he's at least a competent EE, if not an excellent one.

FWIW, AFAIK the L1 EVSE that ships w/the Chevy Volt is not UL listed (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=202427#p202427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

If someone is curious about UL, there was an ep of "How Do They Do It?" on UL. I briefly posted about it at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9254084#post9254084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied customers of his. I really wonder what the OP's motives are. He sure smells like a troll.

QueenBee said:
Certainly happens, but what I'm curious about is how it goes from that to a house fire. I guess it would help if I had a better understanding of the temperatures required to catch household items like carpet, rugs, drapes, fabrics, drywall, wood, etc. on fire.
Great question, dunno the answer.

If I recall correctly, the concern people seem to have is that the fire could start somewhere in the wall, and not necessarily be visible at the source of the problem.

Here's an example of a thread with some interesting pics - http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?23521-Sickening-fumes-when-charging&highlight=charge+smell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^^
On that note, a Plug-in Prius owner had an outlet fire that I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10887&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. He was using his UL-listed L1 Toyota-supplied EVSE, but with an extension cord and aluminum wiring in his house (http://priuschat.com/threads/need-advice-outlet-caught-fire.118751/page-2#post-1696803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

bigt said:

You did MORE than just ask about whether the EVSEUpgrade was UL certified. When told it wasn't, not only did you make statements about how insurance may not cover you for a fire caused by a non-UL certified appliance, but you also said this:

i understand, so anyone without any certification and or legal electrical license can open and modify electrical equipment and sell it openly to the public without liabilities.

And if insulting the qualifications and talent of a well-respected member of this forum wasn't bad enough, you add:

I hope he doesn't keep his money in his company bank account when the attorneys come.

and

Maybe a lawyer would like to solidify my statement.

Let's assume for a minute that you are correct and that this weekend, every EVSEUpgrade-modified charging brick were to suddenly and simultaneously catch fire and cause all sorts of death and destruction. Why would you care if Phil were to get sued? Don't you think that, as a business owner, that perhaps he's already thought of this? And perhaps insured himself against it?

For the record, I am not an EVSEUpgrade customer, in fact I am still relying primarily on L1 charging. So I am not doing this to defend my purchase of a "non-certified" device.

bigt said:
Was a thermal camera picture before and after mods shown to show heat increase or not. I thought all products that are sold need ul approval that are over 36 volt
I don't know about a before, but there is an after at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As for your claims about UL approval being "needed", as I mentioned before, the L1 EVSE that ships w/that GM ships w/Chevy Volt apparently isn't (wasn't?). Besides the fake you mentioned, there are plenty of products being sold in the US w/counterfeit UL labels.

I too don't have anything from evseupgrade.com and don't even have a Leaf yet. But, if I wanted to upgrade a stock L1 EVSE, from everything I've seen so far (online, my personal interactions w/him, seeing his work in person, seeing him speak), I'd be going to him.

bigt said:
remove the troll because i speak the truth.

If the public doesn't understand that the evseupgrade nul and voids the 5 million dollar insurance policy that ul provides then maybe they should be..

What makes me a troll? tell me please
When you find yourself in a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back