is price different with every dealer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamom3

We reserved Leaf when it all started, but after few hiccups with dealer and misunderstandings (we thought we completed the order and the dealer said yes) later to find out that we haven't completed it. After long waiting, we are getting the car in two weeks.

My questions are:

1. Does it make a difference in price with a different dealer, is the MSRP price shown on leaf website with the options we picked is the price we pay or can dealer markup the price?

2. Do we get CA rebate right away from the dealer or do we apply to the state and we get approved? what is the process?

3. Do we have choice on picking the installer for the charging station? We had the assessment done but have not installed charging station.

Thanks

bamom3 said:
We reserved Leaf when it all started, but after few hiccups with dealer and misunderstandings (we thought we completed the order and the dealer said yes) later to find out that we haven't completed it. After long waiting, we are getting the car in two weeks.

My questions are:

Thanks

1. I'll answer this generically for others who may be reading. You should negotiate the price well in advance of placing your order (RAQ) with the dealer. Some dealers have been reliably reported here to discount the price by $1,000 all the way to 5% off the entire price of the car with options. I got $1,000 discount from Connell in Costa Mesa (no guarantees that they still offer this, but I'd try if you're local). Fontana has been doing $1,000 discounts for all comers. Check this thread for discounting dealers: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=445&hilit=dealers+willing+to+discount+below+MSRP People here can guide you to a dealer who will discount. Important! To avoid misunderstandings and overcharging, you must negotiate your deal ahead of time in writing with the dealer and then select the dealer on the Nissan website. If you don't like the deal, go to another dealer and select them on the Nissan web site before your RAQ date.
Since you say your car is coming in two weeks, you've probably already done your RAQ (Request a Quote) with your dealer, and then you are locked in to that dealer. After the RAQ, your dealer is locked in to the price you agreed on at the time of RAQ. But they can still mess with your interest rate on your loan or the money factor or down payment on your lease, so be careful that they are abiding by the agreed payments if you are not buying outright.

2. The CA rebate is between you and California, and it's handled between you and the CCSE (Calif Center for Sustainable Energy in San Diego). Here's their web site: https://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project Be sure to get a clearly signed copy of your lease or sale agreement, your DMV form (a copy of the one that the dealer sticks to the inside of your windshield), a filled out copy of the form on the CCSE web site, and a copy of a utility bill to prove your residence in CA. Apply for your rebate immediately online at the CCSE web site to reserve your rebate funds on the day you pick up your car as soon as you sign the papers and you have your VIN #.

3. Any electrician can install a charging station. A good first choice is to have your Nissan included standard charging cable (EVSE) upgraded to full Level 2 (240 Volt) by this company http://evseupgrade.com/?xx , run by one of our forum members http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3981 for under $400 including shipping. Then you can plug it in to a 240 Volt outlet in your garage, if you have one. A permanently installed EVSE will run you $700 to over $1,000 to buy and additional money for an electrician to install it.

unfortunately, we haven't talked to the dealer prior to picking them as a dealer. I was under the impression that the price is set by nissan as we are purchasing directly from nissan and it is just delivered by the dealer we chose. We have chosen the dealer that is close to us. Now I have a feeling they are going to mess around with the price.

This is what it says on the Nissan website. I am not very happy with how the dealer response has been so far so I have a strong feeling they are going to try to swindle us by adding more cost. Can I change the dealer at this point if I shop around.

I should have done more research before, like I said I thought we all will be paying the same price as Nissan is selling from reserved list other than state mandatory taxes being different.

I'm pleased to offer your Nissan LEAF, to be financed, at the price outlined below.

$35,300 transaction price

this price includes:
Nissan LEAF™ SL trim
glacier pearl
option added:
quick charge port
accessories added:
floor and cargo mats
organization package
eco-design package
protection package
Cost of the home installation dock, processing fees, tax title license, destination & handling charges are not included. The value of any trade-ins will be determined and applied at a later date.

Bamom,
Yes, pricing can be different with every dealer. That is true with the Leaf, as well as most any other model of car that is sold, although many dealers try to sell for roughly MSRP...One statement you made is that the price was set by Nissan and you're purchasing directly from Nissan. In reality, Nissan sets the MSRP prices, and then the buyer actually negotiates with the dealer on the final price (which is memorialized by the Nissan website / Request A Quote system). It is actually against federal law for Nissan to sell the cars, so they go through a dealer for the actual sale.

I added up the prices for all of the options you listed for your Leaf, and it looks like the dealer quoted you straight MSRP. So the good news is that they didn't add on any fees above and beyond that. It's too late to change the price now or to switch to another dealer. There are several dealers that are offering discounts off of MSRP, but there are also dealers charging higher than MSRP. So you could have done better or worse, but landed right in the middle...

Here is a paragraph that outlines the retail prices charged for the car along with the options and accessories, as well as what the dealer pays for them from Nissan so you can see what makes up the price...The destination fee is a flat $850 (was $820) and that is to transport the car from Japan to your dealer here in the US. I've not heard of anyone negotiating that downward...

Retail and Invoice Pricing on Leafs, Accessories and Options:
(Dealer Invoice prices are in parenthesis)...

2011 Leaf SL $33,720 ($32,293)
2011 Leaf SV $32,780 ($31,393)
DC Fast Charge Port $700 ($607)

L92 Floor Mats & Cargo Mat Area $170 ($131)
B92 Splash Guards $140 ($110)
M94 Recycling/Organizational Package $225 ($178)
M92 Cargo Cover $290 ($219)
M93 Cargo Net $20 ($15) (Not available with M94 Recycling/Organizational Package)
N92 Hologram Kick Plates $125 ($99) (Not available with B93 Eco Design Package)
B93 Eco Design Package $260 ($219) (Not available with N92 Hologram Kick Plates)
B94 Protection Package $225 ($183)
S92 Safety Kit $75 ($63)

I hope this helps you out...

Randy

Most people, when they were finally allowed to Order by Nissan (not a dealer), went through the on-line Request-A-Quote (RAQ), Accept/Reject, and Order Process.

1. The first step was to (with forethought) to choose a Preferred Dealer (PD).
2. RAQ from that dealer
3. Reject their offer and try again, or change PD and RAQ there.
4. Accept a Quote, which becomes your Order WITH THAT DEALER.
5. wait until Nissan delivers to THAT dealer
6. buy from THAT dealer, not Nissan.

If you did not choose a PD and RAQ online, and then accept online, ... it is not clear exactly what your dealer has done on your behalf.

Written or email copy of the agreed-upon "deal" would be important for fixing the price. If you only have "we will order a LEAF for you" ... then it is up to you and the dealer to negotiate, and best to do this now, before Nissan sends the car to the dealer.

Your only apparent leverage is to cancel "your order", but the dealer might still get "your" LEAF and just sell it to somebody else, possibly for even more money.

Your real leverage is to "expose" the dealer's methods of selling here on the forum, so that others can make an informed choice.

If the dealer is offering you MSRP on car, QC option, and accessories that "you ordered", then adds about $850 (was $820) delivery, taxes, DMV fees, then that would be a "normal" deal. If you want to lease or finance or do a trade-in, then there is still room for negotiating.

Good Luck on your deal for your LUCKY LEAF. :D

Have you accepted the quote through the dashboard or not?
If so then it is done. If not then you can easily change dealer right on the dashboard. I would call around before you actually switch.

Back