is it cool to temporarily unplug unattended LEAF at QC?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
If someone is on QC, not around, and the car is at 90% or more, I have no problem unplugging them. THEY are the ones that are being discourteous...

Same here. No way I'm just going to sit around for 25 minutes while your car goes from 90% to 100%. Especially since my charging strategy rarely involves going above even 70% when quick charging.

TaylorSFGuy said:
So there is general agreement that it is okay if the charging is finished to completely unplug the other car - agreed. I am a bit surprised at the rest of the comments, but I will consider them - to me if they clearly aren't there and have left it to run its course, they have no priority over my use - just like saving a chair at poolside.
Agree with you. The usage pattern you describe is one of the other person monopolizing the QC, which makes it unavailable for others. That isn't fair, and not how QC is intended to be used. What exactly does the "Q" stand for, anyway? ;) Oh, right.

Done charging? Yes.
Mid charge? No.
Topping off (post-90%)? Only if you plug them into L2 *and* doing so wouldn't cause them to charge any slower or cost them any more money. Otherwise, no. Don't do anything that would interrupt a charging session.

2k1Toaster said:
Nubo said:
It may make a difference to THEM. It's their charging session and it's not your place to alter it, even if believe you have the laws of physics on your side.

If they are drawing charge at a the same rate that an available L2 would provide, I really fail to see the problem. Just because people are stupid, it doesn't give them the right to ignorance. Babysitting idiots is a problem that needs to stop in many aspects of society today.

Just because you may (or may not) be more knowledgeable does not give you the right to alter their circumstances. Your liberal use of the term "idiots" to demonize your peers, is suggestive of another of our societal problems. You fail to see the problem. On this we agree.

Nubo said:
2k1Toaster said:
Nubo said:
It may make a difference to THEM. It's their charging session and it's not your place to alter it, even if believe you have the laws of physics on your side.

If they are drawing charge at a the same rate that an available L2 would provide, I really fail to see the problem. Just because people are stupid, it doesn't give them the right to ignorance. Babysitting idiots is a problem that needs to stop in many aspects of society today.

Just because you may (or may not) be more knowledgeable does not give you the right to alter their circumstances. Your liberal use of the term "idiots" to demonize to your peers, is suggestive of another of our societal problems.

If someone has more information than someone else, they shouldn't feel the need to hide it. And anyone who would be angered about the L3 to L2 switchover after a simple explanation, would have to be an idiot. Not that hard of a concept.

TaylorSFGuy said:
to me if they clearly aren't there and have left it to run its course, they have no priority over my use - just like saving a chair at poolside. If there is another chair (L3), I'll use it, otherwise their towel gets set aside nicely and I'll use the chair - at least until they come back (That ought to stir up a few more comments.). To me, plugging them into L2 is not as good as reconnecting the L3.

Given the lack of response when I have unplugged the empty LEAF, I'm of the opinion they are in no hurry and I'm not inconveniencing them significantly. Thanks everyone.
Given the circumstances in this case where it's repeatedly the same car and you know they don't use a timer - I certainly don't see an issue. Might not be a bad idea to leave a note explaining why you've moved them to L2, though.

Are these stations free?

I would not unplug a car in the process of charging without contacting the owner or having made prior agreement.
L1, L2. L3 does not matter. Move along or wait.

So unplug is not cool IMO.

TaylorSFGuy said:
As I was afraid when the no charge to charge cards came out I have run across cars being left unattended on chargers. They are leaving it trying to get to 100% without regard to the damage it does to the battery. I have infercepted the same car the last three mornings.

So, I have unplugged it and put my 6kw on and then started the other car back up. Anyone see a problem with what I'm doing?
Not cool.

If they are, for example, using a no charge to charge card, they get a 30 minute session. If you plug them back in, that is another session that they would get charged $$$ for. In fact, if they are paying per session, then you interrupted what they are paying for.

Even if it is free, leave them plugged in. You can use the L2 that is generally nearby.

They were there first, and may even have had to wait to get connected. Your opinion of their choices doesn't give you extra rights.

Reddy said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
I have infercepted the same car the last three mornings.

So, I have unplugged it and put my 6kw on and then started the other car back up. Anyone see a problem with what I'm doing?
Certainly, it is not a good idea to unplug anyone, but also, it is NOT a good idea to leave a DCQC for more than a few minutes (say getting coffee or something).
I wish the users of the DC FC at http://www.plugshare.com/?location=14866#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; observed better etiquette. :roll: As I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=356517#p356517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
3/3 times I've used that DC FC, when I arrive, someone has left their car charging on the DC FC, is nowhere to be found and there's no contact info.

Unfortunately, sometimes the dealer's employees are the offenders too. One time I had my car there for warranty/recall work and asked them charge my car too. I told them it didn't need to be on the DC FC. They did put my car on there anyway (fine w/me), but as I discovered when I arrived to pick up my car, they didn't leave any contact info on my car. I recall a guy waiting to DC FC, possibly wondering where the owner was.

Now it doesn't really matter. The above DC FC have been broken for weeks. The other DC FC that I sometimes used before is now no longer free, but rather at ripoff Blink rates. No thanks.

Stoaty said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
So there is general agreement that it is okay if the charging is finished to completely unplug the other car - agreed. I am a bit surprised at the rest of the comments, but I will consider them - to me if they clearly aren't there and have left it to run its course, they have no priority over my use - just like saving a chair at poolside.
Agree with you. The usage pattern you describe is one of the other person monopolizing the QC, which makes it unavailable for others. That isn't fair, and not how QC is intended to be used. What exactly does the "Q" stand for, anyway? ;) Oh, right.
+1. Use this as an opportunity to politely let them know that you are willing to share, but also need this QC (everyday if I recall correctly) for a quick 5-10 min top up (not a 2 hour parking spot)

TaylorSFGuy said:
Well it must be more than a cup of coffee - I'm guessing the owner works nearby because I've waited until it finished once last week and they didn't come back while I charged. It was finished another time this week so I didn't bother replugging. Then this morning which was earlier than the last two days no one came back to see what had happened.

So there is general agreement that it is okay if the charging is finished to completely unplug the other car - agreed. I am a bit surprised at the rest of the comments, but I will consider them - to me if they clearly aren't there and have left it to run its course, they have no priority over my use - just like saving a chair at poolside. If there is another chair (L3), I'll use it, otherwise their towel gets set aside nicely and I'll use the chair - at least until they come back (That ought to stir up a few more comments.). To me, plugging them into L2 is not as good as reconnecting the L3.

Given the lack of response when I have unplugged the empty LEAF, I'm of the opinion they are in no hurry and I'm not inconveniencing them significantly. Thanks everyone.

ok, i see where you are at and I have to say I would have done the same. its obvious the $20 all you can eat model is the culprit here. I think you are right in deducing the guy works in the neighborhood and plugs in and probably does not return til lunch to retrieve the car in which case, he should be plugged into the L2 which would have charged his car in 3-4 hours even if it was near dead.

It is amazing how little respect or consideration some people have but then again, the thing that amazes me even more is the level of ignorance and I suspect this is the case. I would either confront him or leave him a note that he should be on the L2

kubel said:
Done charging? Yes.
Mid charge? No.
Topping off (post-90%)? Only if you plug them into L2 *and* doing so wouldn't cause them to charge any slower or cost them any more money. Otherwise, no. Don't do anything that would interrupt a charging session.

ok, lets clear somethings up here.... its a AV station we are talking about so "costing them" or anyone else more money is not an option which is the root of the problem here

Every DC QC can be adjusted within a time and charge frame
in our area we make sure QCs shuts off after the 80% or the 30 min are reached.
Contact the owner and request a change.
It should be this way everywhere.
These chargers should be used for range extension and not permanent parking.
We are working with SMUD to have a card in the front window with cell phone contact info and unplug time - this is mainly for L2
e

Back