Is Carwings text alert considered chargeable messaging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madbrain said:
Volusiano said:
Dave is right, it doesn't matter what you call Carwings service and it doesn't matter that its text messages are free, the moment I asked Tmobile to block all third party vendors that can cause a charge on my Tmobile account, I no longer receive Carwings alerts.

Hmm, that would explain why I have yet to receive any Carwings text message on my T-mobile since I got my Leaf, sigh.

It was a huge pain but I finally got it to work.
The people in tech support in India could not understand anything what an electric car and why it would send text messages ...
They kept thinking I was talking about bluetooth. sigh!!!
Finally asked to be transferred to someone in the US and the 2nd person there had a clue.
I had a ban on premium services for my account and took it off for my own number.

I had put this ban in place so that I never could get any surprise charges from accidental usage.
I have unlimited texting, and Carwings is supposed to be free so I feel like I really should not have to remove the ban.

madbrain said:
madbrain said:
Volusiano said:
Dave is right, it doesn't matter what you call Carwings service and it doesn't matter that its text messages are free, the moment I asked Tmobile to block all third party vendors that can cause a charge on my Tmobile account, I no longer receive Carwings alerts.

Hmm, that would explain why I have yet to receive any Carwings text message on my T-mobile since I got my Leaf, sigh.

It was a huge pain but I finally got it to work.
The people in tech support in India could not understand anything what an electric car and why it would send text messages ...
They kept thinking I was talking about bluetooth. sigh!!!
Finally asked to be transferred to someone in the US and the 2nd person there had a clue.
I had a ban on premium services for my account and took it off for my own number.

I had put this ban in place so that I never could get any surprise charges from accidental usage.
I have unlimited texting, and Carwings is supposed to be free so I feel like I really should not have to remove the ban.

PSMS that charge monthly fees are ones you opt into. so simply be proactive about reading T&Cs attached to any checkboxes that involves entering your cell # and you will be fine.

I have had PSMS enabled and only had a charge one time (that was reversed) but it was a bait and switch on facebook. that was like 5 years ago and facebook has actually NOT cleaned up those types of vendors but has required a bit more info upfront so its not as easy to be sucked into a $9.99 charge.

Verizon has been proactively lobbying to change the procedures that PSMS vendors operate where a "opt out" text must be responded to before any charges start.

iow; the first PSMS text (ONLY requirement for PSMS text is that they be sent from 5 or 6 digit #) states something like

We have received your request for XXX. This subscription is billed at $9.99 per month. to accept and continue respond with "XXX"

you respond accordingly, you are billed. if you do not respond (most people dont simply because they see the text header, its not someone they want to talk to, they have unlimited text, they think its harmless SPAM and delete it without reading it) no charges happen...

unfortunately, as simple as that process sounds. Verizon started the lobbying process about a year after i started working there. i no longer work there and was there for 2 months short of 8 years when i left.

Back