Is anyone really aware of what Nissan has done?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wharpiv said:
2. Has anyone noticed that 2010 & 2011 Leaf Used market has now become almost non-existant/obsolete? - I just found out a couple of days ago that the new 2013 Leafs are not selling well, so the price has been cut by $7 to $8K, with a tax refund on top of that?
What a strange 1st post.

First off, there was no 2010 model year Leaf in the US. And, as others have stated the 2013 model year hasn't even gone on sale yet, so they can't be selling at all, let alone "not selling well".

As for "tax refund", err... the Leaf has always been eligible for the $7.5K Federal tax credit. And, in the early days, those in CA could get a $5K CVRP instead of the $2.5K it is now. And, the '11 was cheaper than the '12.

I welcome the '13 model year price drops and the addition of the lower trim level.

Nubo said:
defiancecp said:
I definitely do *NOT* believe Nissan should compensate me because they reduced their pricing on later models, especially when that's what is hoped will happen to pricing.
Agreed. I never can understand that way of thinking. You buy something when you consider the product to be worth the price. A deal is a deal.
Totally agree.

I guess the OP also isn't aware of incentives on vehicles that come, go and vary all the time. He should look at http://www.cars.com/go/advice/incentives/index.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; after putting in his zip code along with http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=inc&story=incCash&subject=incentTen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I've never heard of automakers just handing out $ to previous buyers because they dropped prices or added/increased incentives.
EdmondLeaf said:
Nissan is not charitable organization, they need to make money, and same apply to Leaf. Not sure if they making money on Leaf now, but like with every other product if there is no money to be made there is no reason to continue production. Especially with new technology/product, prices are going down fast, and one just have to accept that.
Yep. From a conversation w/a Nissan rep at recent meet here (no, not at an auto show or dealer), the Leaf isn't profitable yet. It doesn't surprise me given the small # of global sales, so far.

wharpiv said:
I think Nissan should correct this. I feel that they should offer a continued tax incentive every year
Tax incentives are not offered by Nissan. They can only be offered by governments, because only governments collect taxes. The $7,500 tax credit is made available by United States law, and until or unless the law is amended it will be available (subject to tax liability) for the first 200,000 vehicles with a 4kWh or larger traction battery sold in the US by any given manufacturer. (Actually the credit varies from $2500 to $7500 for batteries between 4kWh and 16kWh.) Given that Nissan has sold about 20,000 EVs in the US in the first two years it is not likely to hit its 200,000 limit any time soon. President Obama has just given a fairly clear signal that he would not sign any bill rescinding or restricting the law.

Ray

actually our Leaf was about $31K after incentives. the big difference is that we are in the Leaf to support EV's rather than because it's the kind of car we would keep long term (the 2013 comes closer) whereas we are quite convinced we would be happy with the Tesla S for a very long time. The Leaf has lost more value quicker than practically any of the cars we've owned in the last decade... the tax rebate does indeed help mitigate some of that loss.

edatoakrun said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
...the depreciation of the Leaf has us more anxious about the decision...
You are "anxious" over the depreciation of your BEV for which you paid $20-something k (net incentives) and you are now planning to buy a BEV with a $70-something K (net incentives) price?

No, I think this is a serious post, and honestly it's a valid concern - Nobody likes to see their purchases devalue at a higher rate than they expect. Also, keep in mind that the general consumer pool - those who have not been inundated with the huge pool of information available here since before their purchase - may not have realized this was going to happen, so I can definitely see why coming from that point of view it would be upsetting.

(also the 2013 not selling well thing, come on guys you know what he meant, the 2012 sales rates ARE disappointing :) )

I disagree with the point he was making, as apparently many of you do, but come on guys don't let disagreement cloud our ability to understand the perspective and empathize.

defiancecp said:
No, I think this is a serious post, and honestly it's a valid concern - Nobody likes to see their purchases devalue at a higher rate than they expect. Also, keep in mind that the general consumer pool - those who have not been inundated with the huge pool of information available here since before their purchase - may not have realized this was going to happen, so I can definitely see why coming from that point of view it would be upsetting.

(also the 2013 not selling well thing, come on guys you know what he meant, the 2012 sales rates ARE disappointing :) )

I disagree with the point he was making, as apparently many of you do, but come on guys don't let disagreement cloud our ability to understand the perspective and empathize.
Now this is a thoughtful post. Certainly you folks don't want to turn off lurkers and discourage new posters. On various *EV related forums we are seeing a lot of new people. Many of these *EV cars are dipping into the general masses and beyond the leading edge geeks/adopters now.

There are prices cuts/sales going on for the LEAF and there are articles about it: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=261504#p261504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

defiancecp said:
No, I think this is a serious post, and honestly it's a valid concern....

Hear! Hear!

Also, let's not be fan-boys. I hate that. And it's counterproductive when it comes to having Nissan realize and correct mistakes/shortcomings.

defiancecp said:
No, I think this is a serious post, and honestly it's a valid concern - Nobody likes to see their purchases devalue at a higher rate than they expect.
and this is why in cases like these you're better off leasing instead of buying... problem solved

NSXTASY said:
defiancecp said:
No, I think this is a serious post, and honestly it's a valid concern - Nobody likes to see their purchases devalue at a higher rate than they expect.
and this is why in cases like these you're better off leasing instead of buying... problem solved
Herm said:
In truth Nissan needs to keep lowering prices, the $7500 tax credit will not be around forever.
Yep to both.

The one thing that does strike me as odd about this post is that the poster doesn't appear to have come back to check out the responses.

I would like to hear about his "software upgrade" and see if the circumstances in any way match mine.

^^^
Interestingly, I see the same post at http://www.plugincars.com/anyone-else-aware-whats-going-nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://forums.nicoclub.com/nissan-leaf-has-anyone-realised-what-s-happened-t570219.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

evnow said:
cwerdna said:
What a strange 1st post.
I'd have usually thought such a person coming from a troll. In this case perhaps just a lot of misunderstandings ...

nearly two weeks later and no follow up response?

funny in that i got my "update" before i got my SOC meter and it did not affect my reading at all. now, it could have affected my range but since my range is above average (which i contribute to my very conservative driving style) i did not give it a 2nd thought.

but my GIDs were right in line with what they should have been and reading higher than expected if anything. I still find it a bit strange that I was getting 280-281 after more than 18 months of use.

ILETRIC said:
My first LCD HDTV cost 2000 bucks, now the same TV cost 350. :lol:

Where's the beef!

Ha! , i can top that. my 55" Mitsubishi rear projection TV cost me $2600 in 2003. I could not even give it away! I ended up taking to Goodwill for Federal Electronics recycling program. at least i could drop it off there without having to pay disposal fees.

DaveinOlyWA said:
funny in that i got my "update" before i got my SOC meter and it did not affect my reading at all. now, it could have affected my range but since my range is above average (which i contribute to my very conservative driving style) i did not give it a 2nd thought.

but my GIDs were right in line with what they should have been and reading higher than expected if anything. I still find it a bit strange that I was getting 280-281 after more than 18 months of use.

Where mine, as you know, not so much. Which is why I wish the OP would check back in, or respond to PM.

mwalsh said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Where mine, as you know, not so much. Which is why I wish the OP would check back in, or respond to PM.

Michael; how does your current SOC compare to Sloaty range degradation chart? should you be that low? i am thinking not since your new readings are more like AZ numbers than OC?

Back