Is 80% Charging Possible Without Using Car Timer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

In Colorado, power is about 10 cents per Kilowatt hour regardless of the time of day you charge so using the car timer doesn't yield any benefit.

As I read the manual, you can only charge to 80% if you are using car timers. The car must be connected to the charger when the timer triggers to limit the charge to 80%. My work hours are very unpredictable so setting timers is not practical.

I have a charger at home and will soon have one at work. Why can't I just plug-in at either place any time of day or night and limit the charge to 80%?

I'm in a similar situation to you and unfortunately in order to limit to 80% charge you still have to do it through a timer. I use Timer 2 as my instant timer with only a start time set and I manually adjust it whenever I want to use it. Timer 1 is my every day timer which I program with only an end time.

Just set the start and end time to be the same (I use 12:10pm) and select 80 percent and it will then charge whenever you plug it in until it hits 80 percent.

reeler said:
I have a charger at home and will soon have one at work. Why can't I just plug-in at either place any time of day or night and limit the charge to 80%?

Just set the start time and end time to the same value as discussed in other topics / posts.
Mine is set midnight to midnight 80% charging, and car will start charging the minute you plug it in.
Some people use different start / end time, the result is the same, will start charging once plugged in.
Only drawback to midnight is that occasionally if the car has finished charging prior to midnight, and is still plugged in, the car may briefly start charging again when midnight occurs.
If you're getting charge notifications via your cell phone, that charging started and then charging stopped notification at midnight can be annoying. It did that to me once or twice, but I've turned off the cell phone notifications, so not an issue anymore.

Devin said:
I use Timer 2 as my instant timer with only a start time set and I manually adjust it whenever I want to use it. Timer 1 is my every day timer which I program with only an end time.
No need to use a timer for that. When you want an instant start and want to charge to 100%, simply press the timer disable button when the car is turned off and it will start charging immediately. And it will automatically revert back to the timer for next time.

johnr said:
Devin said:
I use Timer 2 as my instant timer with only a start time set and I manually adjust it whenever I want to use it. Timer 1 is my every day timer which I program with only an end time.
No need to use a timer for that. When you want an instant start and want to charge to 100%, simply press the timer disable button when the car is turned off and it will start charging immediately. And it will automatically revert back to the timer for next time.
I very rarely want an instant start to 100% though, this is what I use for an instant start to 80% without interfering with my regular every day timer for TOU purposes (which is the downside of setting your start and end times the same for instant 80% charging).

TimLee said:
If you're getting charge notifications via your cell phone, that charging started and then charging stopped notification at midnight can be annoying. It did that to me once or twice, but I've turned off the cell phone notifications, so not an issue anymore.

To avoid that problem, I just set my LEAF timers to 6AM to 6AM. Depending on how late you want your texts notifications, you can set yours to your schedule.

Back