Is 28 k to buy a good price?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayfromLA

Nissan in Fontana is listing a 2012 Leaf SL for a little under 28 k. Is this for real? Any bad experiences with this outfit?

That's for a new 2012 LEAF, correct? I believe that Fontana has been getting very good rep on this forum. They are a regular here, and you can probably reach Danny via PM.

Fontana Nissan is one of the best places to buy in the Los Angeles area. I bought from them, as have many others on this forum. Best car buying experience I have ever had. They are really nice people, too.

My experience with Fontana Nissan was very good, with
knowledgeable people who were trying to be helpful.

If that is a purchase price for a NEW LEAF, so that you
also get the $7500 federal tax credit, and the state $2500.
then it sounds like a GREAT price. Go get it!

Merry Christmas, Gary

KayfromLA said:
Nissan in Fontana is listing a 2012 Leaf SL for a little under 28 k. Is this for real? Any bad experiences with this outfit?

After tax cost, assuming that you do get the full tax rebate, etc. There have been better deals...

WetEV said:
After tax cost, assuming that you do get the full tax rebate, etc. There have been better deals...
Very true. However, I think $28K before government and state incentives is implied, which makes this the best deal I have personally seen yet. I would still lease, and not purchase, but that's just me. Merry Christmas.

surfingslovak said:
I think $28K before government and state incentives is implied

Don't think, go look at the ad. It is on the web.

http://www.bing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetEV said:
surfingslovak said:
I think $28K before government and state incentives is implied
Don't think, go look at the ad. It is on the web.
Hm, you might have a point. If that's the case, I'd try to negotiate something better. I recently saw a similar report in InsideEVs, and there was a $10K cash back discount from NMAC mentioned in it. I would think that better pricing than what's been suggested above should be possible.

Click to open

Click to open
leafdiscountmnl

So I went out to Fontana, and it turned out that was the price to LEASe, not buy. Did anyone else find the ad a little misleading?
I ended up getting talked into a lease, and got a horrible deal. I am really kicking myself this morning.
I am not very good at this.
I love the car, though. Drove home 71 miles without a hitch.

2999 down, 240 a month for 36 months, 12000 miles
Glendale is offering 1999 down, 2000 a month for example

KayfromLA said:
2999 down, 240 a month for 36 months, 12000 miles
Glendale is offering 1999 down, 2000 a month for example
I assume the first line refers to Fontana and the actual deal you got ($2,999 out of your pocket and a $240 monthly payment). This is not as bad as it sounds ... unless ...

The second line I assume refers to a quote you got on the phone or by ad. However, this may not be comparable to actual out-of-pocket ( and monthly $200 (not 2000) ) numbers by the time you cover the incidentals (tax, license, fees). So it's comparing apples & oranges, unless you could clarify.

The $2,999 down at Fontana (if it's the actual out-of-pocket) is just a little high, but remember, with it being 36 months you get $2,500 back from CVRP. So, your actual cash outlay is $499. Not bad for a 3 year deal.

As smkettner asks ... what are the terms of the deal (money factor, etc) ?

I looked through the paperwork I brought home, and that information did not make it back with me, so unless it is called something else on the lease agreement, I do not know. As I said, I was looking to buy. I know very little about leasing. I should not have signed on without learning more about it.
Ah well, in three years I am out, and I can get a Honda EV fit.

I don't think you did so badly at all. Nissan had some nice lease deals in December -- I got one similar to yours. How much is the residual value is at the end of the lease? If it's around $17-$18K, that means you are essentially paying a 0% interest loan for 3 years (the money factor is close to zero) -- all your payments are going into reducing the value. So, you say you like to buy. If you decide to buy it at the end of the lease, in these circumstances, you will not have lost anything by leasing and you will have had no interest for 3 years.

The best way to buy a Nissan LEAF is to lease it first.

Nissan North America seems to provide 5k to 10k better deal for leasing than for buying. I think you got a decent deal.

Back