iPhone 5...really worth it, again?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauileaf

Well, they announced it. According to the reports online and vague details on why it's newer...would you upgrade just for LTE and an extra icon display, or even just for kicks?!

If it has 4G LTE, Samsung is going to sue them since they hold a certain percentage of the patent rights. I read that a few days ago, but can't remember where I saw it.

Nothing there that would make me even remotely consider changing from my Galaxy S3 (now with Jelly Bean)...

Mauileaf said:
Well, they announced it. According to the reports online and vague details on why it's newer...would you upgrade just for LTE and an extra icon display, or even just for kicks?!

TomT said:
Nothing there that would make me even remotely consider changing from my Galaxy S3 (now with Jelly Bean)...

Mauileaf said:

How do you like your galaxy s3?

Take it from an iPad owner and android Galaxy S3 owner. There is nothing new in the iPhone 5 that the GS3 can't do other than retina display. If you like Apple and need bigger screen, then go for it. Otherwise there are more android phone options for the same or lesser price. Just go to store and try them all.

Ian B

After five years, my iphone is on it's last legs... yep, you heard that right, five years out of a cell phone, original battery, original contract has expired by a long shot, now just riding month to month. I've been holding out for the five, mainly wanted LTE on Verizon, can't wait to ditch AT&T! I am more than happy with even moderate improvements, it doesn't need to tell the future or anything, just give me more of what I already love and it looks like form the announcement that's exactly what I'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T takes in on the chin as hold outs finally switch to Versizon en mass.

Just hold the galaxy S3 10.7" away from your face instead of 10" (go ahead - be a rebel) and it is a retina display (really).

MrIanB said:
Take it from an iPad owner and android Galaxy S3 owner. There is nothing new in the iPhone 5 that the GS3 can't do other than retina display. If you like Apple and need bigger screen, then go for it. Otherwise there are more android phone options for the same or lesser price. Just go to store and try them all.

Ian B

MrIanB said:

Ian B

I guess that depends on your definition of "retina display".

Iphone 5 - 4.0 inches 1,136 x 640 pixels (326ppi)
Galaxy S3 -4.8 inches 1,280 x 720 pixels (306ppi)

Yes, the Iphone 5 has a slightly higher pixel density than a Galaxy S3 at 326ppi vs 306ppi however its due to the smaller screen size. The Galaxy has a larger AND higher resolution display...

New propritary connector: Fail
slightly larger display than Iphone 4 but smaller than everyone else : Fail

My next phone will be a Galaxy S3 and my wife probibly will ditch her iphone too... Apple is no longer the leader, not even close.

chris1howell said:
My next phone will be a Galaxy S3 and my wife probibly will ditch her iphone too... Apple is no longer the leader, not even close.

It's an improvement over the iPhone4, and the 3GS as well, most of those users will be upgrading, if they can.. Apple is expecting to sell 10 million units in the first week, they will certainly be the sales leader.

News agencies are saying they will sell enough of them to measurablly affect the US GDP.
I'm upgrading from my iPhone 4 (I skipped the 4S) but I'll probably be switching to either Sprint or Verizon, from AT&T.
I don't think the connector is a big deal, they have an adapter to the old 30 pin, for older accessories.

mitch672 said:
chris1howell said:

I don't think the connector is a big deal, they have an adapter to the old 30 pin, for older accessories.

For most people no it is not a big deal, but for anyone wanting to connect to an Open Source project it is.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, the retina display really only comes to play when you want to take that phone picture and enlarge it without seen pixels as you enlarge it. To me a cell phone pix is just a pix, I do not print or anything. It is a memory of the moment.

I went from iphone 3g to HTC Evo to Galaxy S3 and never looked back. I like customizing my phone since I bought it with whatever I want. I don't need Apple or anyone else limiting what I can do to MY phone.

Ian B

chris1howell said:
New propritary connector: Fail
No one has explained what that change gained, but for me, it seemingly stacks up like a "no deal".

Moreover, I have grown disdain for the iPhone vendors need to charge for the hot spot feature, and understand that tmobile is okay with the android hot spot... If I make the move to an android, it seems it will save me about $600 a year in service fees, and what I use, aside from my cool banking apps is deployed on android.

I may also be done with apple iPhone as I investigate.

MrIanB said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but, the retina display really only comes to play when you want to take that phone picture and enlarge it without seen pixels as you enlarge it. To me a cell phone pix is just a pix, I do not print or anything. It is a memory of the moment.

I went from iphone 3g to HTC Evo to Galaxy S3 and never looked back. I like customizing my phone since I bought it with whatever I want. I don't need Apple or anyone else limiting what I can do to MY phone.

Ian B

It's just a marketing term to say there are so many pixels per inch that your eye can not distinguish the individual pixals. It makes a small screen sound like a good thing. The iPhone 5 - 326 pixels per inch is so close to the Galaxy S3s 306 pixels per inch that they both have "reitna displays". For me I'll take the larger and higher resolution display of the Galaxy S3 for my next phone.

If Apple wanted to come out with a "Super Reitna display" they could keep the same resolution and shrink the display to 2"...

The old dock connector really, really sucked. (I don't know one person that hasn't broken one.) It was time for it to die. (10 years old?)

The device feels great, based on the short period of time I was able to touch one without security taking me down. ;-) It fits nicely in your hand, and feels lighter than it should. (FYI: I have no interest in giant screens on phones, so I have no complaints about the 4" 'taller' screen upgrade that I can still operate with one hand.) It may not be game changer geek phone, but this is a near perfect upgrade of the iPhone as the masses know it.

yeah, I think they nailed the screen size. there is such a thing as too big and I have no need for a huge screen. in the end, it's basically the iphone, prefected.

grommet said:
The old dock connector really, really sucked. (I don't know one person that hasn't broken one.) It was time for it to die. (10 years old?)

The device feels great, based on the short period of time I was able to touch one without security taking me down. ;-) It fits nicely in your hand, and feels lighter than it should. (FYI: I have no interest in giant screens on phones, so I have no complaints about the 4" 'taller' screen upgrade that I can still operate with one hand.) It may not be game changer geek phone, but this is a near perfect upgrade of the iPhone as the masses know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFhjDX-DUew&feature=player_embedded#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

;)

I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 5.

TomT said:
Of course not, esp. since you recently got a new phone. However, if you're out of contract and have an older phone, like me (with a 4), like iOS, it makes some sense to upgrade to get a better camera, finally get Siri, faster CPU, LTE, etc. It's not like the iPhone 5 will get any cheaper until right before the next gen launches. No sense in my holding out for 3 years w/my iPhone 4.

FWIW, I've had an iPhone 3G, now have a 4 and also had an older Android phone alongside the 3G and 4 for awhile.
MrIanB said:

FWIW, I upgraded from an iPhone 3G to a 4, right after launch and I don't care about the terminology and whether it qualifies as a "retina display", but the resolution of the 4 vs. the 3G (and 3GS) was amazing leap forward. It was better than any other smartphone available, at the time.

When I had the 3G and 4 side-by-side, I was surprised to find that my 3G's display looked really crappy, even at the "home screen" (grid of icons) when just looking at the text and icons. Then try looking at text on web pages zoomed out as well as pictures. There's a huge difference.

I'm sure if you had your iPhone 3G still and tried visiting the same web page at an equivalent zoom level as on your Galaxy S3, you'd also feel that the 480x320 res of the iPhone pre-4 look crappy, in comparison.
grommet said:
I didn't think it sucked that badly. I'm one of those who hasn't broken any dock connectors on either end.

Here's all the stuff I've had w/a dock connector: iPod black & white click wheel 20 gig (got it in mid 2005, seem to have lost the device in the past year or two), "Fat" Nano 4 gig, iPod Classic 80 gig, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad 2. I still use the everything listed there except the iPhone 3G and 20 gig click wheel iPod.

My dad has a click wheel b/w iPod like mine but a refurb. No broken dock connector, but he hardly ever uses it... :?

Back