Inverter on a 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetOffYourGas

I have a question regarding tapping the 12V system for an inverter on a 2013 Leaf. The topic has been discussed at length for 2011/2012 models, but the 2013 is a little different. Forgive me if I missed this already.

On the 2011/2012 Leaf, the recommendation was to never attach to the battery negative terminal. Instead, one would attach to the DC-DC converter. As I understand, this was to prevent circumventing the current monitor. Is this still true of the 2013? I assume it is, so... where is the DC-DC converter? I know a lot of things have been integrated, and it certainly looks different under the hood.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I attached the negative to a Chassis ground, which happened to be the "spare Hole" in the inverter housing.
You really can't go wrong with this arrangement.

That's the Leaf factory chassis ground on the right, and the inverter ground left and farther back.

KillaWhat said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Thanks a bunch! That looks easy enough.

No problem.
You have seen this thread?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I had, but that is a 2012 Leaf. I was specifically asking about the 2013 Leaf. Which did you picture? From your signature, I now see that you have a 2012.

GetOffYourGas said:
KillaWhat said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Thanks a bunch! That looks easy enough.

No problem.
You have seen this thread?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I had, but that is a 2012 Leaf. I was specifically asking about the 2013 Leaf. Which did you picture? From your signature, I now see that you have a 2012.

Same deal. Find a nice place back there, and chassis ground it.

I need to do this tomorrow, to check out a LCD TV I'm buying used. I've bought a 400w pure sine wave inverter and probably need to run the TV for around 5 minutes. Any tips? Should the car be switched on to keep the 12v battery topped up?

mwalsh said:
I need to do this tomorrow, to check out a LCD TV I'm buying used. I've bought a 400w pure sine wave inverter and probably need to run the TV for around 5 minutes. Any tips? Should the car be switched on to keep the 12v battery topped up?
Yes, you should have the high voltage circuits active with LEAF in Drive mode. Be sure it is in Park and set the Parking brake. You could just use On mode (punch the button twice with foot off brake) but LEAF lets the 12V voltage sag quite a bit before activating the DC to DC inverter to charge the LEAF 12V which isn't good for it.
The same as for using the LEAF for jump starting an ICE.
See the jump starting thread(s).
Don't connect direct to the 12V negative, use inverter ground, which is connected by cable back to chassis ground below the 12V negative cable in the 2011 / 2012, or use other chassis ground.

Trying to find a good safe spot. I drew an arrow to where there is a metal portion that has a bolt hole. This is towards the front corner of the car on the driver's side of the vehicle.

P1220262.jpg

hehe, this is why I ask. There is so much to consider.

Thanks for passing on your knowledge. I'm going to take a look at the DC-DC converter. The set up in the 2013 is different from the pics of earlier versions I've been looking at.

I'll post back whether I've figured it out or not. Looking at the youtube video now.

EDIT: The chassis ground works like a charm on the 2013.

TimLee said:
You could just use On mode (punch the button twice with foot off brake) but LEAF lets the 12V voltage sag quite a bit before activating the DC to DC inverter to charge the LEAF 12V which isn't good for it.

How low will the voltage get? Is the 12v accessory battery a Deep Cycle battery? If it remains above 50%, that would be fine wouldn't it? If it's deep cycle and doesn't hit 50%...

Thanks for the info.

12v_during_ON.png

According to the manual, supposedly it's ok to just have it in On mode?

foolios said:
How low will the voltage get? Is the 12v accessory battery a Deep Cycle battery? If it remains above 50%, that would be fine wouldn't it? If it's deep cycle and doesn't hit 50%...

Thanks for the info.

12v_during_ON.png

According to the manual, supposedly it's ok to just have it in On mode?
Don't know how low voltage sags in On mode before charging the 12V. I don't use On any more since using it caused battery replacement under warranty at the two year mark for anything other than brief use such as lowering or raising a window, only use Ready mode. 12V warranty is up now so want it to last as long as possible.

Battery is NOT a deep cycle battery. A low cost low amp hour factory battery. Replacement under warranty had higher amp hours than original from Japan.

I think 50% is pretty low even for deep cycle battery. 5% which the LEAF does a lot even always using Ready mode is too much for non deep cycle.

The manual is wrong sometimes :cry:

Back