Interior

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsny

Hi all

We just test drove a 2013 SV Leaf. Afterward we have the feeling that the interior feels very "economical." That is, the interior feels like it has a lot of low-end plastic-iness to it. Does anyone have a similar feeling about the interior? Are there other models/trims/years that are different? We have previously owned a Mazda MPV, Dodge Caravan, Geo Metro, Subaru Outback, Ford Explorer, and Saab 9-5. Are we jumping the gun by saying after only our first drive, that the Leaf interior reminds us too much of Wal-Mart?

The closest Leafs to test drive in our area are at least 2 hours away in different directions. Otherwise, we would answer these questions ourselves by test driving the different models. We are interested in buying used, anywhere from 2011 to 2013 models. We can also test drive new 2015 S, SV, and SL models by going 1-2 hours to the nearest dealers. Are the 2015 model interiors similar to the 2011/2012 interiors?

Thanks!

I have a 2013 SV Leaf and the seats are comfortable, but you're right that the "recycled materials" fabric has a cheap feel to it. Bottom line - if it's not right for you, don't get it. Whether it's right to anyone else shouldn't matter.

Bob

Yeah, I can see that. But I've never really noticed "fit and finish" stuff that car reviewers are always talking about. It doesn't seem any better or worse than any other non-luxury car I've driven.

pkulak said:
It doesn't seem any better or worse than any other non-luxury car I've driven.
Generally, yeah, I'd say the interior bits of the SV/SL are about on par w/other non-luxury non-econobox cars. I don't like the black interior either. To me, it's depressing and might feel/look worse.

There is however a lack of soft touch plastics on the top of the dash, unlike some other cars. Many reviewers see that as a sign of cheapness.

Most econobox cars are a step down in interior from the Leaf...

dsny said:
Afterward we have the feeling that the interior feels very "economical." That is, the interior feels like it has a lot of low-end plastic-iness to it. Does anyone have a similar feeling about the interior?

First, let me compliment you on your restraint.
While the design of the interior is nice, the materials are POO!
I guess it all depends how serious you are about having one of these, and how important the interior is to you.

I ordered a Leaf on the first day you could reserve one, but decided that if it was gong to be my daily driver and not a novelty, something would have to be done about the comfort and finish of the interior.

Back in the "early days" I was hardly alone in this upgrade path.

Leather seats, plush carpets, wood accents, infinity speakers, dynamat sound deadening mats, upgraded charging system, Larger wheels and serious tires, a CAN based meter system, a horn that is not embarrassing and the like.
I've even upgraded my sun visors to the nice 2013 models.

My seats and door panels are now gray leather that match the pale gray interior.
Genuine rosewood accents doors dash and center.
The doors sound solid now and road noise is almost non-existent.
Someone cuts me off, and I can express my audible displeasure in a now more offensive manner.
My car sticks to the road like glue, and I don't hold my breath if I run over a stone in the road.
I can tell the status and temperature of my battery pack'

There was no Tesla S in 2010.
If you can afford one, buy it.
If you want a nice compromise, buy a Leaf and make it your own.

armrest.jpg

charger-1.jpg

meter2_zps5a3f27ab.jpg

Yes, to me it is very econobox feeling...

dsny said:
We just test drove a 2013 SV Leaf. Afterward we have the feeling that the interior feels very "economical." That is, the interior feels like it has a lot of low-end plastic-iness to it.

dsny said:
We have previously owned a Mazda MPV, Dodge Caravan, Geo Metro, Subaru Outback, Ford Explorer, and Saab 9-5. Are we jumping the gun by saying after only our first drive, that the Leaf interior reminds us too much of Wal-Mart?

To be honest, I don't see the interiors of most of those cars being any better than the Leaf's. The Saab's interior is the only thing I would say is better.

I personally think Subarus have a more plasticky feel to the interiors, at least with the recent models. Geo Metros definitely do not feel any less plasticky. Up until very very very recently (post Fiat-merger), Chrysler interiors were definitely not upmarket even for the upmarket versions.

The biggest complaint about interior quality is the seat fabric (wears/stains easily) and the "spray-on" carpet.

LEAF is by no means a luxury car, but imho the finish is adequate. I've had the light cloth interior on both the 2012 and 2015 and I think it makes for a much more pleasant, clean and airy feel in the car. I was really pleased by this in the 2012 and it's ruined me for black interiors. I'm glad it's still possible to get the light color, but Nissan weirdly only gives you the choice with SV. I probably would have gone with an SL except for the fact that they force the black interior on you.

As far as quality of materials the one negative difference I note in the 2015 is the "piano black" pieces appear to be a lower quality plastic with some kind of sparkles in the mix.

Nubo said:
LEAF is by no means a luxury car, but imho the finish is adequate. I've had the light cloth interior on both the 2012 and 2015 and I think it makes for a much more pleasant, clean and airy feel in the car. I was really pleased by this in the 2012 and it's ruined me for black interiors. I'm glad it's still possible to get the light color, but Nissan weirdly only gives you the choice with SV. I probably would have gone with an SL except for the fact that they force the black interior on you.

I will agree that the black interior looks more cheap than the light colored interior. The dash especially...the black color seems to emphasize the graining which I previously never noticed with the light colored interior.

Indeed, the plastic finish pieces are craptastic. Even before I took delivery on my 2015 with 26 miles on it, the black plastic of the console was showing minor scratches. I'm guessing it's recycled ABS plastic or ssomething similar.

I much prefer the black interior on my SV to any light-colored one that will start to look dirty about six months ago. It also provides some extra heat on sunny Winter days when it's needed. The cloth is definitely too thin, though, and the out-gassing plastic is far less than pleasant.

LeftieBiker said:
I much prefer the black interior on my SV to any light-colored one that will start to look dirty about six months ago.
Nissan added dark interiors in response to complaints that the '11 and '12 (light interior only) got dirty too easily (a legit complaint, IMHO). Unfortunately, to me, they went overboard and should've also offered something in between, as well as not forcing '13+ S and SL to be black.

As I said, I don't like the black interior. It looks depressing and seems worse, to me.

Wow. Thanks for these ideas and pictures! We are definitely going to consider this when choosing a vehicle.

KillaWhat said:
dsny said:
Afterward we have the feeling that the interior feels very "economical." That is, the interior feels like it has a lot of low-end plastic-iness to it. Does anyone have a similar feeling about the interior?

First, let me compliment you on your restraint.
While the design of the interior is nice, the materials are POO!
I guess it all depends how serious you are about having one of these, and how important the interior is to you.

I ordered a Leaf on the first day you could reserve one, but decided that if it was gong to be my daily driver and not a novelty, something would have to be done about the comfort and finish of the interior.

Back in the "early days" I was hardly alone in this upgrade path.

Leather seats, plush carpets, wood accents, infinity speakers, dynamat sound deadening mats, upgraded charging system, Larger wheels and serious tires, a CAN based meter system, a horn that is not embarrassing and the like.
I've even upgraded my sun visors to the nice 2013 models.

My seats and door panels are now gray leather that match the pale gray interior.
Genuine rosewood accents doors dash and center.
The doors sound solid now and road noise is almost non-existent.
Someone cuts me off, and I can express my audible displeasure in a now more offensive manner.
My car sticks to the road like glue, and I don't hold my breath if I run over a stone in the road.
I can tell the status and temperature of my battery pack'

There was no Tesla S in 2010.
If you can afford one, buy it.
If you want a nice compromise, buy a Leaf and make it your own.

armrest.jpg

charger-1.jpg

meter2_zps5a3f27ab.jpg

Back