Interested in fully molded NEMA 14-30/14-50 adapter cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

Many of you know that I have been making adapter cables for Ingineer's EVSE upgrade and selling them on eBay and on my website evseadapters.com

Essentially I take a dryer cord, cut it shorter, and stick an L6-20 plug on the end of it. While that works just fine, a fully molded cord would be much better, don't you think? Well I have found a factory now that can make these for us, but I want to be sure that I can get enough orders to recover the upfront cost.

<< Update: I will not be offering molded NEMA 14 adapter cords at this time. Maybe later. Hand-made adapters are available though ;) >>

So, if you have an upgraded Nissan EVSE and would be interested in obtaining a fully molded adapter cord to plug in to NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 outlets (four prong outlets used for some clothes dryers and found at many RV campgrounds - I can offer them with the straight blade in the middle safely removed so it fits either outlet), would you please post a reply here and let me know how many you would want - and, if you don't mind, let me know what you'd be willing to pay. (Or if you prefer, you may send me a PM instead.) If I see enough interest in it, I'll go ahead and have them made for us. Here are some teaser photos:

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

Very nice looking. I don't have the EVSE upgrade as I do not know of any 240V outlets I can use. But if I did, I'd definitely want one of these molded cables. I'd probably pay $25 for one.

Technical Evaluation Questions:

Is the twist-lock connector an L6-20, L6-30, or higher?

Is the socket good quality, properly locking and unlocking?
(Another member got some L6-20R that were improperly
made, and they refused to unlock the inserted plug properly.)

What wire gauge is used, 12/3, 10/3, or ?

What quality of insulation (indoor/outdoor, UV, temp., etc.)?

Is there a "safe-grip" area molded into the 14-30/50 plug?

Have you had a technical person slice one open and evaluate
the wire, the pins, the connections, and the molding?

If these are Chinese-made, beware of getting a great sample, pre-paying
for a "big" order, and then actually getting poor quality product.

I too would like to get one, however I have already purchased one of your initial created ones from Ebay..... I just like the clean look. :D

garygid said:
It should be a L6-20.

garygid said:
+1 - though for such a short piece even 14ga should be sufficient as long as the insulation has a sufficient temperature rating.

garygid said:
Technical Evaluation Questions:

Is the socket good quality, properly locking and unlocking?
(Another member got some L6-20R that were improperly
made, and they refused to unlock the inserted plug properly.)

What quality of insulation (indoor/outdoor, UV, temp., etc.)?

Is there a "safe-grip" area molded into the 14-30/50 plug?

Have you had a technical person slice one open and evaluate
the wire, the pins, the connections, and the molding?

If these are Chinese-made, beware of getting a great sample, pre-paying
for a "big" order, and then actually getting poor quality product.
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your feedback. The twist-lock connector is an L6-20, as that's what fits the upgraded EVSE cord.

Yes, some connectors fit better or worse than others. So I would certainly order a sample to make sure they lock and unlock well.

The wire gauge would be 12/3 and the cable would be 12 inches length.

I believe they are "ST" insulation, but not sure what that means. Of course if they're outdoor rated it would be best. So I will have to verify that.

The plug is a standard 14-50 with no safe-grip area. The plugs are pre-molded so it would be difficult to get it modified. So, watch your fingers I guess.

To make it fit both outlets I will clip off the neutral pin.

Good idea to check the internal connections. If we decide to go ahead with this, I will first order a sample and check it out thoroughly including cutting it open to check the connections.

I was planning on buying the "Non Molded" adapter from your web site for 39 dollars until today.

It would seem to me that a fully molded unit would be more water proof and I would be willing to pay more for that feature, so maybe 49 would be a good price or the new unit.

If at all possible, ask to have half of the pin removed so it fits both 30 and 50 amp but the connector can grab the pin to help hold it in place.

I'll order one. But the offers so far of around $30 seem to me to be a bit low-ball, considering that you have to order a production run from a specialty supplier, then ship them. They'll most likely fit into the USPS Priority Mail "Small Box (about 8x8x6" I think). How about an all inclusive, including shipping, cost of $59.99.

That's what I would pay, particularly since I would be paying money to an entrepreneur living here in the USA. Of course the wire and plugs are most likely manufactured in China by slave labor kids chained to their work-benches at age 8, but let's not go there.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
I'll order one. But the offers so far of around $30 seem to me to be a bit low-ball, considering that you have to order a production run from a specialty supplier, then ship them. They'll most likely fit into the USPS Priority Mail "Small Box (about 8x8x6" I think). How about an all inclusive, including shipping, cost of $59.99.
John already sells hand-built adapters for $39/shipped and a molded L6-20R->6-50 adapter for $29/shipped. I imagine he'll sell the L6-20R for somewhere in between those two.

Can't do it much cheaper than what John is currently selling them for, and I can vouch for the quality and service from John.

drees said:
CWO4Mann said:
John already sells hand-built adapters for $39/shipped and a molded L6-20R->6-50 adapter for $29/shipped. I imagine he'll sell the L6-20R for somewhere in between those two.

Can't do it much cheaper than what John is currently selling them for, and I can vouch for the quality and service from John.

What I said .. a man's got to make some profit.

Is "John" not the same person who is offereing the moulded adaptors?

Back