Inside windows dripping with condensation.... ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdc

Twice now I have started the climate control remotely and went to drive off only to find the inside windows dripping with condensation, all windows front, side, back.

The first occurrence was a rainy day, so high humidity, 50+F, Leaf was outside at the time.

The second occurrence was another high humidity day, 50+F, Leaf was parked in garage.

Both time the car was warm and moist.

Am I missing something on the remote climate control?

Thanks

John

sounds like the car has accumulated moisture. try drying the car out on a sunny hot day with the windows down. or in a cool moist climate charge to 80% then prewarm the car for a prolonged period periodically opening all the doors and letting the moist air out, continue till you see no more condensation on the inside of the car.

moisture, mostly from our breath increases relative humidity while we drive, when the car is parked and cooling, the temp drops and the moisture condenses, accumulating in the upholstery... this is not so much of an issue with an ICE because there is so much waste heat from the engine that drying happens as a normal course of function.

program or design flaw in the climate pre heat function

it should automatically run the a/c comp to dehimidify and it does not.

dumb, nissan should correct this with some sort of update or tsib

Yes; I think of the preheat function as the "automatic window fogger". At the fixed (and quite warm) preheat target temperature, absorbed moisture comes baking out of the seats, and condenses on the window surfaces because, well, they ARE going to be the coldest ones in the cabin, by definition.

I bought a small electric dehumidifier unit (about the size of a canned ham), and leave it operating in my Leaf whenever I intend to have the preheat kick in just before leave-for-work time. It's a little clumsy routing the lowvoltage power cord through a not-quite-closed window, but it manages to suck up several ounces of water that would otherwise have drenched the windows. Disapopintingly, the car ususally still needs a touch or two of defrost on the commute, but it's better than growing moss on the windows.

kmp647 said:
Agreed. I live in Pittsburgh. If I need to wait for a dry, sunny day, it'll be a cold day in hell. ;)

kmp647 said:

You might be correct in that thinking but I would call it a side effect of Nissan doing the correct thing in not running the compressor all the time like most ICE vehicles tend to do. Saves energy. :)

I have use preheat a lot in those temps, though not often in rain, and have never had a condensation problem so this sounds unusual. Where do you live, jdc?

I've found that if you preheat with any kind of frequency, the car stays pretty dry. I've only had to go to extremes to dry the car out a few times, and that was before I started preheating nearly every day.

SierraQ said:
kmp647 said:

You might be correct in that thinking but I would call it a side effect of Nissan doing the correct thing in not running the compressor all the time like most ICE vehicles tend to do. Saves energy. :)

I have use preheat a lot in those temps, though not often in rain, and have never had a condensation problem so this sounds unusual. Where do you live, jdc?

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I tried the crack the window method yesterday. Again a cool CA Bay area morning at 50'F, in the garage, and ran the preheat for 15 minutes, warm, and no rainforest effect on the windows.

J

basic recommendations;

**if in secured garage leave windows open a few inches. this will dry out the car unless you have major issues with the garage, the car's interior will always be wetter. this happens from you getting in and out of the car while its raining and the fact the Leaf is fairly air tight.

**when parking, turn off heat, run fan on high for at least 2 minutes (better to do this as you get near where you are going)

this reduces possible condensation buildup on A/C unit that can happen if its turned off while still warm.

**once a week (or as needed if you live in Pacific NW!!) take a dry towel and wipe down all the interior glass when water starts to build up (step one eliminates this need but if you park outside and cant leave windows open) and then LEAVE the towel OUTSIDE the car. otherwise you dont change the moisture content of your car

Back