"Infinite MPG" decals (white, silver, yellow), $4.50 shipped

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FalconFour said:
Actually, on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page, I had a few encounters with a person that argued to the death that "Infinite MPG" is inaccurate, saying that the "MPGe" rating is what counts and that I'm lying by saying "infinite". No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't convince him that taking no liquid fuel does, by its very nature, mean literally "infinite miles per gallon" - and that the MPGe rating is an "equivalency", not actual MPG which is technically infinite. Worst part was... he's a fellow LEAF driver! Strange. I dunno. Maybe an OCD thing for him or something. :lol:

Please show your work. Solve for miles and gallons:

Miles / gallons = infinity

Not trying to be an ass but I'm curious how the math works out to proof this.

This is purely an academic argument that has nothing to do with how great it is not to use gasoline, but I will weigh in:

Infinite miles per gallon implies that you can go buy a gallon of gas and then drive forever on it. That is not the case. It is more accurate to say that we get 0 miles to the gallon. I can go buy a gallon of gas, but I still won't be able to drive my car without charging it.

If someone invented a car that ran on carrots we could talk about all other cars getting infinity miles/carrot, since carrots are irrelevant to their operation.

I like "Not-a-number MPG" but doubt many would get it.

garymelora said:
This is purely an academic argument that has nothing to do with how great it is not to use gasoline, but I will weigh in

So will I :) I like the "miles per dollar" comparison, myself. That's how all cars should be rated. Granted, the fluctuating fuel price makes it less precise, but still...

ObiQuiet said:
garymelora said:
This is purely an academic argument that has nothing to do with how great it is not to use gasoline, but I will weigh in

So will I :) I like the "miles per dollar" comparison, myself. That's how all cars should be rated. Granted, the fluctuating fuel price makes it less precise, but still...

Interesting idea. M/$ would change a lot, but would reflect changing fuel cost and any regional fuel cost differences. As cost rises, M/$ goes down. Too complicated for general use?

We might as well just use M/kWh stickers and start educating. A lot of people don't seem to know what a kWh is.

Infinite MPG is invalid as there are no gallons. Even if you drove a Volt, never burned any but a drop of gas on EMM, it would still be stretching the truth.

Zero MPG is what I get, and proud of it! Not really so proud about averaging 4.1 M/kWh, but having a ball anyway.

So, FF, what other stickers can we get?

I love you guys. :mrgreen:

That actually sounds pretty good. I still think "Infinite MPG" makes a good argument, since cars are almost exclusively run on gasoline. Knowing at a glance that "infinite MPG" isn't really a rational statement (like "carrots per mile"), I believe the bumper perspective makes a good point: that the missing element is "gallons". :cool:

So does "Zero gallons per mile". I'd go for that... here's a draft of my first take on it:
zero%20gallons%20per%20mile%20draft.png

I seriously couldn't find a reference for the battery-gauge icon on the dash. Google as I may, I had to take a screenshot of the owner's manual PDF, and this is the grainy result I'll have to smooth out. :?

Also curious about implementing M/kWh or M/$ as well... problem is, you're right, people (at least, here in Fresno) are dirt dumb about power consumption and kW/kWh. Most people I've run into would be amazed to know they can figure out their MPG by just resetting the trip meter in the car ("oh, so that's what that's for!"). They figure car efficiency by "dollars to fill" and "weeks between fills". :/ Only choice is presenting information in extremes. :lol:

I've got that icon in a photoshop format as a vector shape (recreated it myself). Have at it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rhugtr1e57ni9j/electric%20pump.psd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beautiful! Thanks!

Also got some other concepts I'm mulling over... problem is, each design has a pretty steep setup cost for the first run. Have to make sure each one is going to be a good seller. Different color options are free-for-all, and I can request them in any color. Also turns out yellow isn't as popular as I thought it'd be - only about 4 sold so far. :lol: What other colors sound good?

As for the silver, I believe it's similar to the silver Leaf color appearance, but I haven't seen another Leaf in person for so long I tend to forget. :(

Guess I'd go with white. Your pic on page 1 makes it look good in the rear window. Leasing, so wont put it on the bumper anyway.

Will go with whatever version you come up with, Zero MPG, Zero gallons per Mile, with or without the icon, or 4 M/kWh.

If you substitute "Zero" for the infinity symbol, you'd be half set up already.

FalconFour said:
...So does "Zero gallons per mile". I'd go for that... here's a draft of my first take on it:
zero%20gallons%20per%20mile%20draft.png
I like that mock-up a lot! Both the pump/plug symbol and the words. So, my vote would be to go with that. So far as color, one advantage of white is that it won't fade.

I tend to favor inside the window designs since I don't like to mar the outside of my car with stickers. In the past I've made my own by printing on static cling film and then painting the back. But just taping a bumper sticker to the window would work fine.

Well, I'd be doing the same die-cut vinyl decals with that design (in the same white and silver, plus any other color suggestions) as I do with "Infinite MPG" now. I could make a mirror design, though, which would be applied to the inside of the window instead... but that also prevents you from putting it in the highly-visible blackened area around the window like I've got mine. Not sure if a mirrored design will have any extra set-up cost, but if anyone's interested in a mirrored die-cut version for the inside of the window, I can look into that.

Sounds like I'd better get started on the proper artwork for the Zero Gallons per Mile sticker! :mrgreen:

Now that you mention it, if the sticker was sized about the same as your infinity version, putting it on the outside of the window in the blackened area would work well. I never noticed how large that area is before. And it is a high visibility location, as you say.

I get a lot of dust and mud on the rear window (and hatch), although that is likely to be less of a problem for those in cities.

dgpcolorado said:
I get a lot of dust and mud on the rear window (and hatch), although that is likely to be less of a problem for those in cities.

Less maybe, but still always the dirtiest part of the car. Aerodynamics. Have to hose the back off all the time.

Hah... back of mine gets dusty as heck too :lol: Didn't even think it was an aerodynamics thing!

Organizing the Central Valley National Plug-In Day event has been taking up all my free time this past week, so when I fire the banner off for printing, I'll also check into decal printing and such with the same company. I'm still planning on doing that "Zero gallons per mile" decal, so expect to see that up soon :D

Last weekend, when we were showing off our cars in "the raisin capital of the world", one woman saw your infinity mpg decal and really got it. She said, "Oh, it must be all electric." And then started a conversation. So, you're sticker worked (at least once!).

Disclaimer, the sticker is on the back of my Mitsubishi i-MiEV, not my LEAF. I think it looks cool!

I finally got around to putting another idea to print. After a year-and-a-half of driving electric in a city that knows nothing about EVs, I found that one of the biggest challenges I could tackle is the perception of the Leaf as "Nissan's Prius" - that god-awful word "Hybrid" that instantly evokes ideas of underpowered wussy engines with zero driving excitement.

To illustrate that point, I came up with "Not a Hybrid".

Cut from the same vinyl material this "Infinite MPG" decal is (which is still for sale, but very slow), this works in the same way - no backing, removes cleanly even after a year in 100+ degree heat on a black car. (personal experience!)

This is just a mock-up created from the version I plan on having made into decals. I'd love to get some feedback on it. I might just cross-post this elsewhere on the forum as well since this isn't a very high-traffic discussion area (and I hope that's OK). :)

edit: wow, no BBcode? There's some love for past contributors... :/
edit edit: worth a silver upgrade though :cool:

Back