Inexpensive building block for adapters?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnolddeleon

Someone (Sorry I don't remember who it was) at the last Bay Area LEAF meeting pointed out Americord as an inexpensive source 5-15P to L6-20R adapters. Looks like you can buy a 5-15P to L6-20R cables for about $7.00 from Americord, $14 shipped for 1 or for 4 of them for about $40.

http://www.americord.com/5-15p-to-5-15r-locking.html

Chop the 5-15P off and you have L6-20R with a short pigtail ready for a plug. The wire is only 14 AWG but I believe that should be fine.

A premade 6-50P to L6-20R cable is also available for about $12

http://www.americord.com/6-50p-to-6-20r-locking.html

arnold

Thanks for sharing this info, Arnold. I wish this info had come out a month or two earlier since I already bought and made my adapters already.

Anybody has any comment about whether it's worth spending a little more to get the 12 AWG size wire or whether there should be no issue with the 14 AWG wire here?

It is rated up to 15 amperages, 125 volts, and 90°C.
The 5-15 to 6-20 adapter is probably fine since the car will only (normally) draw 12A, but using this as a pigtail for making other adapters is probably NOT advisable. It is not rated for 240V (as per their page) and only up to 15A, when a rev2 modified evse will draw 16A. You'd be asking for trouble. Even the 6-50p to 6-20r adapter you linked to is only listed at 15A. Please be sure to pay attention to both the amps and volt ratings. You don't want to melt your wires and start a fire...

The insulation is rated for 600V, not at all concerned about 120V versus 240V.

Using 14AWG wire for 16A load was the only thing that I had some concern about. As best as I can tell the ampacity of 14AWG is more than sufficient. Given that pigtail is less than 1 feet, there are only 2 current carrying conductors in the bundle, it's in open air I believe it should work with plenty of margin (although you'll never get a listing for it).

arnold

You may be right, according to the standard AWG charts, 14 gauge insulated is rated to 19A. I was just going based on their listed specs...

I'm actually selling these same 5-15P to L6-20R adapter cables on ebay for $20. But I'll sell to forum members for $15 including shipping. Just give me your forum name when you buy, I'll adjust the invoice for you.

BTW, the reason it's rated to 15 amps and 120 volts is simply the 120V plug on the end. According to electrical code, a standard 120V plug (NEMA 5-15) must be rated no higher than 15 amps and 120 volts. Except for that, the cord can easily handle 240V. So you can cut off the plug and use it to make adapters. Since the cable is short, it should be able to safely handle up to 20 amps.

Edit: Now offering several adapters for sale - check my ebay listings here -> http://www.ebay.com/sch/discountsolar/m.html?_nkw=nissan+leaf

johnr said:
I'm actually selling these same 5-15P to L6-20R adapter cables on ebay. But I'll sell to forum members for $11 including shipping. Just ask.

BTW, the reason it's rated to 15 amps and 120 volts is simply the 120V plug on the end. According to electrical code, a standard 120V plug (NEMA 5-15) must be rated no higher than 15 amps and 120 volts. Except for that, the cord can easily handle 240V. So you can cut off the plug and use it to make adapters. Since the cable is short, it should be able to safely handle up to 20 amps.
Can you please paste the URL for me?

Back