Increasing range and m/kWh. Spring is on the way!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Thought a new thread might be appropriate, rather than posting on any of the multiple depressing "cold weather" threads.

Post your experiences, as you like.

Yesterday, I started the day's drive with 5 bars of temp, for the first time since November.

Just the last few weeks, as it has warmed up here in North California, the increase in efficiency, and the larger usable battery capacity, have both began to increase my range, noticeably.

Posted below, are my Carwings m/kWh figures since delivery (*May-July are incorrect, CW pre-update).

I don't expect that 4.7 kWh average for March to last. Just a couple of warm days driving for this month, so far.

I do think I'm recovering a good chunk of my observed 10-12 percent winter range loss back (about half of that in battery capacity, and half in vehicle efficiency, as near as I could tell) now that temps are moving up.

Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh*
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh *
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh*
Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Silver 3457 4.5 miles/kWh
Oct/2011 Silver 3640 4.2 miles/kWh
Nov/2011 Gold 2792 4.2 miles/kWh
Dec/2011 Gold 2827 4.0 miles/kWh
Jan/2012 Gold 2547 4.2 miles/kWh
Feb/2012 Gold 2354 4.4 miles/kWh
Mar/2012 Gold 1752 4.7 miles/kWh

Even saw a sixth bar on the battery one day last week in Texas (80+ degree day). I notice the difference from morning to night on my m/kWh (we have large temp swings). However, the trend is definitely from 4.x to 5.x; just laying off the heater has made a big difference for me.

Took a rather long trip Sunday, over 90 miles with temps in the 70's. I was anticipating having to stop for a bit of charge about 10 miles from home, but the pack surprised me. There was a considerable stretch of single-lane 55 mph highway and so I maintained 55 so as to not antagonize drivers behind me. Not entirely successful of course. There is no quicker way to become an ass in our society than to travel at the maximum legal speed.

Back