I'm not "OK" for 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla is now my favorite car... "We are leaning toward consumer freedom and common sense..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUHZlikEo9g#t=01m25s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lpickup said:
Therefore in my opinion, it should be perfectly sufficient for the OWNER of the vehicle to acknowledge it once and be done with it.
At least cut it to once a month or once a year. Garsh once a day would even help.

You'll change the radio station but clicking "ok" is annoying? How is it different than fastening your seat belt or pressing the brake to shift out of "park?"

We also have OnStar in our other car and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. What is it you people are doing or hiding that it bothers you so much?

I see it as data gathering so that they can make my experience better. I don't care if they watch where I go. I'll even share my week with you... Work, Home, Target, In laws, liquor store, home, work, home, work, home...etc.

Seriously? You need to organize a "protest" because they're spying on you? I'll tell you what I want. I want it to just know that I'm okay with them tracking my progress all the time. I just don't want to hit "ok" every time. If I want to turn it off, I will.

McDavis said:
cdub said:
You guys are insane. Of all the things in this world to get worked up about.

AMEN!
Eventually, someone like coastaletech.com will make a hack for it, then you'll not only override the OK button, you'll be able to input locations ... phone dial ... backup camera view and such, on the fly.

TEASE! :lol:

When are you going to make this available Phil?

If you are looking for another issue to resolve, :? We have two phones stored n the LEAF, the default phone to connect to is my wife's. If I get in the car by myself I change it to connect to my phone. Being old and forgetful I often forget to put it back to her phone. Our Jetta would try hers first and when it couldn't it would connect to my phone. She thinks the LEAF should behave the same way. I agree.

Any thoughts on this issue? :D

jimcmorr said:
If you are looking for another issue to resolve, :? We have two phones stored n the LEAF, the default phone to connect to is my wife's. If I get in the car by myself I change it to connect to my phone. Being old and forgetful I often forget to put it back to her phone. Our Jetta would try hers first and when it couldn't it would connect to my phone. She thinks the LEAF should behave the same way. I agree.
No, the LEAF should connect to ALL phones that are within range, not just one.
Again, my $70 cordless Bluetooth phone does a better job than my $30K LEAF in this respect. It connects to up to 2 cells simultaneously. If either cell rings, the phone rings. For outgoing calls, there is one additional menu after hitting TALK to select which cell to use for the call (okay, one pet peeve I have with the phone is that it knows if there is only one cell connected--it's got LED lights on it that show the connected status for each cell--then it should just use that cell without prompting). Why can't the LEAF work that way?

Thanks Lance. I've had my LEAF for a week and have not acclimated to all its features. She complained that her phone did not connect the other day and I guess I made a rash assumption. :shock: I will pay closer attention to this next time we are both in the car.

:D

jimcmorr said:
Thanks Lance. I've had my LEAF for a week and have not acclimated to all its features. She complained that her phone did not connect the other day and I guess I made a rash assumption. :shock: I will pay closer attention to this next time we are both in the car.
No, what you said was absolutely correct. I was just extending the complaint to my own complaint!

The current behavior of the LEAF is that it will automatically connect to the last phone it connected to. If the phone is not in range, it just gives up. It doesn't then try an alternate one, like you were asking for. And it doesn't just connect to ALL phones in range like I was asking for.

The best way to get the phone connected (that I've found) is:

1) Hit the button the steering wheel that looks like a phone handset. This will try to connect the phone but it will fail. But at least it will bring you to the right menu.
2) From there you can hit Connected Phones, then select the phone you want to connect, and finally hit Connect (if I remember all the steps correctly).

So that's 4 presses. If you can think of a better way, let me know.

i push the OK button.
what is the big deal?

if i did resent it, it would be more at the collection of my data than at having to agree to be snooped upon.

I suppose we can blame our litigious society for this problem. It is really amazing how much garbage we have to deal with in our daily lives that exists solely for the purpose of preventing somebody from getting sued.

However, I really do not understand why it is necessary to agree to this every time we get into the car. I would think whoever owns the car should agree to it and be done with it. If anyone else ever complained about the privacy issue after borrowing somebody else's leaf I'd say that is their own problem for driving somebody else's car.

My 9 year old daughter is usually the one riding with me most of the time and it is her job to press OK when we get into the car.

Unfortunately this modification is super-difficult to install, requiring extensive disassembly of a tight and complex mechanism with about 50 tiny screws, many covers and brackets, and a handful of different circuit boards.

pic

Once inside it then requires soldering of numerous little wires onto tiny surface-mount pads that are barely visible to the eye. For the time being, I can't figure out a way to easily offer it, but I'm going to keep thinking about it. There may be other ways to skin this cat!

As for the Bluetooth issue, I don't see being able to fix this without investing hundreds or even thousands of man hours unless Nissan (or rather Clairon, the manufacturer) releases the source code to me. There is a large movement afoot to convince the auto makers to start using extensible and open systems in their vehicles, such as Linux/Android, which would allow more and easier aftermarket customization and updates. This would also free the automaker from the burdens of developing systems that almost always seem out of date by 10 years.

-Phil

Thanks Phil! :D

For now I will have to be happy to press the OK. I think adric22 has a really good solution, too! I'll have my grand daughter do that chore once I can get my house in NH sold and get moved to GA.

Maybe the Bluetooth issue is worth mentioning to the folks at my Nissan dealer. They seem to listen to me as a knowledgeable resource. Maybe they would bring it to their tech reps.

adric22 said:
However, I really do not understand why it is necessary to agree to this every time we get into the car. I would think whoever owns the car should agree to it and be done with it.
Mark Perry claimed privacy laws as the reason for the nag in yesterday's web chat, and the fact that they vary from state to state, but that they are looking to see if they can get by with a less frequent (monthly) nag. I wouldn't hold my breath for that. It's probably way down on their priority list, and who knows if the platform even easily supports a time-based check like that.

You can bet that when governments decide they must charge a per-mile road tax for EVs, they will get over the lawyer angst and/or change the laws, we will lose the ability to say "no", and the extra step will go away!

Back