I'm a 3.7 miles/kWh flunkee

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
Wow. That seems hard to do in such a warm climate. Lots of 75 mph on the freeways?

Hammering the living heck out of it at every opportunity. I'm flying past people doing 75mph on the freeways, and sometimes even those doing 75mph on surface streets.

Got me some battery to kill, son!

mwalsh said:
Hammering the living heck out of it at every opportunity. I'm flying past people doing 75mph on the freeways, and sometimes even those doing 75mph on surface streets.

That ought to do it! I find that driving at high kW increases my battery heat quite a bit (for me it is usually when going up hills).

mwalsh said:
dgpcolorado said:
Wow. That seems hard to do in such a warm climate. Lots of 75 mph on the freeways?

do what gassers do; sit in the mall parking lot with the A/C blasting away. battery degradation "handsfree!"

I'm in the efficiency mindset, but can't help flooring it occasionally- merging on-ramps, moving left to make a turn lane, etc. Based on my usual driving, people probably think the Leaf is just a slow econo box. Not so when I instantly pass them. Fun!

knightarmor said:
Are you guys just reading the m/kwh average that the Leaf gives you on the display?
Yes. I reset the one on the dash monthly and reset the one on the console daily. The two readings are about 0.1mile/kWh different, which seems to be typical on older LEAFs IIRC. But they are fine for tracking changes in driving style or the effects of weather on efficiency.

Like Dpgcolorado, I reset 1 every charge cycle and the other the first of every month. I reset the one in the navigation unit every month and the one in the dash in front of the steering wheel every charge cycle. They were about 0.1 mile/kWh different on the 2011 (navigation screen always read higher). Both displays read the same on the 2015 (for the first day of the month). I average about 4 mi/kWh on the dash which is about 3 mi/kWh for actual energy use from the wall.

Gerry

resetting Miles/kwh meter daily is something we all should be doing. This is a good indicator of when things are changing, most of which is probably bad. There is always a daily fluctuation involved with this but how does one learn it if they don't get exposed to it?

I tend to challenge my maximum range more than most here as part of my routine driving needs for work. I do use this meter as part of a guideline to see how well I am doing in attaining the daily goal. This allows me to execute "risky" (not to me but others may have a different opionion) behaviors with minimal concern. I do owe part of my "bravery" to my resetting this meter daily and the familiarity it gave me.

Yesterday; my planned drive for work was 84.1 miles and ended up being 88.1 with a few detours. Morning drive was light drizzle, evening drive was a downpour. I had anticipated rain so drove a bit slower in the morning which turned out to be a pretty good idea. Morning commute was at 4.5 miles /kwh which dropped to 4.2 miles/kwh by the time I got home despite the fact that parts of the drive were at 35-40 mph on the freeway. (FYI; one of the heaviest rains we have had in years. the evening drive was after the worst of it but was still pretty bad)

With the dropping temperatures, I'm down below 3.0, probably around 2.8 averaged over the past two weeks. This weekend was a nice reprieve - it hit 75F, and I was back up at 3.5!

Back